This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

This week in Twitter (Tech?)

edited March 2009 in Technology
It wasn't even 5 minutes into TWIT and Leo started talking about Twitter yet again. I swear if you made a drinking game every-time Twitter was mentioned on TWIT you would be passed out drunk on the floor before the end of the show. Geez, last week they could not shut up about it either.

Comments

• It wasn't even 5 minutes into TWIT and Leo started talking about Twitter yet again. I swear if you made a drinking game every-time Twitter was mentioned on TWIT you would be passed out drunk on the floor before the end of the show. Geez, last week they could not shut up about it either.
    I agree. Gotta at least give Dvorak props for trying to stop it, but it's too powerful a beast for him to control.
  • Is the Twitter talk really undeserved? Twitter is kind of everywhere these days.
  • Is the Twitter talk really undeserved? Twitter is kind of everywhere these days.
    It takes up a disproportionate amount of time on the show, every single week. Also, they mostly talk about battles for ranking in who has the most followers as opposed to anything actually interesting.
  • Dvorak should totally bring in his sound effect board.
    Heh. I hadn't even thought about that. That would be awesome.
    Heh. I hadn't even thought about that. That would be awesome.
    Yeah, as much as I hate the sound effects, they are probably an effective weapon to eliminate Twitter talk.
  • LOL. As if who has the most followers actually matters. I have 124 followers and a bunch of them are people who just added me to get an add-back (which I don't) to increase their network.
  • I've never used it and I can't foresee an instance in the near future where I would want to.
  • I've never used it and I can't foresee an instance in the near future where I would want to.
    That's what everyone says..
    That's what everyone says..
    No, really. I don't text either.
  • edited March 2009
    I tried using Twitter for awhile as part of a roleplaying project - all "tweets" were to be made in-character. While the exercise was interesting, I couldn't maintain using it more than two days. Allow me to say, in no uncertain terms, that Twitter is the hugest motherfucking timewaster on the face of the planet. (And this is coming from someone who plays WoW.)
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
    It was one very major use: public events.

If you're at, say, PAX, Twitter is by far the best way to organize large groups of people. It's basically a live, local chatroom for the physical space of an event. There is no better way to form ad-hoc dinner or dance groups, at least among a crowd of affluent 20-35 year old gamers.
  • It just boils down to me not being in that situation enough to warrant such a use. And I don't like people. ^_~
  • Twitter is just the modern IRC.

Back in the day, tech people would hang out in IRC pretty much 24/7. They would find a server and a channel that they jived with, and always be signed into it. Of course, they would only see it when they were at their computers, but they would stay in it anyway.

What you would use it for, is crowd-sourcing. Sometimes you have a question or idea that you want to bounce around. You could post it in a forum, but it lacks the immediacy of IRC. You could send it by IM, but then you have a bunch of separate individual conversations, rather than a broadcast one.

The problem with IRC was control. You posted something, and everyone in the room could see it. You also saw everything everyone else posted. You had to specifically block or ban people to get just the ones you wanted. You were also susceptible to all the problems of having the channel ruled by autocratic moderators.

Twitter is one gigantic IRC channel. The thing is, by default you hear nothing and nobody hears you. Instead, you specifically select which people you would like to hear, and nobody hears you unless they specifically choose to. Using Twitter for role playing is interesting, but it's really not suited to that. Using Twitter for five minutes is going to give you a really bad impression of it. It's the kind of thing that you don't realize what's special about it until you invest in it.

If you actually have a lot of followers, and people following you, then it can be very powerful. You can ask questions, and get immediate answers from many many people. You can toss up ideas and get feedback immediately. You can post links to things you have made on the web, and drive traffic instantly, possibly creating a wave of re-tweets if you made something good. Likewise, you can develop relationships as you help others.

Really, it's another tiny step towards the singularity.

Sitting on Twitter all day is clearly a huge waste of time. Just as huge as sitting on WoW all day. But having it as an available resource is invaluable. If there is a world-wide chat room, how can you afford, in our society, to not be at least a small part of it?

I hardly ever use Twitter. I also agree with much of the criticism about it, especially Twitter shitter jokes. However, because I have had a bit of experience with it, I can tell you that people who haven't really tried it have no grounds on which to criticize it. Without at least a serious investment, you will not be able to perceive its true nature.
  • edited March 2009
    If there is a world-wide chat room, how can you afford, in our society, to not be at least a small part of it?
    I think that is romanticizing it a bit and devaluing other sources of communication, specifically formats that allow access to people with specific abilities, knowledge, and skill sets rather than the rambling mob.
    I am not criticizing it, I am just saying that I have no desire to use it.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited March 2009
    Unrelated: "This Week in Twitter" or "This Tweet in Tech"?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I think that is romanticizing it a bit and devaluing other sources of communication, specifically formats that allow access to people with specific abilities, knowledge, and skill sets rather than the rambling mob.
    Again, while I am also down on Twitter, you are knocking it without having tried it. Your characterization of the "rambling mob" shows that you have absolutely no clue what Twitter is actually like.
  • edited March 2009
    I think that is romanticizing it a bit and devaluing other sources of communication, specifically formats that allow access to people with specific abilities, knowledge, and skill sets rather than the rambling mob.
    Again, while I am also down on Twitter, you are knocking it without having tried it. Your characterization of the "rambling mob" shows that you have absolutely no clue what Twitter is actually like.
    I have seen it in use, and just as you were romanticising it, I was being hyperbolic and making a joke. Jeez, Scott - lighten up.

As I said, Twitter is of no use to me at this point in my life or for the foreseeable future. I am not discounting it if the situation/need arises, but it simply would add no value to my life at this point in time.

