This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090305 - Laser Tag, Paintball, and Airsoft

edited March 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss the non-video gun games: laser tag, paintball, and airsoft. We also do some extra pimping for our next book club book The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.

Scott's Thing - Michael Jackson's Patent
Rym's Thing - Ohio Denied Plates

Comments

• edited March 2009
    The culture surrounding airsoft definitely gives it an edge over paintball. There's a tendency among airsoft players to be more serious about the game, more mature, and more interested in real world tactics. Around where I live there's even a group of veterans that run full-on simulations of military operations that you can pay to participate in.

I'd love to get into that, and probably will eventually, but it would be even more awesome to get into this Operation Irene business (run by "Operation Lion Claws", which appears to have an HQ in NY, by the by).

Post edited by Walker on
  • Looking through the number plate list:
    Page- Number (comment)

1- CATZASS (Cats Ass?)
    2- FACEMAN (?)
    2- VETGASM
    2- FURMOM (??!)
    3- CATZAZZ (again?)
    3- MASTRB8 (Subtle.)
    3- TITTIES
    4- 0RLY
    4- ARSNLFC (In America?)
    4- OMFGNUB
    6- EARGAZM
    6- GOMD (Emily?)
    6- NEATFRK
  • I've heard great things about The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. It might make a great book for the "book club".
  • edited March 2009
    I've been airsofting for about 3 years now. Here's a few small tips, hope they aren't too obvious:
    • Expect cheating, grow to not care. Unlike paintballing there is no mark or proof if you've hit someone or been hit. A good group of players and a well marshelled game counter this.
    • Go to a site and rent guns first like you said for sure. See if you enjoy the sport before you make any real investment. Unlike paintballing, the hire guns are usually good quality.
    • You'll find you like the sport, everyone does. Buy a decent Tokyo Marui rifle. You can't mod them as much as other brands, but they never brake, unlike my friends more powerful guns. When your sick of that buy something else, you'll probably have a decent knowledge of the rifles by then,
    • Go play in these abandoned factories with the crew. Playing with friends means there is no cheating and you can have more tactical games.
    • Lastly, like paintball, no blind firing. You'll take someone out.
    Am I the only airsofter here?
    Post edited by bees knees on
  • There is actually a pretty good Laser Tag place in Columbia, MD called Shadowland. The referees there don't give two flying fucks about the rules for the most part, really the only thing they do is fix the packs if they fail. The real way to play laser tag is to go an hour before the place closes and have a large group of people with you who really want to win. If you go an hour before the establishment closes, there will not really be anyone there. The last time I went, I did this and it ended up being me and all of my friends versus the only other people there. We were playing to win, so we were coordinating attacks and we actually used some basic strategy to easily win.

If the crew or anyone else has time before Otakon and access to a car, you guys should probably try it out.
  • edited March 2009
    I've been to Shadowland twice and did that technique. It wasn't a huge group of us though, just five or six of us and we mostly play to see who's higher between us. I don't like laser tag that much because the equipment is so heavy and it hurts afterward.

My favorite out of the three is paintball. I've been a few times and love it! In the forests in holes or ducking behind things in a ring, either way I have a much better experience. Plus the games are longer and I'm much better at it than laser tag. I can move faster because I only have my fatigues and a gun. Sometimes my extra paint bullets, but I usually keep those on the sidelines.

Airsofts are okay for collecting and freaking out your friends but I never knew anyone who bought them for play. Eh.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I've only played Paintball twice and Laser Tag once, but I had a hell of a time, and I'd sure like to do it again; except the only good Paintball place in my area closed down a year or two ago, so I'm limited to Laser Tag. I really want to try out Airsoft, also.
  • edited March 2009
    For my best gal-pal's wedding, I threw her Jack-and-Jill Party (bachelor and bachelorette party combined) at a laser tag place with an arcade, go-carts, and karaoke. It was a great time!
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Kinda creepy...

I've got a couple friends who are really into Airsoft, both the collection side and the playing. We've been talking about it, and for the first time I might join them this weekend. (Saturday) What do I find when I turn my freshly synced ipod, but a geeknights show on the very same subject. Awesome. ^.^

A warning: If you get into the collecting side, and you're interested in some of the more realistic and higher quality guns, they can easily run upwards of one to three or four hundred dollars.

