This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Copyright Concerns for an Anime Music Podcast

edited March 2009 in Everything Else
So, I used to do a podcast about anime music, as that's a subject area I have a lot of enthusiasm for. I stopped doing this podcast around the time paranoia about possible new Canadian copyright law got to its peak. I thought that doing a more general geek podcast that was less likely to be in shady copyright waters would allow my podcasting to find a bigger audience. Unfortunately, it seems that I am not cut out for doing a general podcast after all, and neither is my co-host (who just doesn't seem to have the right schedule for podcasting of any kind, anyway). I find that I very much miss talking about anime music and promoting the songs that I like, and I would very much like to restart my old podcast.

My previous worry about copyright is the only thing that's making me think twice about actually restarting. Technically speaking, making a podcast like that is clearly illegal; I included several full-length, copyrighted songs in every episode. I could rationalize that because the songs are from another country and not so easily available to me legally, it would be more acceptable for me to use them. I also overlayed a bit of my voice on the beginning and end of each song to discourage people from hijacking the songs out of my episodes, and I included links to sites where people could buy the original music. However, that doesn't change the fact that I was posting up full-length, mostly unalterted songs without permission.

So, my question to the more intelligent masses is this: do you think I should go ahead and start the podcast again anyway, hoping that it flies along under the copyright radar as it did before? Is there a way to make a podcast like that that gets around the copyright issues a bit better? Or should I just accept that I probably shouldn't be making such a podcast?

Comments

• edited March 2009
    I would go the indie route if you are able to. Get permission from the artists and most will let you play their music. If you not enjoying what your currently doing I would retool the podcast and expand on it. Why not do a podcast with music from around the world and there is the route of using http://music.podshow.com/.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • edited March 2009
    Problem: there isn't much indie or podsafe anime music, and my interest doesn't really lie in world music. I pretty specifically want to focus on music from and attached to Japanese animation.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • If you do it, the Japanese will never notice. They've clearly demonstrated their inability to sue anyone across the ocean. Unless there are suddenly big news stories about your show, I wouldn't worry. Even if you are found out, you will probably just get a take-down notice. Your show would definitely be illegal, but the odds of anything actually happening to you have been historically demonstrated to be almost nil.
  • Remember, fair use laws dictates that a 30 second sample is a-okay.
  • Personally I don't think you should knowingly break copyright law in the first place.

However, if you break copyright law and are being paid for it in any way, the copyright holders will be more strict. Don't ask for payments or donations, nor look for sponsors or advertisers. Stay amateur and they'll treat you like one, look for money and they'll be far less forgiving.
  • edited March 2009
    Remember, fair use laws dictates that a 30 second sample is a-okay.
    Fair use also says that if you're reviewing it, you're practically allowed to use as much as you want.

If that guy who does Track-shun never gets in trouble, I think you're fine.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I do agree, Eryn. Bring the Utahime back to glory.
  • edited March 2009
    I appreciate the encouragement, guys. Here's hoping that the Japanese don't figure out how to effectively sue across the ocean any time in the near future. *crosses fingers*
    Remember, fair use laws dictates that a 30 second sample is a-okay.
    I thought about that as a serious possibility, yeah. I currently go the thirty-second sample route on my more general podcast under that logic. I don't think that'd work so much for a music-oriented podcast, though, because part of the draw for such a podcast is, well, listening to the music, and such short samples don't really provide that experience. So I'll probably be staying with the full song route in this case.
    Personally I don't think you should knowingly break copyright law in the first place.

However, if you break copyright law and are being paid for it in any way, the copyright holders will be more strict. Don't ask for payments or donations, nor look for sponsors or advertisers. Stay amateur and they'll treat you like one, look for money and they'll be far less forgiving.
    Oh definitely, I never expected to make any sort of money off of such a podcast. In the unlikely event that I someday did want to, I would probably go the Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series route and set up a separate store with items featuring quotes or in-jokes from the show, with no infringing material included. I doubt I'd ever get something like that set up for real anyway, though. XD
    I do agree, Eryn. Bring the Utahime back to glory.
    I was just waiting for your post there. XD I think I'd probably choose a new title for the show, though, because Anime Utahime was removed from the iTunes store after I shut it down. That and I'd like something new just to signify the reboot, too.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited March 2009
    Actually, I change what I said.

You should violate copyright without a care in the world. It worked for Crunchy Roll.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • You should violate copyright without a car in the world. It worked for Crunchy Roll.
    Now there's an odd thought.
  • You should violate copyright without a car in the world. It worked for Crunchy Roll.
    Do I detect some latent hostility towards their gain of venture capital?

That said, Crunchyroll is a damn fine example of doing illegal things and still being in the right.

Actually, the Pirate Bay trial may turn out to be a better example.
  • edited March 2009
    That said, Crunchyroll is a damn fine example of doing illegal things and still being in the right getting away with it.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • That said, Crunchyroll is a damn fine example of doing illegal things andstill being in the rightgetting away with it.
    What I meant to say.
  • edited March 2009
    Except unlike Crunchyroll, I'd provide links to where the songs and other music by the same artists can be obtained legally if one wants to do so. ;)

Seriously, though it's definitely breaking copyright, I don't mean anything nefarious by wanting to showcase music on my show. I just have a love for this sort of music, and I miss having an outlet for going "Hey guys, this song is awesome! Listen to this! :D" I tried doing the same in written form on my site forum, but it wasn't really the same as doing an audio version.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Say hi to the RIAA for me.
  • edited March 2009
    That'd be the CRIA up in Canada. Also, there's still talk of worrisome copyright reform on parliament's agenda, no doubt, but the worst of the proposed bills got badly shot down, I think.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Do I detect some latent hostility towards their gain of venture capital?
    Listen to the episode where they talked about it. It's not latent. :)