This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Linux- Application Text Problems

edited March 2009 in Technology
After listening to your podcast for a few months I decided to install Linux on the computer my brother and I share. Everything has been running just fine, except that in some applications such as Wine and Rezound the text in the application fails to appear. I have tried changing the appearance settings, but, alas, it was no good. So I am wondering if anyone knows what the problem is, and hopefully I can get some help.
Thanks.

Comments

• Well I figured out the problem in case any of you care, but it brought up another. I need KDE, but it doesn't support my computer type (i386). Is there any way of running KDE without buying a new computer?
  • Your computer isn't a 386? WTF?
  • When I go to the repository and click on "the KDE desktop environment" it shows this at the bottom:

KDE4 cannot be installed on your computer type (i386). Either the application requires special hardware features or the vendor decided to not support your computer type.
  • Something is fuuuuuucked up. What did you do?
  • I had the same problem a couple years ago with my gentoo box. I had set up the machine in 2003, back then I was less experienced and decided to use "safe" looking settings (note that installing gentoo is or used to be a scary process) and used i386 as my system architecture. This became a problem when a few years later when about half the packages on the system no longer were supported with that arch. On gentoo this is a BIG deal. Spent about a week recompiling packages.

I dont think your screwed however. If you are using something newer than a Pentium 2 and are running a binary based distribution then you should be able to tell the system or the package manager to just start using i686 packages from now on. i686 is a super set of i386 meaning that its forward compatible and you shouldn't have a problem using both.

The difference between the two basically comes down to when GCC compiles some code, if you tell it that your system is i686 then it can take advantage of processor instructions that were not present in i386 chips. Ideally you will chose the arch that best matches your cpu for the best optimization. If you have a 32bit system then i686 is for you, core2 or newer you should go with AMD64 (x86_64).
  • Are you not using Ubuntu?
  • edited April 2009
    I am using Ubuntu. The computer also has windows on it, but that is very slow, so we rarely use it. The computer has an Intel Pentium 4 CPU at 1500MHz and only 2 sticks of 128MB RAM. And it has 3 hard drives all totalling up to 360GB. Just thought I'd tell ya. Apparently, the RAM I have is ancient and hard to upgrade. It has RAM on the hard drive, which is why it is slow when on windows.
    Post edited by Rezz on
  • edited April 2009
    I am using Ubuntu. The computer also has windows on it, but that is very slow, so we rarely use it. The computer has an Intel Pentium 4 CPU at 1500MHz and only 2 sticks of 128MB RAM. And it has 3 hard drives all totalling up to 360GB. Just thought I'd tell ya. Apparently, the RAM I have is ancient and hard to upgrade.
    A cheapo netbook is faster and better than what you've got. I'm amazed that you can even post on this forum with that thing.

Also, a Pentium 4 is x86 architecture. If you have these problems after reinstalling Ubuntu, and you know that the Ubuntu CD is working, then you've probably got some hardware problems.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Ok... I'll see what I can do. Thanks for your help.
  • edited April 2009
    A cheapo netbook is faster and better than what you've got. I'm amazed that you can even post on this forum with that thing.
    There are times when I'm impressed my laptop can do what it does (FFXI, Hulu, Firefox, Winamp, Pidgin, uTorrent and XChat simultaniously)
    <os> WinXP Home Edition 5.1 Service Pack 3 (Build #2600)
    <cpu> Intel Pentium III, 1.60 GHz
    <video> Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family on Plug and Play Monitor @ 1280x800x32bpp 60Hz
    <sound> SigmaTel Audio
    <memload> 462/503 MB
    <hd> [C:] 2.69/67.68 GB [D:RECOVERY] 4.85/6.83 GB</hd></memload></sound></video></cpu></os>
    Post edited by Neito on
  • In case you are curious, this is what it looks like.
    (Hope the quality is good enough)

Linux Text Problems

or here... I guess...

• I think it's because of your theme. Use the default theme and you probably won't have this problem.
  • It seems to be effecting Gnome 1 applications (not sure though). Is that 9.04 you're running?
  • edited April 2009
    Apreche: No, I tried that. Doesn't work.
    Omnutia: No, but I am upgrading tonight.
    Post edited by Rezz on
  • Apreche: No, I tried that. Doesn't work.
    Omnutia: No, but I am upgrading tonight.
    Upgrading is asking for trouble. Back up your data on an external drive and do a clean install
  • edited April 2009
    Problem solved. The day after my last post I upgraded and everything works just fine. I think ubuntu was installed incorrectly; but now everything works awesomely (even if it is slow).
    Post edited by Rezz on