This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Advice would be appreciated

edited March 2009 in Everything Else
Due to the lack of jobs in Rochester, I'm moving away for a while. I was scheduled to move out yesterday, but there was something of a mishap. Here's what happened:

According to three of my housemates (Sam, Monica, and Robert), my landlord (Gary) called them Saturday saying that I had vacated, and that they should move my stuff out of the house. I had paid my last month's (Feb) rent, and was scheduled to move out Sunday. When I got home Sunday, I discovered most of my stuff on the porch, with a few items missing. These are an iPhone, a DS, and my external hard drive, which contains all of my data, movies, etc. It seems that three of the housemates (Sam, Monica, and Bill) had moved all of my stuff out, then someone (unknown) had moved my computers down to the basement.

I called the police over, and they said that it was a civil matter, and that they couldn't do anything. I'm not sure what to do next.

Are the three housemates that moved my stuff legally responsible for anything lost/stolen? I know one of them stole my DS, because I found a cellphone charm that had been carefully taken off of it. This would seem to imply intent (stealing) rather than carelessness (misplacing).

How should I go about suing them, and/or the landlord?

Besides being pissed off at them moving my stuff, I'm also worried that they destroyed my desktop. I haven't plugged it in and tested it yet.

Maybe I should put this in "Fail of your day"? Hah.

Comments

• Are you sure (or, should it become a legal matter, can you prove)that they stole them as opposed to leave them outside and someone just pilfered them?
  • edited March 2009
    If you want legal advice, get a lawyer. Seriously, otherwise you can get royally fucked over.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited March 2009
    I'd second the finding a lawyer thing. Also, if you could've got pictures of what happened that would have helped.
    Edit: Get pictures of the desktop PC, video of trying to turn it on might help too.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I'm pretty sure that it was theft, as I have the cellphone charm that I usually have attached to my DS. It was pretty carefully removed. Either way, I was informed that they are responsible for the value of the items even if they were pilfered by passing thieves. I'm looking into getting a lawyer today. If anyone has any tips, or was in a similar situation before, feel free to share.
  • You can get a free consultation with an attorney, but (depending on the specific laws in your area and the value of the items) it may not be worth it for you or an attorney to pursue.
  • This is why it's so much better to live by yourself.

Good luck in trying to get this all sorted out. That really sucks.
  • So I searched and found this thread. I guess this fits here the best. So I just found out that someone I went to school with died on Sunday. This guy was a complete ass to me. He beat me up and made fun of me till I cried (at home, never in front of him). I do have a couple of good memories of him. He was my lab partner in 8th grade and listening to his jokes and to him making fun of others was amusing. About a year ago he got in touch with me via facebook. He wrote me a long letter and apologized for his actions, I didn't reply. Well the wake is tomorrow. Do I go?
  • edited July 2011
    Yes. No action by any man, short of a campaign of terror against you, is so bad that you can't give him the respect of showing up at his wake.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • edited July 2011
    He wrote me a long letter and apologized for his actions, I didn't reply. Well the wake is tomorrow. Do I go?
    I'm going to put on my scientist goggles followed by my psychologist glasses.

Scientifically, he is dead. Your attendance or lack of attendance at his wake will not affect him in any way, shape, or form.

Psychologically, you are still alive. Your attendance or lack of attendance at his wake, at this time, can only affect you. The best thing you can do is visualize the time after the wake after having made one choice, and then again after having made the other. How do you feel inside, knowing you did not go, and will never have a chance for that sort of connection with him? Same question again, knowing that you did in fact go to the wake?

You might feel some problem of closure. You didn't respond to the letter. Will attending the wake help you get closure, as a personal way of responding to that letter? If you don't attend the wake, could visiting the grave on your own terms work, or are there other options you might pursue?

Sociologically, there might be other factors. Visualize the people who would be there, and what they would think if you did or did not attend. Visualize any mutual connections you might have, and how your decision would affect the relationships (if at all).

Once you've felt your way through the consequences of both actions, then you must choose which action is best for you.

I personally do not feel anyone else can answer Yes or No to that question (even though others have done so). You have to judge whether it will harm you more to attend or to not attend.
    Post edited by Byron on
  • He apologized to you, and didn't attempt to murder you (I assume), so there's no reason not to go if you're invited.
  • Yes.
    there's no reason not to go if you're invited.
    No need for an invite to most wakes, actually. They tend to be listed in newspapers and such.

Showing up at the wake might just symbolically be your way of forgiving him, which might help you let go of the past a little more. Plus, it would be a mitzvah, especially if he has surviving family, and especially if he died young (ie, if his parents are still around . . . it's unspeakably horrible for parents to lose a child). A good showing at the wake can mean a lot. You don't even have to say anything if you don't feel you can, just show up.

There are wakes/funerals/etc I regret missing. I have never once regretted showing up.
    I personally do not feel anyone else can answer Yes or No to that question (even though others have done so). You have to judge whether it will harm you more to attend or to not attend.
    True. But dude asked for advice, so he's gettin' it.
  • They tend to be listed in newspapers and such.
    I know. That doesn't stop people from sending out personal invites. The newspaper notice is for people like fellow churchgoers that aren't known by the family.
  • They tend to be listed in newspapers and such.
    I know. That doesn't stop people from sending out personal invites. The newspaper notice is for people like fellow churchgoers that aren't known by the family.
    I still don't believe one needs an invitation to show up for a wake.
  • Do I go?
    Do you want to? Do you feel like something would be incomplete if you don't? Would you dwell on it and continue to ask yourself "should I have gone" if you don't go?
  • Yes.
    One rule in life: Try everything, do everything. (except your own sister or square dancing)
  • I was conflicted about going in the beginning just because of the torment I received and I wasn't particularly fond of him. However I decided to go. Thanks guys.
  • edited July 2011
    Yes.
    One rule in life: Try everything, do everything. (except your own sister or square dancing)
    Except maybe those awful polyester orange pants from 1973. Let me have made that mistake for you.

EDIT: And hey, square dancing isn't so bad.
    Post edited by jtvh on
  • (except your own sister or square dancing)
    Tell that to Texas.