This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

European Travel Recommendations

edited March 2009 in Everything Else
The MacRosses are going on a European vacation (1 to 1½ weeks sometime in July or August) with our aprox. 500,000 American Express Rewards Points. We can't go to Iceland, Australia, or Japan (the destinations we were originally looking into), but we can go almost anywhere in Europe.
We are currently considering a trip to Edinburgh for the International Festival and Fringe Festival, but we are open to other cities/events. We've both traveled internationally before, but only in College in study abroad situations (and Canada, but that hardly counts when your State shares a boarder with it).
As an aside, we can also use the points for a Caribbean, Central American, or South American vacation. Our interests are more inclined to European Nations for this particular trip, but if there is something amazing that someone recommends, we would definitely consider it.

Any recommendations, tips, or travel guides y'all can share?

Comments

• Old castles.
  • edited March 2009
    Venice. (WARNING: August is a horrible time to go - far to warm)
    Dresden.
    London.
    Paris.
    Pompeji (is the fucking shit when it comes to ruins)
    St. Petersburg.

I've been to Edinburgh during the Fringe Festival, and it was really awesome. Another place I'd recommend to you in England, aside from London, is Oxford. My brother goes to Uni there and it's just such a fun place to be. ^_~

But only having 1 and a half weeks there really aren't that many things you can discover. Venice, or Prague, or Florence, or even Dresden take you days to see on their own.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • How about Denmark? I've heard Copenhagen is a really cool place to go in the summer. My co-worker recommends it highly, and says that the people were friendly and there were lots of bicycles.

Also, Italy or southern France. Mrs, don't you speak French a little? Maybe Nice is nice. Rome?

If it were me, I'd probably stick to the north (Norway, Sweden, and Denmark) but that's just because I want to visit there myself.
  • Old castles.
    With tapestries.
  • edited March 2009
    Old castles.
    With tapestries.
    You'll find castles almost anywhere in Europe. Scotland especially.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • You're an old castle.
  • Norway. Specifically, go north of the arctic circle (or close to it) and experience perpetual day (since you'll be in the summer).
  • Old castles.
    With tapestries.
    This IS a castle, and we have MANY tapestries.
  • This IS a castle, and we have MANY tapestries.
    If you are a German prince, I am mickey mouse!
  • Anything specific you're into? Periods of history? Art? Music? You're a bit vague. The Fringe is alright, but if it is your first big trip to Europe there are more interesting places to go and things to do. Edinburgh is a great city to visit... except during the Fringe!
  • It all depends on if you are willing to do a bit of traveling during your holiday or just want to stay in one place. Edinburgh is a brilliant place and the festival is truly awesome. If you want to stay in just one place for the whole time I would recommend that, there is loads to do both in and around Edinburgh and yes that does include one of the best castles going and lots more castles within driving distance Scott.
  • edited March 2009
    It isn't my first big trip to Europe. I spent a semester in England, Scotland and Whales with excursion trips to France and Ireland (it was an in depth study of British Romantic Authors from William Blake to Clive Barker). Adam hasn't been to Europe (he studied abroad in Japan). I've visited Edinburgh before, but not during the Festival. My interest was piqued when several of the Professors in my Theatre program recommended it for some great shows.
    Like I said, I am not married to the idea of attending the festival. Adam and I have a wide tastes and interests in visual and performing Arts as well as history. We could get really excited about almost anything. While we do appreciate the outdoors, we aren't the rough and rugged type. We also aren't interested in resort or beach vacations. Since we will have less than two weeks, I don't want to stretch ourselves too thin by traveling from one city to the next in quick succession, I would rather focus on a specific area with limited excursions. That doesn't mean we need a huge city, juts a nifty/lovely place with neat food, people and a particular cultural interest would be fun.

I've heard some great things about Croatia lately. Anyone visited?

@Scott: I have seen several castles. I know it isn't the frilliest, but Chepstow was my favorite castle. It is located near Tintern Abbey (even cooler than Chepstow, even though it is not a castle).
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited March 2009
    I'm very biased because of my heritage, but Spain is incredible. My family usually goes for three week stints to see most of the country, but you can make one and a half weeks into a tour of a spectacular city. My family hails from Valencia, and I still think it's one of the prettiest places on the planet. Narrow cobblestone streets, huge gothic buildings, cathedrals, castles outside of the city, and the Mediterranean. Go in mid-July if you can, because eventually the African wind comes up across the straits and makes things searingly hot. Valencia has had sandstorms-- where all of the sand comes from Africa over the sea.

Also, Spain's train system is pretty incredible. You could probably see a lot in a week and a half if you used the bullet trains right. And as far as food and culture goes: tapas bars and flamenco. That's all you need, but there is always more.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited March 2009
    If you're tired of castles, why not check out some temples? You can find some awesome-looking ones in most parts of China and Japan. About other places... well I'm not as familiar with those as I am China and Japan, but they probably have some temples, too. How about Horyu-ji? They say it's one of the oldest wooden buildings in the world, though it's been restored a few times since it's been built (duh).

