This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• edited March 2009
    My personal reaction:
    After watching Spirited Away twice at the cinema, my mother started taping anime off the late night Sci-Fi channel. The first two things I watched were "Akira" and "Tokyo Revelation". My introduction to anime was very fast but, as I was 14 and my mother never walked at the wrong time, it was one of the best things that had happened to me.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited March 2009
    Another channel loses it's identity in the inexorable march towards mind-numbing marketability.

I'm not too broken up about it, though. Sci-Fi channel hasn't had much to offer for a very long time.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Why does anyone care what it calls itself (whether it is Sci-Fi or SyFy)? This isn't news.
  • Whatever, BSG ends this week anyways.
  • Another channel loses it's identity in the inexorable march towards mind-numbing marketability.

I'm not to broken up about it, though. Sci-Fi channel hasn't had much to offer for a very long time.
    Gunter, the fact that it had BSG pretty much made it the best channel in the world :-p (when it would show it :-p)

Who actually does this appeal to? I mean SyFy? Is that going to trick someone into watching Sci-fi?
  • I am just dumbfounded by what I see as bad marketing and branding. From a NY Times article on it today my favorite quote from an SciFi president Mr. Howe.

“The testing we’ve done has been incredibly positive,” Mr. Howe said of the Syfy name, reading what he described as a comment from one participant: “If I were texting, this is how I would spell it.”

Who the hell would say that? How long does it take to type one extra letter?

So awesomely stupid.
  • Hopefully, The australian Sci-Fi channel will keep the name, but it's unlikely.
  • Why does anyone care what it calls itself (whether it is Sci-Fi or SyFy)? This isn't news.
    Read the article. The quotes from the guy are the news.
  • Wow. Major facepalm.
  • I really doubt that non-geeks will now flock to BSG and Doctor Who because of the name change. Syfy sounds just as geeky/nerdy as Sci Fi, now it just makes no sense.
  • I like the first comment on the article.
  • Just as long as they keep doing the all day Twilight Zone marathons on 4th of July and New Years, I won't care.
  • edited March 2009
    I've not read the article, but I think it makes sense. There are loads of things out there about science fiction that are called Sci-Fi this and Sci-Fi that. What if the Sci-Fi Channel wants to get into book publishing? Are they going to call their book imprint "Sci-Fi Books"? How generic does that sound? SyFy Books immediately distinguishes the brand, but keeps the exact message of "This is sci-fi!"

Sure, it seems a bit silly now, but there's nothing to get upset about.

EDIT: I have never watched a single minute of the Sci-Fi Channel ever, so my opinions are based on name recognition only.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • We spent a lot of time in the Â’90s trying to distance the network from science fiction, which is largely why itÂ’s called Sci Fi
    I think pretty much everyone knows that Sci-fi stands for science fiction.
    The changeover to the new name is slated to take place July 7th, in conjunction with the debut of the networkÂ’s new series, Warehouse 13.
    wikipedia on Warehouse 13:
    an upcoming American science fiction series
    Wow, change the name to Syfy to take away from the Sci-fi image, yet they debut the new name with a Sci-fi show. This makes me think there aren't going to be many changes.
  • Why care? Does anyone here watch it for anything other than BSG and Dr. W. It may have a different name but it's STILL Sci fi channel.

and it's the Nintendo revolution...

and it's the phoenix web browser...
  • edited March 2009
    Why care? Does anyone here watch it for anything other than BSG and Dr. W.
    I watch Eureka, Sanctuary and um.....Stargate. Ok so there are maybe five good shows on the channel but I don't want more wrestling and shit like that on there in any case.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • This is a classic example of trying to cover bad quality with a silk ribbon, and hoping nobody notices. If Sci-Fi/ScyFy wants to succeed, they need to air programming that doesn't suck donkey balls. You'd think that BSG would have taught that lesson; it runs in the single-digit millions of viewers per episode and is by far the network's largest audience-grabber. Just make something worth watching, and people will watch. The network name has very little to do with that formula; SuperCroc does. And Alien Apocalpse starring Bruce Campbell.
  • Another channel loses it's identity in the inexorable march towards mind-numbing marketability.

