This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Unity now on windows

edited March 2009 in Video Games
Hey Scott, for all your whining about Unity, look at this business. It's on Windows now.

Article at 3D World

Comments

• It's still not free.
  • It's still not free.
    Neither is your mom, but that doesn't stop anyone.
  • edited March 2009
    Flashbang studios makes awesome from Unity: what's the problem with it?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • From what I've seen, if you're going to pay, the Garage Games platform is very similarly priced, and impresses me a lot more. One thing that makes Unity very appealing is the iPhone addon. It's probably the easiest way right now to make iPhone games, as writing a 3D game for the iPhone from scratch is a huge pain in the ass.

Even so, neither one is free. If I wanted to make money developing games, I could get Flash instead, or XNA for free. Then, once I had a hit game I would buy these other things to port it to iPhone and such.
  • edited March 2009
    From what I've seen, if you're going to pay, the Garage Games platform is very similarly priced, and impresses me a lot more.
    What have you seen that convinces you of this? Admittedly I haven't tried it, but nothing I've read about Torque makes it sound terribly impressive.
    Post edited by Alex on
  • What have you that convinces you of this? Admittedly I haven't tried it, but nothing I've read about Torque makes it sound terribly impressive.
    I've never used either one. I'm saying that the games made with Torque impress me a lot more than the games made with Unity.
  • edited March 2009
    This is like one of the few games I've seen on Unity. http://blurst.com/blush/play

It made me excited to work with it but I don't know anyone who programs 3d. I do like Garage Game's Torque a lot because you can easily export to Xbox live but I hear tech support is a bitch. How's Unity's tech support Emily/Alex?
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • This is like one of the few games I've seen on Unity.http://blurst.com/blush/play
    List of every game made with unity.I've played about 6 of these, half from Matthew and the Flashbang crew.
  • How's Unity's tech support Emily/Alex?
    There's a very active forum community, frequented by both users and the Unity devs themselves (http://forum.unity3d.com). The documentation is good, and there's a script wiki full of assorted examples.

On the rare occasions I've had to go to Unity's support guys directly, it's usually gone pretty quickly.

You (or someone you're working with) will still need to learn/know how to program. This may seem obvious, but I see a lot of people on the aforementioned forums trying to make their game out of other people's scripts and the built-in components. Their efforts don't end well.
  • edited March 2009
    It's still not free.
    Yeah, but you get a lot for what you pay, especially for the price they ask for the Indie license. I think you want some sort of mythical perfect game engine that doesn't cost money and has all the features you need to make really professional looking games, and a great physics engine, and terrain, and...and...
    Good luck with that, bro.
    I could get Flash instead
    Aww hell nah.
    Flash is good for...well, flash games. You know Alex's game? That would have been a lot more complicated to write in flash. Besides, Unity Indie costs about as much as Flash, plus you don't have to code it using Flash's proprietary action script.
    List of every game made with unity.I've played about 6 of these, half from Matthew and the Flashbang crew.
    Are you, like, friends with those guys or something?
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited March 2009
    From what I've seen, if you're going to pay, the Garage Games platform is very similarly priced, and impresses me a lot more.
    Part of the reason is not the functionality of the engine itself, but the actual games created. From what I understand, the Garage Games people are the some of the same people who worked on Tribes. The game dev skill > the actual functionality of the engine. Besides, the Torque based instant action is not actually a true game engine running in a web browser.

Also, you need to change your icon back. That new icon = no good.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Flash is good for...well, flash games. You know Alex's game? That would have been a lot more complicated to write in flash. Besides, Unity Indie costs about as much as Flash, plus you don't have to code it using Flash's proprietary action script.
    Yeah, but Flash is where the $$$ is at. There's a lot more people playing flash games than pretty much anything else. Most people can't do anything 3D at work. Even if they do have 3D, they probably can't install anything, but also probably have Flash installed. So even though Flash sucks for games on the developer side, it still rocks for raking in the dough. Also, there are plenty of awesome Flash games out there. Look at something like Fantastic Contraption. That's better than pretty much any web-browser 3d game so far, except maybe Quake Live.
  • edited March 2009
    Are you, like, friends with those guys or something?
    I'm a stalker... >.>

I just followed his Fun-motion blog for a couple of years now, and I visit his forums usually every day. I know things like the fact that he goes uni-cycling with "Data". This is just stuff that you pick up when you're interested in what someone has to say. You gotta love Blurst and Minotaur in a China Shop and all the other great games! I love physics games and Flashbang studios always makes some impressive ones using unity.
    Look at something like Fantastic Contraption. That's better than pretty much any web-browser 3d game so far, except maybe Quake Live.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • It's good to hear that Unity has sturdy support.
    You (or someone you're working with) will still need to learn/know how to program. This may seem obvious, but I see a lot of people on the aforementioned forums trying to make their game out of other people's scripts and the built-in components. Their efforts don't end well.
    I'd like to know who crashed and burned! We are working in Game Maker at the moment but after this the plan is to move to and learn Torque. Baby steps I guess. We're getting the production process down now. I love the idea of a live game in a browser but jumping from 2d to 3d is too much to handle at the moment. That's why I'd like to make some games in flash!
  • I just followed hisFun-motionblog for a couple of years now, and I visit his forums usually every day. I know things like the fact that he goes uni-cycling with "Data". This is just stuff that you pick up when you're interested in what someone has to say. You gotta love Blurst and Minotaur in a China Shop and all the other great games! I love physics games and Flashbang studios always makes some impressive ones using unity.
    One thing I like about about Blurst is that they have good concepts and nice visual execution. They are also one of the biggest developers of Unity games out there.