This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Newsweek article on The End of Christian America.

edited April 2009 in Flamewars
This article details a decline in the number of Americans who self identify as Christians. What's amazing is not that America is becoming atheist overnight (it's not) but that there is any decline at all in this figure. In the end, the article doesn't go anywhere. It's just a provocative title designed to sell magazines (or get clicks) like everything else in Newsweek. Still, the concept that fewer people are self identifying as Christians is intriguing in an extremely religious country.

Comments

• It amazes me that the religious insiders don't understand what has been happening. All they have to do is look around their own congregations to figure out these are people who are not religious, only culturally confined to the rituals of their ancestors. Especially in the American northeast, Protestantism has been as cultural an identifier as Judaism. These are people who sit in church because that's what families do on Sunday mornings.
  • It amazes me that the religious insiders don't understand what has been happening. All they have to do is look around their own congregations to figure out these are people who are not religious, only culturally confined to the rituals of their ancestors. Especially in the American northeast, Protestantism has been as cultural an identifier as Judaism. These are people who sit in churchbecause that's what families do on Sunday mornings.
    Most of the churches I see around have largely taken the role of a community center. They have pre-schools, sports, activities for teens, pancake breakfasts, etc. For the people at the top, it's about god. They see those activities as ways to get people in, and ways to make money. Do they realize that for the congregants those things are the primary function? Do the congregants realize it themselves?

I've heard stories about atheist rabbis who lament that they have to present a different theology to their congregants than what they themselves hold. The congregants are typically far less religious than the rabbi, but would outrage at the suggestion that there is no god, even though they don't realize they don't believe.
  • This episode of Family Guy is relevant to my interests (and for some reason has been removed from Hulu).
  • Due to a legal matter, we've had to pull the episode "Not All Dogs Go to Heaven" from the site temporarily. We'll get the episode posted back up shortly, after the content owner has resolved the issue.
    I wonder what kind of legal matter occured. They said Content Owner; does that mean Seth or Fox?
  • Due to a legal matter, we've had to pull the episode "Not All Dogs Go to Heaven" from the site temporarily. We'll get the episode posted back up shortly, after the content owner has resolved the issue.
    I wonder what kind of legal matter occured. They said Content Owner; does that mean Seth or Fox?
    Probably something to do with the Star Trek references.
  • I was guessing the jab at the "big brown smelly god" of the terrorists.
    Probably something to do with the Star Trek references.
    They tend to reference a ton of things; it's never gotten them in trouble before.

Well, except for "When You Wish Upon a Jew".
  • edited April 2009
    Well, except for "When You Wish Upon a Jew".
    OPTIMUS PRIME is JEWISH?!?
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Well, except for "When You Wish Upon a Jew".
    OPTIMUS PRIME is JEWISH?!?
    RoboJewish.
  • RoboJewish.
    He even lopped a hunk off his flange with an angle grinder.
  • RoboJewish.
    He even lopped a hunk off his flange with an angle grinder.
    Every year, he goes to pray at the Welding Wall.
  • Every year, he goes to pray at the Welding Wall.
    And digs into some Matzo Bolt soup when he's sick.
  • And wears a satellite dish on his head when he goes to temple.

HAHAHAHA!
    (Hotlinked, like your mom).
  • (Hotlinked, like your mom).
    Oh yeah, that one. Pretty great, also, Rym you shitcock.