This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• Wal-Marts near where I live
    the Walmarts near you and the Walmarts in rural Georgia are very differen animals.
  • the Walmarts near you and the Walmarts in rural Georgia are very differen animals.
    Every place has regional beers. He may not be able to find Saracna or Magic Hat, but anyone should be able to find Samuel Adam's. Heck, Stone Brewery is over in California; and I can name 4 bars that have Bastard on tap. Speaking of which. Pete are you going to happy hour? Every time I read this thread I get thirsty.

Side note: Has anyone tried Simpler Time Lager? It's cheap (~4$ a six pack) and it'll get cha' drunk. (6.2%ABV)
  • edited February 2010
    I've never even seen one. Nine times out of ten If i'm in the same room as beer it's pisswater like Keystone light. I only get Miller if I know about a party in advance and go out and get some.
    You're in the San Francisco Bay Area, right? How about Anchor Brewing? They make good stuff, and they invented a unique style of beer.

Fuck, you're out in California. Go get yourself some Stone stuff. Make a pilgrimage out to the brewery.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I'll be at happy hour for a little bit.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • the Walmarts near you and the Walmarts in rural Georgia are very differen animals.
    You can probably get Red Brick anywhere in Georgia as it's brewed in Atlanta.
  • You can't even get a Yuengling?
    Yeungling?
  • First quarter of the Superbowl was met with a Dogfish Head 120-minute IPA. Reeked of citrus, hops, teriyaki (I believe), honey/brown sugar, perhaps a hint of maple and a handful of other rich nuanced scents. It was incredible.

I put down a four-pack of DH Olde Schools in the garage; I'm going to age them for a couple of years.
  • I just purchased a bottle of this beer. It clocks in at 17.5% ABV, and it was only brewed once. Ever. The brewer is a self-described gypsy; he travels to and brews at breweries all around Denmark, Europe, and the US.
  • I saw someone recommend that weeks ago on /ck/. Looks incredible.
  • edited February 2010
    I wonder how the legalities would work out on being a traveling brewer. Obviously, I'd have to make a name for myself first, but hey, this guy did it.

EDIT: It had better be incredible. One 12.7 ounce bottle cost me 20 bucks.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited February 2010
    I wonder how the legalities would work out on being a traveling brewer. Obviously, I'd have to make a name for myself first, but hey, this guy did it.

EDIT: It had better be incredible. One 12.7 ounce bottle cost me 20 bucks.
    This moment must be forever locked in the annals of time.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • This moment must be forever locked in the annals of time.
    If it winds up being good, I may treat myself to one or two more bottles and store them for a very long time.

I also picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA (because I've never had it) and a bottle of their World Wide Stout (because I really really hate my liver).
  • @TheWhaleShark: Yeah,,, I'm feeling the urge to go to Mahar's this weekend.
    I can get behind that.
    ???
    I can get behind that.
    Adam and I have never been. Maybe we could tag along?
  • ???
    It's an ale house. A true ale house. Educate yourself.
    Adam and I have never been. Maybe we could tag along?
    We'll hammer out a plan.
  • edited February 2010
    We'll hammer out a plan.
    Will we hammer in the morning and hammer in the evening all over this land? Will we hammer out danger, hammer out a warning, and hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters all over this land?
    Well, will we?!
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters
    Well, hey, if that's your thing, more power to you, I suppose. If you can't keep it in your pants, keep it in the family.
  • Well, will we?!
    Yes, I propose hammer time. Is that good with everyone else?
  • Yes, I propose hammer time. Is that good with everyone else?
    STOP!

OK, you may proceed.

I propose Saturday night, somewhere in the neighborhood of 8:00 PM.

There are a few things you should know about Mahar's:

1. It's tiny. Don't expect to sit down for a solid hour. The only way to get a table, reliably, is to camp.

2. They only have beer. Well, OK, they also have a draft root beer. That's it. Don't go unless you want to drink beer.

3. Eat before you arrive. They do have food, but the selection is minimal, they run out easily, and they don't restock often. They usually have a variety of sandwiches to be grilled, a couple of pot pies, and a cheese board or two. That's it. It's pretty good food, and it's reasonably priced, but it's unreliable and an afterthought.

4. It's more expensive than a normal pub. You can get the usual stuff for around typical pub prices (a pint of Guinness is 5 bucks, for example), but once you venture out into the world of beers, the prices rise pretty quickly. 8 bucks for a pint of anything slightly non-standard is typical, and 12 bucks is not unusual. There are 40 dollar pints on the menu. Be prepared.

5. Do not anger Bill by doing stupid things like asking him to make food, asking too many questions, bothering him, pretending to know more about beer than him, actually knowing more about beer than him, or ordering a Coors Light. You'll know Bill when you see him.

6. They don't really care about you that much. They have enough customers that they can afford to not serve you.

If you can deal with all of those things, you'll find it to be the best pub anywhere. If any of those things bother you, you probably won't have the best time.
  • Saturday might be a problem. We shall see.
  • Karl has con-age from 3-5 on saturday.
  • I just purchased a bottle ofthis beer.It clocks in at 17.5% ABV, and it was only brewed once. Ever. The brewer is a self-described gypsy; he travels to and brews at breweries all around Denmark, Europe, and the US.
    I split this bottle with my buddy Mike last night. Let me tell you, that is one intense brew. It has very strong coffee notes that give way to a smooth, rich, and sweet malt with hints of caramel. As it warms up, bits of chocolate and raisin start to come out. The body is huge, coating your mouth with flavor that lingers for minutes. It dries up towards the end, leaving a coffee finish that then gives way to a smooth and slow alcohol burn.

Definitely not a beer to drink by yourself. It almost requires sharing.
  • The body is huge, coating your mouth with flavor that lingers for minutes. It dries up towards the end...
    Out of context LOL!
  • I split this bottle with my buddy Mike last night.
    For a second I thought that said "I spin the bottle with my buddy Mike last night."
  • I split this bottle with my buddy Mike last night.
    For a second I thought that said "I spin the bottle with my buddy Mike last night."
    LOL. Mike, who is also the guitarist in my band, is a big guy (bigger than Pete) who also plays in a metal band. Them playing spin the bottle would be... divine.
  • LOL. Mike, who is also the guitarist in my band, is a big guy (bigger than Pete) who also plays in a metal band. Them playing spin the bottle would be... divine.
    I'd buy(Tickets to that) that for a dollar.
  • Them playing spin the bottle would be... divine.
    I'd buy(Tickets to that) that for a dollar.
    OK, and people think I'm weird.
  • Chow's list of 7 intense beers they endorse. Dogfish Head's WWS made the list.

That Rogue looks excellent. I've always admired their bottle and label design.
  • Chow's list of 7 intense beers they endorse.Dogfish Head's WWS made the list.

That Rogue looks excellent. I've always admired their bottle and label design.
    Well, they only tried a dozen, so I can't blame them for having an incomplete list. However, Delirium Tremens is a pretty gross oversight.

Also, Mikkeller Black is far more intense than the WWS.