Horyu-ji
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • Leeds, West yorkshire, UK. It's a nice city - better than London in my opinion - and there's lots of stuff nearby. It's also not too far away from Dracula's Castle in Whitby.
  • edited March 2009
    Leeds, West yorkshire, UK. It's a nice city - better than London in my opinion - and there's lots of stuff nearby.
    Lies!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • That doesn't mean we need a huge city, juts a nifty/lovely place with neat food, people and a particular cultural interest would be fun.
    Helsinki (I am biased though ;-) ).

If you want a big city there are only a few options; Rome, Paris, London, Vienna and Madrid. Any of these have an immense amount of cultural and historical offerings. Rome and Madrid will be very hot at the end of the summer. My personal favorite is Paris. Vienna is close to Prague and Budapest, both of which are distinctly eastern European.
  • There are a lot of good suggestions here, but Milan is always a nice place to go
  • If you like Edinburgh, you'll like Prague. And if you like Prague, you might as well hit some other former Eastern Block cities too. Go on a trip from Berlin to Vienna, with Dresden and Prague along the way. That will fill two weeks very nicely!

If you have already experienced Edinburgh without the crowds, and just want to see the shows, Edinburgh will do you well.

There are cities that could keep my interest for a week, but two weeks in any one city is pushing it. But the biggest cities aren't always the most pleasant. London and Paris are packed full of things to do, but in the summer are overcrowded (London always so, and Paris too in a smelly kind of way) but in the spring they are both much more pleasant.

Venice is only good for a day. Rome is massive, but not exactly relaxing.

If you ask "What about this city?" I can give you more opinions, but for now I'm being a bit too vague. Hope the above helps a bit though.
  • Norway. Specifically, go north of the arctic circle (or close to it) and experience perpetual day (since you'll be in the summer).
    Fuck it, Pete, let's just go to Norway. I want to.
    He just wants to dress up as a viking and listen to metal while sailing the seas in his knarr, wielding his axe.
    He just wants to dress up as a viking and listen to metal while sailing the seas in his knarr, wielding his axe.
    GET OUT OF MY HEAD!
  • If you're tired of castles, why not check out some temples? You can find some awesome-looking ones in most parts of China and Japan. About other places... well I'm not as familiar with those as I am China and Japan, but they probably have some temples, too. How about Horyu-ji? They say it's one of the oldest wooden buildings in the world, though it's been restored a few times since it's been built (duh).
    Horyu-ji
    Asia isn't an option and who gets bored of castles? ^_~
    If you ask "What about this city?" I can give you more opinions, but for now I'm being a bit too vague. Hope the above helps a bit though.
    That is exactly our problem, we have a laundry list of interests and far too many options. We may not be able to do any major travel for the next few yeas, so we want to make the most of it. We had precise plans for our top three locations (Iceland, Australia and Japan), but they are not available, so we have to start from scratch. We are both blessed and cursed with too many options. ^_^ You are making some great suggestions that we are going to look into tonight. We've been reading through travel guides (a lot of which keep bringing up Croatia), but again - it is a glut of options.
  • 1) Watch Rick Steves' Europe on PBS.
    2) Avoid western European tourist cities.
    3) Roman architecture in Eastern bloc countries = win.
  • Wikitravel is a great tool, but for destinations off the beaten track can be a bit vague.

Croatia is an interesting country. I was last there two years ago, visiting Dubrovnik. The old city is just amazing. The thing is you can see pretty much everything there is to see in a day, but it takes about a day to get there unless you are flying in.

The last time I saw other places in Croatia was back in 1993, when their civil war had just come to an end, and I only went to Zagreb and Osijek. I imagine it has changed significantly since then. But if I was going to do any train journeys, I think the Balkans Express from Zagreb to Belgrade to Sofia to Istanbul would be the trip for me. I'd love to spend a few days in all those cities, and ending in Istanbul would be a dream come true.

Keep throwing ideas our way and us Europeans will do our best to add incites and suggestions!

PS. Iceland is fucking awesome.
  • PS. Iceland is fucking awesome.
    Yeah, it is our first choice, but we may not be able to make it work with the points system. Since the points are a gift from my Ma, I'm not complaining at all. ^_^
  • I would top up the points with my own money to go back to Iceland. I want to do another big jeep adventure, plus a 5 day horse riding excursion. The volcanic landscape is like nowhere else I've been.
  • I would top up the points with my own money to go back to Iceland. I want to do another big jeep adventure, plus a 5 day horse riding excursion. The volcanic landscape is like nowhere else I've been.
    It isn't the amount of points, it is the way they transfer to the limited airlines/hotels. We don't have a lot of money at this time, so we need to get the most "bang for our points" so to speak. We've called AmEx and they are looking into flights/hotels in Iceland and how far our half a million points could go. (Iceland would also be a significantly shorter flight, taking up less of our time and limiting jet lag.)
    And then spend the rest of your days feasting in Valhalla in preparation war? Damn, that's a pretty good life.
    And then spend the rest of your days feasting in Valhalla in preparation war? Damn, that's a pretty good life.
    Until Loki fucks it up for everyone.