I'm not to broken up about it, though. Sci-Fi channel hasn't had much to offer for a very long time.
    Gunter, the fact that it had BSG pretty much made it the best channel in the world :-p (when it would show it :-p)

Who actually does this appeal to? I mean SyFy? Is that going to trick someone into watching Sci-fi?
    By the time I became interested in the show there were about ten episodes left, unfortunately.
  • This is a classic example of trying to cover bad quality with a silk ribbon, and hoping nobody notices. If Sci-Fi/ScyFy wants to succeed, they need to air programming that doesn't suck donkey balls. You'd think that BSG would have taught that lesson; it runs in the single-digit millions of viewers per episode and is by far the network's largest audience-grabber. Just make something worth watching, and people will watch. The network name has very little to do with that formula; SuperCroc does. And Alien Apocalpse starring Bruce Campbell.
    And, let us not forget, Aztec Rex.
  • edited March 2009
    I was going to side with Luke's reasoning on this, but after reading the comments on why they are changing it, it's just wrong.
    Post edited by omegafinal on
  • You donÂ’t staple fins out your parrots because fish are selling better.
    So funny and true at the same time. I guess they just think that Sci-Fi had its run and in some reunion or memo, they decided that the best way to get money is to sell to every single person thus alienating everyone.
  • This is utter stupidity. They are trying to shy away from the "Geek Image" when, in face, geeks are their key demographic.

• I think it's the beginning of the end for the Sci Fi channel. First change the brand for no good reason, then lose the viewers, then go out of business.
  • edited March 2009
    Why does anyone care what it calls itself (whether it is Sci-Fi or SyFy)? This isn't news.
    Read the article. The quotes from the guy are the news.
    I read the article. It shouldn't be news. What does it matter if they call themselves BigBoobiesBouncing? Seriously, if you like the shows they produce, you will watch the channel - if not, then you won't. I doubt the new name will do anything unless they drastically change their content - this shouldn't make a difference. If people stop watching the channel because of a name or start watching it because of a name, then those people are morons. "A rose by any other name..."
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited March 2009
    I read the article. It shouldn't be news. What does it matter if they call themselves BigBoobiesBouncing? Seriously, if you like the shows they produce, you will watch the channel - if not, then you won't. I doubt the new name will do anything unless they drastically change their content - this shouldn't make a difference. If people stop watching the channel because of a name or start watching it because of a name, then those people are morons. "A rose by any other name..."
    I think the news is that this implies a major shift in the channel's content, as they seem to be trying to move away from the "geeks and dysfunctional, antisocial boys in their basements with video games and stuff like that."
    Post edited by Walker on
  • You guys are assuming that Sci-Fi had any judgment to begin with. They canceled Dresden Files. They aired Painkiller Jane, which I watched, but was terrible by all accounts. If you look at their list of good things compared with their list of stupid things, it's really no contest.

I turned off my cable long ago. I get my TV shows online now. I cannot say I will miss Sci-Fi channel if SyFy goes out of business. Heck, maybe I'll start listening to more books instead.
  • Question: If the Sci-Fi channel was given reasonable funding and autonomy, what would it do in order to turn a decent profit?
  • Question: If the Sci-Fi channel was given reasonable funding and autonomy, what would it do in order to turn a decent profit?
    Not be the sci-fi channel. Just become the reality TV show channel.
  • This is the best part about the name change, and it has me rolling.
    This is, indeed, an interesting coincidence. "Syf" (sing.) or "syfy" (plur.) in polish means filth, scum, acne and also syphilis: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/syf [wiktionary.org]. Makes also an interesting metatextual link to another recent Slashdot submission because of the common saying "syf i malaria" (syphylis and malaria) denoting a complete and utter mess, SNAFU etc.