Have fun!
  • A warning: If you get into the collecting side, and you're interested in some of the more realistic and higher quality guns, they can easily run upwards of one to three or four hundred dollars.
    People already know that I think collecting is silly, wasteful, and materialistic. However, collecting airsoft guns is even sillier. Are there really rare models out there? Airsoft isn't that old. If a particular model is high quality, a lot of people will buy it even if it is expensive. It's not going to be rare or in any way worth collecting. At least collecting antique real firearms has some class. Collecting airsoft weapons is just sort of scary military fanboyism.
  • edited March 2009
    NIght arrows lololol. Rich will be proud.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Are there really rare models out there? Airsoft isn't that old
    it's not actually the rarity of a model that makes it more valuable or collectable in the Airsoft markets. Rather there are hard-to-find models or modes based on specific guns, that can be considered "collectable" the rarity of which is not the result of their production run, but rather is more akin to importing video games in the 90's. There are models that are only made and or sold in particular regions (Japan and China are some of the most prolific) that are simply never made redly available in the States. Hence, if you decide that you want an Airsoft that is an exact replica of the P90, with the superior spring loading and built in slots for Real Steel mods like scopes, lights and lasers, than you might have to import a very particular gun.

Ironically it is not because they are rare that they are more desired, as an equally rare gun might be worth significantly less here, but rather the common agreement that something is desirable that therefore adds perceived and by extension, monitory value.

If you just want something that looks cool, you're in the clear.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not encouraging the collecting of, nor the value of these Airsoft. I simply spend enough time around people who do that I am familiar with the process.

Fox
  • edited March 2009
    Looking through the number plate list:
    Page- Number (comment)

1- CATZASS (Cats Ass?)
    2- FACEMAN (?)
    2- VETGASM
    2- FURMOM (??!)
    3- CATZAZZ (again?)
    3- MASTRB8 (Subtle.)
    3- TITTIES
    4- 0RLY
    4- ARSNLFC (In America?)
    4- OMFGNUB
    6- EARGAZM
    6- GOMD (Emily?)
    6- NEATFRK
    Yeah honestly I didn't understand a lot of the plates on that list. Neatfreak? What's the big deal? Orly? Again, who cares? There's nothing profane about them.

Other stuff I didn't understand (page # in parentheses): FYYFF (1), JOE0 (1), EJ00 and 00EJ (1), W000T(1), QQQQU (2), ok fuck it...I could list a shitload that I don't understand why they're on there.
    Any explanations behind the [seemingly] harmless ones on this list?
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Dammit, "L0L" is illegal? Good thing I don't ever plan on being in Ohio.
  • People already know that I think collecting is silly, wasteful, and materialistic. However, collecting airsoft guns is even sillier.
    I agree with this but only to a degree. At a low level of play a guy really only needs his gun of choice and the required eye/face protection, anything more is just fluff when you only play a simple force on force scenario. However, there exists a higher level of game play that concerns itself more with creating an atmosphere that would necessitate having a varied collection of models as well as other accoutrements.

At higher levels airsoft is LARP, the main idea is the same in that what the players are trying to achieve a feeling of simulation and authenticity. One of the big things of the airsoft scene is the large scale events known as operations or ops where the LARP aspect can come into play. Ideally operations create scenarios where one iconic faction is pitched against another and the difference between the two factions will be the outfits and the weapons they wield. What this means is that a player is going to collect different model guns and costumes in order to accurately portray the different fighters of the world. So unlike some other forms of collecting, this serves a useful purpose.

TL;DR version: I suppose one way to put this is a lot like comparing the guns to golf clubs, if all you do is mini-golf then all you need is a putter, but if you want to play 18 holes then you need a full bag of clubs.
    Collecting airsoft weapons is just sort of scary military fanboyism.
    I wonÂ’t deny that the fanboys exist but the same has been said of all hobbies, there is a dark side to everything.
  • Ah the good ol' days of laser tag... I remember there was one year when every birthday party I went to was at the same Laser tag place. Good funs, but the novelty wore off quickly.

I love me some paintball, although strangley I've not played at all in the UK. All 3 times I've been have been in Dubai during highschool. Let me tell you, it's TOO BLOODY HOT to be running around outside, googles and glasses steaming up...

I reckon you guys would love airsoft. As others have said already, the airsoft community tends to be a lot more serious about real combat simulation.

You mentioned gas blow back and electric powered guns at the end of the episode. The blow backs are generally limited to pistols and can extremely satisfying to fire since the pistol essential has the same external moving parts as a real pistol so it feels like the real thing (minus the recoil). I'd recommend getting a high quality full metal because you get to feel the weight and sturdiness of the weapon. I've got a KJ works M9 Beretta with tactical grip which definately recommend (although I think they've discontinued my particular version).

