This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Stuff to do in New York City

edited March 2009 in Everything Else
I'm going to be in NYC with my family for about a week in April. Tell me some stuff I should check out while I'm there.

Comments

• Be sure to visit the Nintendo World Store in Rockefeller Center. Just take some time and walk around the times Square area if you can, lots of big stores to visit.

Natural History Museum is also a must see.
  • edited March 2009
    There are a million travel guides to NYC available for a wide range of interests. Perhaps buying one or looking at wikitravel would be helpful.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I would go see a Broadway show. Avenue Q is fantastic, just as long as all of your family members are mature enough to enjoy it.
  • Saint Marks, Soho, and the West Village.

Get some good foods.
  • There's a Beard Papa's down in Soho, I believe. It's a lot more "azn" than the Beard Papa's('s? multiple) in the Bay Area, but that might just be due to the increased levels of "azn"-ness in the surrounding atmosphere. Anyways, if you haven't had a creme puff from there, try it.

Also, Cafe Dante in Greenwich Village, if you (or your parents ^_~) enjoy Italian alcohols and traditional cafe's. Queen of Sheba is a great Ethiopian restaurant, and it's on (or near) Restaurant Row. It's also not too popular yet, and the food is really delicious (Also, honey wine).
  • edited March 2009
    No, go to the Beard Papas across from NYU, on Broadway, near Astor Place. It's really close to these good Japanese restaurants. Also, I recommend Kyber Pass, for Afghan food. If you avoid the dinner rush, you can get the window seat and dine while lounging on pillows.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Oh, I think that's the same one I'm thinking of. Sorry, my mistake.

Also, I will definitely check out Kyber Pass the next time I'm in the City.
  • Also, I will definitely check out Kyber Pass the next time I'm in the City.
    I snickered when I read this.
  • Why?
    Where I come from, Kyber Pass is slang for arse, and I rarely hear it in any other context. I'm easily amused, sometimes.
  • Not sure if this is the best thread, but New Yorkers should check out this theater production. It's part of the “Theater of the Arcade” show, which are short plays about the life and times of video game characters.
  • The Brooklyn Comics and Graphics Festival

Never heard of this one before but it's a 1-day thing happening tomorrow and may be of interest to some people. If you go, let me know how it was.
  • I would go, but I'll be riotously drunk and playing Burning Wheel in Philly. ;^)
  • and playing Burning Wheel in Philly. ;^)
    This reminds me that I need to get the books to Bruce stat....
  • This reminds me that I need to get the books to Bruce stat....
    Eh. I'll run the sword, and if the characters survive, I'll take them into the Rift. He doesn't need to know the rules to play.
  • Eh. I'll run the sword, and if the characters survive, I'll take them into the Rift. He doesn't need to know the rules to play.
    True, but I know he's going to ask a lot of "converting planescape" to Burning Wheel questions I'm sure, and it would be best if he knew a few rules to discuss it properly. :-p
  • For those who want to learn some cool skills, you could always go to check out the upcoming classes at the Madagascar institute.

The next lot of classes include Electrochemical Etching with Household Ingredients, Intro to Machining, Make Your Own Absinthe, Intro to MIG Welding, Intro to TIG Welding, Corset making, Intro to Sewing.

I fully encourage any of you(Even Rym and Scott) to take whichever ones sound interesting to you.
  • The next lot of classes include Electrochemical Etching with Household Ingredients, Intro to Machining, Make Your Own Absinthe, Intro to MIG Welding, Intro to TIG Welding, Corset making, Intro to Sewing.
    Fuck yeah, I always wanted to learn welding. Still, that's the kind of thing where you really need the hands-on experience. Even moreso for underwater welding.
  • Fuck yeah, I always wanted to learn welding. Still, that's the kind of thing where you really need the hands-on experience. Even moreso for underwater welding.
    Basic welding classes are fairly popular at Hacker Spaces.
  • Fuck yeah, I always wanted to learn welding. Still, that's the kind of thing where you really need the hands-on experience. Even moreso for underwater welding.
    Basic welding classes are fairly popular at Hacker Spaces.
    Welding is also considered an "in-demand" job in Washington state which allows my boyfriend to get his school paid for. Getting a certification is pretty easy, well it appears to be for Jeremy at least. All he does for his 4 hour class is practice certain types of welding. Whenever he decides to test, his teacher says it passes or doesn't, and when it passes he gets his certification.

Next quarter he's taking a Metallurgy class, and I'm so jealous because it sounds so cool.
  • edited December 2010
    Fuck yeah, I always wanted to learn welding. Still, that's the kind of thing where you really need the hands-on experience. Even more so for underwater welding.
    If you fail to go to these classes for some reason, And I'm in NYC(With access to equipment) Or you're in LA, I'll happily teach you to weld.
    Welding is also considered an "in-demand" job in Washington state which allows my boyfriend to get his school paid for.
    Hmm...I wonder if it's in demand elsewhere, might be worth getting my cert.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited December 2010
    Welding is also considered an "in-demand" job in Washington state which allows my boyfriend to get his school paid for.
    Hmm...I wonder if it's in demand elsewhere, might be worth getting my cert.
    Wouldn't hurt, especially since those jobs earn decent money, even moreso with a union job, ridiculous amounts with underwater welding.

