This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What's in the box?

edited March 2009 in Everything Else
Thanks to Rock Paper Scissors, I found this incredibly done real-life fan video based on half life 2.
IU_reTt7Hj4

A couple of important things. First thing to notice is that it says "Character audiotrack missing". Gordon Freeman anyone?

Second of all, the video has a strange black box, while the video has the text "What's in the box?".

The video is also very vague. It has been determined that it was filmed in the Netherlands. The video description says that it's an early temp version and will be deleted soon. It then links to a website.

The website itself looks simple at first. It's just the box. However, there's a string of alphanumerical characters that change rapidly near the bottom. They don't really make much sense from the couple of screenshots I took. If you move the mouse over the black box, certain letters turn into question marks.Those letters that turn into question marks read like this:
O ION NTS ST WHAT IS IN THE BOX
TIM CREA ST O ECTOR PHY BAUT MSMI
S TH IMS EEU S DITOSM CE E MIT UT
DITION R ER URIOOST D AR

Also, the source of the page contains this:
<-- Every medium, as its ancestors ->
<-- Every pro, has his anti's, now you think about that ->

I thought the video itself was impressive, but now this person managed to create this whole mystery behind it. How can this thing only have 3000 views? I haven't seen a good puzzle like this in a while.

Comments

• edited March 2009
    Look at the scrolling news thingy after equipping the Computer Brain Interface.
    Millions feared dead - No news from disaster area - Largest single collapse since Black Mesa
    Post edited by Anastius on
  • That was pretty hot.
  • This is awesome. A Half Life movie.
  • Apparently nobody in the Netherlands charges their cellphone.
  • edited March 2009
    Apparently nobody in the Netherlands charges their cellphone.
    Dude, of course not.

Acutally, I think it's supposed to be that the maincharacter has been out for days

edit: also, I found this linked in the stylesheet (anti.css)
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • I know what the box is... It's a MacGuffin. Mystery solved. The film was way cool though. I would love to watch a feature length story or episodic releases of it. One last thing it seemed a bit silly to have something so advanced as the Computer Brain Interface and not have it be able to to connect to a network without the use of a cellphone.
  • Such is one of the great difficulties in devising Sci-fi stories.