This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Coincidence or I'm an idiot?

edited March 2009 in Everything Else
I just realized this.
Posted By: WikipediaSpike Jonze (born Adam Spiegel; October 22, 1969)...
So which is it? Coincidence, or am I an idiot?

Comments

• Coincidence.
  • A little bit of both.
  • Neither Spike or Spiegel are that rare.
  • Neither Spike nor Spiegel are that rare.
  • edited March 2009
    Neither Spike or Spiegel are that rare.
    Well done Captain Picky.
    Wait a second: That's bollocks. Of all the commonly used miss-spellings, "nor" to "or" is pretty minor.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited March 2009
    Well, I took it as a grammatical mistake rather than a misspelling (ahem), but, either way, it's wrong. 'Neither' goes with 'nor,' never 'or'.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited March 2009
    Nevermind. I'm just saying it's something you hear commonly in normal speech. Roll on, Grammar Nazi.
  • I find it kinda awesome how Faye was born quite close in time to when I was (within 8 months or so). I hope I live to see 2071.
  • Neither Spike or Spiegel are that rare.
    Well done Captain Picky.
    Wait a second: That's bollocks. Of all the commonly used miss-spellings misspellings, "nor" to "or" is pretty minor.
    FTFY
  • edited March 2009
    Oh gods, they're multiplying. Look, we have standards on this forum to make sure it's easy to read. If you have a problem, you might want to go elsewhere.

@Logan: You might. If I live to the current life expectancy, I should die somewhere around 2062 so you just have to outlive that by nine years which is quite possible.
  • Wait. People actually say "neither ... or"? I've always heard people use it correctly, as in "neither ... nor".
  • In everyday speech you wouldn't pick up on it. It's not a thing normal people would notice.
  • edited March 2009
    Oh gods, they're multiplying. Look, we have standards on this forum to make sure it's easy to read. If you have a problem, you might want to go elsewhere.
    Rule #1: Be mindful of your grammar and spelling.
    In everyday speech you wouldn't pick up on it. It's not a thing normal people would notice.
    Neither is the difference between "there" and "their," yet we will enforce that rule.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Oh gods, they're multiplying. Look, we have standards on this forum to make sure it's easy to read. If you have a problem, you might want to go elsewhere.
    What's the big deal? It's just how people talk.
  • Neither Spikenor Spiegel are that rare.
    I'll just say that nitpicking things like that are annoying, as it read not like "hey, watch your grammar and spelling", its more like "IT IS I LACKOFCHEESE THAT COMES TO CLEANSE THE MASSES FROM IDIOCY. LOOK AT ME! I KNOW MY GRAMMAR AND SPELLING AND YOU ARE RETARDED"
  • Neither Spikenor Spiegel are that rare.
    I'll just say that nitpicking things like that are annoying, as it read not like "hey, watch your grammar and spelling", its more like "IT IS I LACKOFCHEESE THAT COMES TO CLEANSE THE MASSES FROM IDIOCY. LOOK AT ME! I KNOW MY GRAMMAR AND SPELLING AND YOU ARE RETARDED"
    Actually, lackofcheese does know his grammar and spelling and seems pretty damn smart otherwise, so I think I wouldn't piss him off if I were you.
  • What's the big deal? It's just how people talk.
    no no no NO NO NO! NO!
  • What's the big deal? It's just how people talk.
    no no no NO NO NO! NO!
    Make sense, please.
  • edited March 2009
    Neither Spikenor Spiegel are that rare.
    Actually, lackofcheese does know his grammar and spelling and seems pretty damn smart otherwise, so I think I wouldn't piss him off if I were you.
    If so, Rym & Scott, please give him moderator status like Mr.Period, that way he/she can do their thing and I don't have to read 13 replies that have NOTHING to do with the original thread (15 with this one).
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Neither is the difference between "there" and "their", yet we will enforce that rule.
    Punctuation goes inside quotation marks. Move that comma.
  • Neither is the difference between "there" and "their", yet we will enforce that rule.
    That's not true. It can also go outside quotation marks.
    That's not true. It can also go outside quotation marks.
    You damn brit!
    That's when it's part of the sentence inside the quotation marks.
  • BREAKING NEWS:
    High and mighty cock-face panics in light of correction.
    They're called 'rules', not 'standards' you utter moron. Now, can this shit be over with? It isn't worth anyone's time to talk with Omnutia.
  • edited March 2009
    Shitcock!
    Oh crap. Just when this was starting to get intelligent, Nineless shows up.
    That's when it's part of the sentence inside the quotation marks.
    This is incorrect. Commas and periods go inside closing quotation marks, irrespective of the purpose of the quotation marks; colons and semicolons go outside closing quotation marks.
  • Oh gods, they're multiplying. Look, we have standards on this forum to make sure it's easy to read. If you have a problem, you might want to go elsewhere.
    What's the big deal? It's just how people talk.
    It might be how you talk. I've never heard anyone say "neither . . . or . . ."
  • So that's the big deal?
  • So that's the big deal?
    I think at this point it's one of those things that, if you have to ask, you'll never know.
  • Shitcock!
    Oh crap. Just when this was starting to get intelligent, Nineless shows up.
    LOL