This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090325 - Cooking Master Boy and Chrome Shelled Regios

edited March 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we review the first episodes of Cooking Master Boy and Chrome Shelled Regios. In the news, Ponyo is coming to US theatres, m.o.v.e. will be at Anime Central, the most popular anime in Japan are not popular with otaku, the Professor Layton movie is coming, and Jeff Lemire has new books with Vertigo.

Also, don't forget that on Wednesday April 1st we are doing a special live streaming show in the early evening, eastern time. Follow geeknights on Twitter, SufficeToSay, etc. to get all the info.

Scott's Thing - DanceJam
Rym's Thing - Mormon Jesus

Comments

edited March 2009
    Concerning Chrome Shelled Regios (have watched 11 eps thus far, so yeah). It's hilariously bad. The fighting scene isn't out of place. The main male character we meet at the school is fighting that huge filth monster at the start with those two other guys. Those super powerful people standing on the side just watching and waiting till the fight is over count 9. They're the 12 strongest people on the planet. This happens before the school stuff. So we already know the main male character is super powerful, he does, and he shows it starting in the second episode, which causes hilarity imo. So the trope used is not that he's secretly super powerful and unlocks said power during numerous training arcs, the trope used instead is 'oooh' he has a 'mysterious' past. Which is explained within 10 episodes. Platoon 17 is also not the lowest of the low platoon, at least not the moment the school head puts the main male in said platoon. They basically become the entire city's filth monster counter force. Well the main male becomes the city's filth monster counter force... Another hilarious part of the show is when the Engrish comes in, which is end of ep 3 and start of ep 4, and then some. I wish they'd do something more with the setting. It's supposed to be walking cities on a barren planet defending themselves from monsters and fighting each other in competition for scarce resources, i.e. survival of the fittest. Sadly that hasn't happened yet and they just keep going on with the somehow interesting generic characters. Also, episode 11 is the obligatory, fanservicey beachpool episode, and it's somehow hilarious. I blame the school head for going crazy over his sister.

The above is one big block of text because YOU SHOULDN'T BOTHER READING IT! If you happen to have several seas of time available, and happen to have fansubs of this anime at your disposal instead of Michiko e Hatchin, or any other good show, you might try and watch a few episodes of this. Now, why didn't you guys do a show about Michiko e Hatchin? It finished.

EDIT: Also, watching you guys watch anime while syncing along is hilarious.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Michiko e Hatchin? It finished.
    Elaborate please? I'm curious.
  • I love how you managed to get two seemingly unconnected MC Hammer things of the day into the show.
  • I taught myself three basic breakdancing moves for the fun of it, which made for a damn good warm up routine. I think I might be using this site more next time I'm bored with too much energy.
    Also, watching you guys watch anime while syncing along is hilarious.
    From what I saw, it was a pretty amusing sight. It kind of made me wonder what it would be like if Dave and Joel did the same thing.
  • Michiko e Hatchin? It finished.
    Elaborate please? I'm curious.
    What is there to elaborate? The show Rym and Scott talked about when last autumn season started has finished.
    It kind of made me wonder what it would be like if Dave and Joel did the same thing.
    That would be a formula for disaster. For the dinosaurs, fuck yeah!
  • edited March 2009
    Bread show = Yakitate Japan, read "Addicted to curry" if you like the type of show/manga.

Problem with Cooking Master Boy is that its impossible to get the whole thing in Japanese, most of the fansubs out there are made from the Chinese dubs.

PD: its Mapo Tofu
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Every time I see that Mormon Jesus video, I keep expecting He-Man to show up and kick God's ass. I forgot that 70's animation could be so bad. This makes the early Superfriends cartoon look positively Akira-esque.
  • I went to see m.o.v.e at a convention here in Germany two years ago. The sound setup was awful, but it was a really great concert. At least for me ;)