• As I said, Twitter is of no use to me at this point in my life or for the foreseeable future. I am not discounting it if the situation/need arises, but it simply would add no value to my life at this point in time.
    While this may be true, I think you don't know what the value of Twitter is. I actually highly suspect that if you actually went for it, you would probably be hooked.
  • edited March 2009

As I said, Twitter is of no use to me at this point in my life or for the foreseeable future. I am not discounting it if the situation/need arises, but it simply would add no value to my life at this point in time.
    While this may be true, I think you don't know what the value of Twitter is. I actually highly suspect that if you actually went for it, you would probably be hooked.
    The idea of being hooked on anything that potentially time-wasting is not appealing. I have seen it used, and used effectively. I don't live under a rock. I just don't care to communicate in that way nor have I encountered any situation in which Twitter would be useful to me, specifically.
  • When you have a technology that improves upon an existing technology, the utility is obvious and people are quick to adopt it.

Take for example the horse. People already have a need for transportation that was satisfied by walking. The horse improved upon that in an obvious way. Thus, the horse was quickly and widely adopted as a means of transportation. The same as was with the car, the electric light, or the washing machine which were obvious improvements upon the horse, candle, and washboard. People had needs or wants that were already satisfied by other technologies. New technologies that did an obviously better job of satisfying those wants and needs were easily accepted and adopted.

But what happens when you have a technology that satisfies a need or want that is completely new? Try selling a washboard to people who don't realize that their clothes even need washing. They don't realize there's a problem with dirty clothes. They think they have no need for a washboard or washing machine because they don't even recognize they have a need for washing. Imagine trying to sell light bulbs to people who have lived in the dark forever. Imagine trying to sell cars to people who never travel any significant distance.

A person who never travels doesn't know they need a car. They've lived their whole live without traveling, and without a problem. Why would they need a traveling machine? It is very difficult to sell them on such a technology. It isn't an obvious improvement to a technology they already use. Instead, it is a technology that grants them a new ability, an ability not to do things they already do better, but to do new things they don't already do. If you can get someone over the huge hurdle of actually using the car, they will change from being a non-traveler to a traveler, and then they will need the car. If you get the people who never clean their clothes to clean their clothes, then they will change and need the washing machines.

Twitter is not an improvement on an existing technology. Sure, it's part IRC, part forum, part IM, part SMS, but its implementation actually results in something completely new with a completely new purpose. You can't possibly know whether you need it or not until you actually use it. No, it doesn't satisfy any needs or wants you currently have. But it grants you a new ability, the benefits of which are not obvious until you use it. Bashing Twitter is aok in my book. Laconica is a much better implementation, and even that is heavily flawed. I don't even use either one that much at all. However, if you claim you don't need Twitter, but you've never actually used it, you are no different from a person living in the dark saying you don't need light bulbs.

This reminds me of the olden days when Rym would continue using IE because he didn't need tabs in his browser. Time and time again I would adopt a new technology, and Rym would say how he didn't need it. Then eventually he would adopt it. Cellphone that does more than make calls? LCD monitor? I could go on.

The point is that when a technology provides a new ability, you won't know if you need it until you use it. Trying everything and figuring out what's what is a lot better than resisting and being slow to adopt. There's no harm in trying, and you risk depriving yourself of something great.
  • edited March 2009
    This reminds me of the olden days when Rym would continue using IE because he didn't need tabs in his browser. Time and time again I would adopt a new technology, and Rym would say how he didn't need it. Then eventually he would adopt it. Cellphone that does more than make calls? LCD monitor? I could go on
    I remember you telling me about the IE thing. And I love how he acts like he never thought silly things like this.

I never really say no to new technology. I may be ambivalent, but I won't discount something right away.

That being said, I've been doing a sort of "daily Tweet" thing. That way, I end up with something to remember that day with.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Cellphone that does more than make calls?
    I still have a cell phone that only makes calls. No smartphone does what I want enough for it to be worth it.
    LCD monitor?
    I couldn't afford an LCD back in college, and I had a perfectly fine 19" CRT. As soon as the 22" Dell went on sale (and I had money), I bought it. ^_~
  • edited March 2009
    I can't believe this thread has gone this far without a mention of SpinriteSecurity now.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I can't believe this thread has gone this far without a mention ofSpinriteSecurity now.
    "I have another one for you Leo..."
  • I can't believe this thread has gone this far without a mention ofSpinriteSecurity now.
    "I have another one for you Leo..."
    Yabba dabba fuckin' doo.
  • I listened to the latest TWiT just this evening and it was the most entertaining in a loooong time. The Twitter thing is a running gag now. John moving on to the next topic, and it also being Twitter related was a classic.
  • Meh, it doesn't really bother me. Security Now is great also and doesn't talk as much about Twitter, I think. Of course, Spinrite is Security Now's thing.
  • Spinrite has always been one of Security Now thing. Gibson can't help himself but read a testimonial or two about how great Spinrite is. A little off-topic. But I think it would be great if Rym and Scott could do a TWIT. Scott and Dvorak vs Leo and Rym. ;)
  • edited March 2009
    Gibson can't help himself but read a testimonial orevery two Minutes about how great Spinrite is.
    Fix'd. I like Security Now, but I stopped listening because I got sick of hearing endless variations of "My (X object with a harddrive) stopped working, so I ran spinrite, and then it worked."
    By the time I got fed up with it enough to stop listening, I was half expecting "Oh, We have one here from a Mr G. La Forge, saying "Hello Steve, I was having some problems with my friend Data," Hmm, Odd capitalization there, but anyway, "so I busted out my trusty copy of Spinrite..." - Sure, the guy wants to plug his product, but this is just beyond a joke.
    But I think it would be great if Rym and Scott could do a TWIT. Scott and Dvorak vs Leo and Rym. ;)
    Holy shit, Somebody get Leo Laporte on the phone, this needs to happen.
    Post edited by Churba on