This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

edited March 2009 in Manga/Comics
Recently, on the repeated advice of a few of my friends, I started reading Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (OneManga page for this manga, which has never been licensed), which is best described as "Post-apocalyptic slice-of-life". Despite being post-apocalyptic, it's not depressing or sad at all, really. In all honestly, the feeling it evokes is like what Calvin and Hobbes or Yotsuba& does, in that a lot of things that helped set up this world you're in are mysteries, and are kept mysteries simply because they never enter the scope of the story. The art is also kinda cool. The backgrounds are really lush and well done, and the characters are all pretty distinct. It's not hard to tell one character from another just by looking, and you're not flipping around, trying to figure out who that guy was. However, a bit early on, the look like they were designed by that drunk ZUN, but they get better as time goes on.

Comments

• I love this comic. I read it about 5 years ago. Thanks for reminding me of it. I left off when she got that huge persimmon.
  • edited March 2009
    I've read it the whole way through and really liked it.
    Does anyone else feel that it's a manga where, instead of characters and atmosphere backing up the plot, the plot and characters are there to back up the atmosphere?
    Post edited by Omnutia on