This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Army Troops Patrolled the Streets of Samson, AL

edited March 2009 in Everything Else
The Army acknowledges that regular troops were dispatched to Samson, and says an inquiry is under way.

http://www.examiner.com/x-536-Civil-Liberties-Examiner~y2009m3d17-Did-Army-troops-patrol-the-streets-of-Samson-Alabama

So, how much shit do you think they're in for this one? I mean, a major breach in constitutional law is a big deal. I'm really concerned about this because this is right next to my hometown, and the shooter that started this mess was gunned down where I'm from. The people that live there probably didn't even know that this was a law, much less such a big one. (I'm just pointing that out, ignorance is no excuse.)

Discuss.

Comments

• Maybe the solution is to stop throwing money for dispatching troops, and put a buck or two into the State's education system.
  • edited March 2009
    My country doesn't have an army, so I really don't understand the problem: they were shorthanded, so they called the army? Did the army go in without anyone asking for help? Did they think it was some terrorist? Did they go in full equipment?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • The Army would be more able to react to a lone gunman but much less able to react properly to a civilian doing something strange so the potential for accidents goes way up.
    Also take into account that, if the government can get away with using the military to control civilian populations.. well, that's a great way to start oppressing people.
  • The Army would be more able to react to a lone gunman but much less able to react properly to a civilian doing something strange so the potential for accidents goes way up.
    Also take into account that, if the government can get away with using the military to control civilian populations.. well, that's a great way to start oppressing people.
    I kinda figured that out, but it sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory. The other question is, who called them in?
  • I mean, a major breach in constitutional law is a big deal.
    But is it? As mentioned before, I'm not exactly up to date on American law, but I'm pretty sure if they want to start swinging their Khaki dick about, even within the continental united states, they have the legal power to do so, if the president signs off on it.
  • It sounds like a zombie conspiracy. A man suddenly turning violent for reasons undisclosed? A mere week later The army is patrolling the town? My zombie alarm based hunch was that he was mid transformation when he lost his mental faculties, turning violent and started shooting people (the taste for flesh had not yet manifested) . The army was summoned in case of a full blown zombie outbreak.
    *snrk*
  • I mean, a major breach in constitutional law is a big deal.
    But is it? As mentioned before, I'm not exactly up to date on American law, but I'm pretty sure if they want to start swinging their Khaki dick about, even within the continental united states, they have the legal power to do so, if the president signs off on it.
    They didn't follow the correct chain of command, they could have just as easily got national guard, and they haven't gotten the president to sign off on anything. I'm not sure I follow.
  • Bah, zombies don't know how to use guns. It better matches a Go'auld infestation. Radical mood change, relentlessly murdering people left and right. The only thing that we need now are the glowing eyes and that brings out the military...
  • edited March 2009
    Posse Comitatus.
    This is addressed in the article at length; most people just didn't read.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited March 2009
    Posse Comitatus.
    This is addressed in the article at length; most people just didn't read.
    You're right. I didn't read the article closely enough. In fact, I didn't read it at all. Mea culpa.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • They didn't follow the correct chain of command, they could have just as easily got national guard, and they haven't gotten the president to sign off on anything.
    Well, Fair enough then.