Unfortunately, the UK Government has decided that all airsoft guns imported or sold in the UK have to be at least 50% brightly coloured (i.e. bright green or orange) so it kind of kills the "realism" a bit.

Lol, funny story. A mate of mine in London had a flatmate who had a massive collection of airsoft weapons (M4's, Grenade launchers, AK47's and even a gas mask etc.). One day the plumber was in their place doing some work and he saw the collection. Thinking they were real guns he called the cops and my friend and all his flatmates were arrested by armed police (armed police response is quite a major incident in the UK). Luckily they only had to spend several hours at the police station before being released.
  • Thinking they were real guns he called the cops and my friend and all his flatmates were arrested by armed police (armed police response is quite a major incident in the UK). Luckily they only had to spend several hours at the police station before being released.
    Weren't the guns half brightly colored?
  • Thinking they were real guns he called the cops and my friend and all his flatmates were arrested by armed police (armed police response is quite a major incident in the UK). Luckily they only had to spend several hours at the police station before being released.
    Weren't the guns half brightly colored?
    Nope this was before the new law, which i think was introduced in 2007 or 2008. Before that you could import or buy airsoft weapons without any obvious markings. My Beretta M9 is all black because I also imported mine from HK before the law was introduced and I keep it in a drawer in case I accidently scare the shit out of anyone visiting :P
  • edited March 2009
    Here in the Netherlands they've banned all gun replica's. It didn't help that some newspaper bought some gas powered handguns online, and modded them to shoot real bullets.

all of our neighbors do allow airsoft though, so all I have to do is hop over the border... ='(.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • all of our neighbors do allow airsoft though, so all I have to do is hop over the border... ='(.
    Well, just be glad your country isn't so geographically large. Then again, if it were geographically large, it would be easier to find a large empty space to play airsoft without getting caught.
  • Unfortunately, the UK Government has decided that all airsoft guns imported or sold in the UK have to be at least 50% brightly coloured (i.e. bright green or orange) so it kind of kills the "realism" a bit.
    No, there is a way around this. All you have to do is have a specific membership card from an airsoft field. I can't remember the rest of the specifics, I'll get back to you on that.
  • Of the three I've only played Paintball and Laser Tag, and I really prefer paintball, probably because it is a truly viscerally satisfying experience.

GeekNights checkbook? I'd buy that for a dollar
  • I'll weigh in on the gun games...

Paintball - only done it once. That was enough for me. First off, I hate that you get fucking messy with the paint. Sure I guess it helps to see if you got hit or not, but people wipe anyways. It's also expensive as hell. I also got paint in my mouth, which sucked.

Airsoft- done it a few times. I like it a lot better than paintball, for various reasons (price, lack of getting messy as hell, gun realism). On the other hand, it's still not something I'd want to get in to.

Laser tag - Meh. I've never been good at it. I've done it quite a few times, though.

All in all, I've just never been a guns dude. Suck at playing them, suck at aiming. Same reasons why I'm not a big FPS dude.
  • I also got paint in my mouth, which sucked.
    You're supposed to wear a face mask...
  • You're supposed to wear a face mask...
    First time I played paintball, very first game -- they blew the whistle, everyone started crawling around in the dirt, and I thought "what the hell are you dorks doing, this isn't WWII or something, just play the game and don't play pretend", and right then, I got a paintball right in the facemask, and the paint came through the grill right into my mouth.

Also, you guys mentioned martial arts a lot in this episode. I really think everyone ought to try out some kind of full-contact martial arts for at least a little while. Boxing, muay thai, judo, jiu jitsu, something. To quote some movie, how much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?
  • I also got paint in my mouth, which sucked.
    You're supposed to wear a face mask...
    Sometimes, if a ball breaks on the lower part of the mask that covers your mouth, you get paint in your gob.
  • The times I've played paintball, all guns had fresh cylinders, shot straight for at least 30mts and even with protection left bloddy welts, the field is open with a concrete bunker in the middle covered in grass and hay, all structures are unsafe, made from tree branches and concrete there are pits, and actually a small river as well, people get dirty, use branches for camouflage crawling around, and the cammos actually work in the small wooded area.
  • Wow, that is not a good mask for paintball or airsoft. I mean, those holes are big enough to let airsoft pellets through. You really don't want to get one of those in the face. At least the eye protection is good.
    The exact same thing happened to my friend when we went paintballing, he just washed his mouth out in between rounds and then we went on playing