This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wireless connection help.

edited March 2009 in Technology
As some of you know, I am unlucky enough to have dial-up. Recently my dad and I have noticed that the laptop has been picking up a couple of wireless networks. We can connect to them but never actually use the connection, and when we look at the wireless icon in XP it says there is no signal. We decided to build a signal booster similar to a wokfi and it seems to be working. It shows that there are 5 bars and it has and excellent signal, but when I open up firefox, it can't connect. I know the network is unsecured but it still won't work. Any ideas?

Comments

edited March 2009
    Router may be set to ignore everything not coming from a trusted MAC address.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Yeah. Most likely MAC address, could be an html proxy (but I doubt, in a residential area). Try sniffing some traffic with Wireshark / airpcap?
  • Are you getting an IP from their DHCP server?
  • Yeah. Most likely MAC address, could be an html proxy (but I doubt, in a residential area). Try sniffing some traffic with Wireshark / airpcap?
    If it is the MAC address, how would I go about using this connection? By the way, I'm not exactly in a residential area. I'm actually in the woods and my neighbor is across the field.
    If it is the MAC address, how would I go about using this connection? By the way, I'm not exactly in a residential area. I'm actually in the woods and my neighbor is across the field.
    Is this why you have dial-up, because you're so far out? If that's true, doesn't that neighbor also have dial-up? It's very possible that the wireless routers are just being used for home networking.
  • Is this why you have dial-up, because you're so far out? If that's true, doesn't that neighbor also have dial-up? It's very possible that the wireless routers are just being used for home networking.
    Yeah, that's why. I think my neighbor might have satellite Internet since they have like 3 dishes on a pole in their front yard.
  • If it is the MAC address, how would I go about using this connection?
    The quick answer is, "You can't - at least not easily." If your neighbor is filtering their wireless connection by MAC addresses then their AP will only work with machines that have the green light by being in the router's access table. The long answer is, "How dedicated are you to horking free WiFi off your neighbor?" It is entirely possible you could sniff their traffic for a while, find out what the MAC addresses of their wireless devices are, and then spoof one of those addresses in order to get yourself connected to their AP.

Or you could just go to your neighbor and say, "Hey, do you have satellite internet and if so would it be ok for me to link up to your wireless access point on occasion?" You never know, they just might let you.
  • horking?
    Hork
    v. to steal something, though not usually applicable to shoplifting or grand theft.
    I turned around for five minutes and someone horked my pepsi from the fridge at work.

Definition from urbandictionary.com, but I've been using that word (along with "ganked") with that definition for years.