This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090319 - Baseball

13»

Comments

• 7-155. The disorder is kicking in!
  • Mets 4-0. Why do you tempt me to actually care about this season. Looks like tonight will provide a return to Earth.
    4-158
    19 runs in 18 innings.

2-160.

• It's the Padres. Don't get too excited.
  • edited April 2013
    Oh it's more than that. It'll be two weeks before they play a decent team, so they should win enough games to slowly cruise below .500 over the course of 2-3 months. That is, unless the fact that they are already down 2 starting pitchers doesn't cause them to tank before they even get past the scrub teams.

I'll definitely be going to at least 2 games this year, though. Wife and I pulled together a friends/family group ticket sale for August and wound up getting 36 people to buy tickets, so everyone got a discount rate plus free food, and then we get a free 4-pack of tickets to another game of our choosing for being the group organizers. Pretty nice perk.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Oh it's more than that. It'll be two weeks before they play a decent team, so they should win enough games to slowly cruise below .500 over the course of 2-3 months. That is, unless the fact that they are already down 2 starting pitchers doesn't cause them to tank before they even get past the scrub teams.
    What do you mean past the scrub teams? We are the scrub team. Scrubs vs. scrubs.

• edited July 2013
    Let's talk about the greatest baseball band ever, Puig Destroyer, featuring such hits such as
    Stop fucking bunting:
    No clock, only outs
    But still you insist on,
    Giving them away
    ... What the fuck?
    Play for one (that's all you'll get)
    Stop fucking bunting

Post edited by Andrew on
  • Last night I was up late so watched the Home Run Derby. I caught it once years ago and found it pretty dull. But this time they changed loads of rules and it was genuinely exciting, dramatic, and a lot of fun.

It used to be that a player only had 10 swings per round, so they would wait ages for a perfect ball. The new rule is simple: as many swings as you can make in 4 minutes (with a time out and a bonus 30 seconds for at least two long hits). A simple head to head knockout structure was easy to follow too. For added excitement there was a home team winner.

One slight issue seemed to be the second player in each head to head had an advantage. I think this could be solved in the later rounds by having the player who scored most in the first round going second, so it would give an incentive to post a high score for the second player even if they've already beaten their direct opponent.