This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Every creative person should watch this.

edited March 2009 in Everything Else
This is a talk given at some university by the creator of the webcomic Schlock Mercenary. I've never read that comic, but this guy has some serious, quality stuff to say about the efficacy of talent vs. hard work. I can't even express how much I agree with almost everything he says. In particular, the stuff about practice vs. work says exactly what I've always wanted to say, but better than I could have. If there's something you want to do, but you feel like you don't have the talent, you need to watch this.

o4qBSrLe19k
part 2
part 3
part 4

Comments

• edited March 2009
    The guy is Howard Taylor. I've also never read any of his comics, but he is one of the three presenters of a podcast called Writing Excuses. There is a horror novelist, and fantasy novelist and a comic strip artist, and they do 15 minute discussions on a single topic. If anyone is getting into writing I can't recommend it highly enough.

I'll watch the video later.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • edited March 2009
    He really needs to stop asking for a show of hands. And what's up with that "The thing I most like about UVU..." track that keeps playing?

Yeah, I'm sorry, not much about this speech really grabbed me. He makes a good point about talent being an insult to hard work, but that's about it. I think he needs ten years more practice at public speaking.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited March 2009
    but he is one of the three presenters of a podcast calledWriting Excuses. There is a horror novelist, and fantasy novelist and a comic strip artist, and they do 15 minute discussions on a single topic. If anyone is getting into writing I can't recommend it highly enough.
    Thanks, I'm definitely going to check that out.
    I think he needs ten years more practice at public speaking.
    Yeah, not the best public speaker, but if you can get past that, he has a lot of things to say that are important for anyone taking part in any creative endeavor. I can't tell you how many artists I've known who got to a certain rudimentary skill level and never got any better, because they never took the step of systematically seeking out their weaknesses, attacking them, and turning them into strengths.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Even though I've only seen the first two parts, I totally understand what he is saying. Also pretty interesting on the psychological impact commenting on one's "smarts" or "hard work". I also do agree with what he's saying for the most part.