This is something that a student in my boyfriend's class made from TIG welding.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited December 2010
    Wouldn't hurt, especially since those jobs earn decent money, even moreso with a union job, ridiculous amounts with underwater welding.
    Depends on where you are, of course - I once had a brief conversation with Rym, propably a year and a half ago now, on the fact that as a Flight Attendant here, I was making more money than he did in his job at that time, even after currency conversion. However, the comparison probably breaks down with comparative cost of living, hobbies, Petrol, vehicle upkeep, etc, etc. And, in his favour, His job is definitely a role requiring more skill and education to perform, More day to day intelligence to perform well(I've met some damn fine FA's who are dumber than a sack of hammers), and of course he wasn't dumb enough to blow most of his savings on living in another country for a few years, beyond all reason and sense.

However, that just means that if I stay here, I'd likely make some mad bank with Underwater Welding - It's not unheard of here for a good and busy tradesman to be pulling down a hundred grand a year, depending on the trade.
    This is something that a student in my boyfriend's class made from TIG welding.
    Oh that is fucking sweet - When it comes to artistry, I'm no expert, but that is one damn fine metal alligator.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • However, that just means that if I stay here, I'd likely make some mad bank with Underwater Welding - It's not unheard of here for a good and busy tradesman to be pulling down a hundred grand a year, depending on the trade.
    Commercial divers are fucking psychotic. I mean that--I've met and talked to them, and it takes a special kind of crazy to stay underwater on a Nitrox tether for 4 hours in a drysuit and live in a metal cocoon underwater for two weeks while patching up a cruise ship or rig, all the the while knowing that if your door hinge fails the pressure equalization will eject your spine from your torso instantaneously.

I'd still do it if given the chance, though.
  • Commercial divers are fucking psychotic. I mean that--I've met and talked to them, and it takes a special kind of crazy to stay underwater on a Nitrox tether for 4 hours in a drysuit and live in a metal cocoon underwater for two weeks while patching up a cruise ship or rig, all the the while knowing that if your door hinge fails the pressure equalization will eject your spine from your torso instantaneously.

I'd still do it if given the chance, though.
    Not for me. I don't even like boats that much. I wouldn't rule it out, but I'm not racing to it.
  • Ok, here's some actual NY tourism advice.

I work very close to Times Square. It's a bit north of what is technically Times Square, but a tourist really would consider it well within the boundaries. There are big ads, big buildings, and tons of touristy shit everywhere.

Most of that touristy shit is exactly what I said, shit. It's overpriced useless garbage. Stores that sell outdated electronics at inflated prices. Souvenir shops selling shlock almost as bad as what you see on the Wildwood boardwalk. It's all to be avoided.

The M&M store is the perfect example of this touristy shit. It's a gigantic two-story retail installation. 90% of what the store sells is useless merch with M&M logos an characters on it. Keychains, dispensers, clothes, ornaments, bags, magnets, and whatever other crap you can imagine, they have it with a big white M on it. They do sell candy there, but it's crazy expensive. You're better off at the grocery store. The only reason to ever actually buy M&Ms there is if you want to create a particular color mix for a special occasion.

So why am I warning you about touristy shit that is obvious? Because there are some cases where something that appears to be touristy bullshit is actually for reals. That example is the store across the street from the M&M store, the Hershey's Store. The outside of the store makes it look like a big deal, but it's a very small store inside. If you don't count the employee area upstairs, it's not much bigger than my apartment. The store sells nothing but candy. Every type of candy that Hershey makes, they have it. Not only that, but they have it at reasonable prices. They aren't discounted, but they are at grocery store MSRP. Now, you might say that Hershey's chocolate sucks, and that is true, but at the Hershey Store, you can get varieties that are difficult, if not impossible, to find elsewhere.

For example I just bought three things today. A bag of cinnamon chips, with which to make cookies, and two bags of Kisses. In one bag the kisses are filled with mint truffle, the other bag the Kisses are filled with Irish Creme. Other things I have seen at the store now or in the past include, Golden Almond bars, White/Dark chocolate Kit-Kats and Reese's Peanut-Butter cups, Cookies and Cream Kisses, and much more.

If you want candy, go to the Hershey Store. Really, it's very similar to the gift shop at Hershey park in PA, so don't ignore that one either.
  • White/Dark chocolate Kit-Kats
    Do they have the awesome Japanese Kit Kats?
  • Damn you're right, that sounds just like the Chocolate World shop at Hershey Park (my favorite amusement park). The difference here is it sounds like you can get individual bars. If I remember Chocolate World correctly, they sell literally everything under the Hershey umbrella but it's mostly in bulk. Good find.
  • edited December 2010
    White/Dark chocolate Kit-Kats
    Do they have the awesome Japanese Kit Kats?
    They have many varieties of Kit-Kats that are not available elsewhere. I don't know about right now, though. It's mostly holiday stuff like Reese's that are shaped like christmas trees and peppermint/candy cane everything.
    Post edited by Apreche on