This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090406 - Tech Bundle

edited April 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss a bundle of tech topics including regular expressions, streaming screen captures, and shitcockery. In the news, rick752 is dead and Boston's trains suck.

Comments

• Boston's trains suck.
    Maybe the other commuter rail lines do, but I've rarely had problems on the Providence/Stoughton line.
  • Is it me or is the iTunes feed for GeekNights hosed up? Neither last Tuesday's (3-31) nor today's (4-6) episode have shown up in my podcasts.
  • edited April 2009
    This is why Indian trains beat the hell out of New York trains.

Also, I'm beginning to think that Scrym's hopper is just a black hole with a tube sticking out of it. :P
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Is it me or is the iTunes feed for GeekNights hosed up? Neither last Tuesday's (3-31) nor today's (4-6) episode have shown up in my podcasts.
    Me too, itunes seem to be slow in getting the lastest shows.
  • Well, the latest ep. showed up this morning when I refreshed my listing, but last Tuesday's has yet to show in the main GeekNights feed. It does, however, show up under the Tuesday-only feed. The Powers That Be may want to look into this. ;)
  • This is why Indian trains beat the hell out of New York trains.
    Yea, I think people's commutes would be so much better if everyone broke into song and dance.

I wonder if anyone tripped off that train :-p
    I deleted GeekNights in Itunes, then added GeekNights again. That fixed it for me.
  • I deleted GeekNights in Itunes, then added GeekNights again. That fixed it for me.
    Yeah, but the new feeds no longer include the dates. I miss my dates. :(
  • edited April 2009
    It's alright Ro, I miss them too.. :'(
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I don't know what's going on now, iTunes just downloaded duplicates of the show without the date in the title. It also seems to be out of order. The dates are all the 30th of November, from years 2006 to 2008. I'll probably have to delete all my Geeknights like mentioned above.
  • This one is all Scott. I suggested that we make new feeds, rather than switching the underlying feeds out from under FeedBurner.
  • Fortunatly, WinAmp, which I normally have problems with, only downloaded the one episode.
  • Yeah, winamp is confused to all hell with the dates.
  • I will investigate. There are lots of steps in the chain

generation of the raw feeds
    feedburner
    stupid rss readers
  • Rym: MBTA, not MTBA. D:
    It is nice for geeknights to have a full time tech support person, aka scott. This is the envy of every pod caster in the world.
  • The NYC subway door closed on my body today because my parents were being slow.

generation of the raw feeds
    feedburner
    stupid rss readers
    Just for the record, my Juice client had the same issues.
  • Well, all of the recent episodes appear to be back in the iTunes main feed, but the shows are titled "090331 - Game Marketing Exaggerations" as opposed to "GeekNights 090331 - Game Marketing Exaggerations". Whether that's worth fixing, though...
  • edited April 2009
    Well, all of the recent episodes appear to be back in the iTunes main feed, but the shows are titled "090331 - Game Marketing Exaggerations" as opposed to "GeekNights 090331 - Game Marketing Exaggerations". Whether that's worth fixing, though...
    Do you want it fixed? It would take two seconds.
    EDIT: I did it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • @Scott concerning fansubbed anime filenames: Not consistent? Are you crazy? Over 95% of all fansubs are opening square bracket, fansubgroup name (sometimes abbreviated), closing square bracket, your mom, optionally a hyphen, the episode number, another opening square bracket, the 8 character CRC, closing square bracket, point, file extension. These elements are separated by either spaces or underscores. Sometimes there's another square brackets block before the CRC which speaks about the file, whether it was sourced from DVDs, whether it is encoded with H.264/AAC/whathaveyou. At most you could snip off the the first square brackets block so that you only have to type the first character of the show you're going to watch and the episode number. The rest is tab completion, so why the heck did you ever care enough about the rest of that noise?

Also, could you post that script you've written for it? I'm interested in how much you went out of your way to deal with it while claiming you don't have time for shit.

• Also, could you post that script you've written for it? I'm interested in how much you went out of your way to deal with it while claiming you don't have time for shit.
    It's a regular expression. It's like, one line.
    edited April 2009
    It's a regular expression. It's like, one line.
    Thus I ask, post it. No sense in asking for a 20 liner. Also, way to ignore the more important part of my post. ;)
    Post edited by ... on
  • This is a post regarding Scott talking about streaming a screen grab.

I'm not sure if it will entirely solve your problem, but you can get free software (on windows) that mimics a web cam but broadcasts your screen.

The one I use is the hmelyoff VH Screen Capture Driver. It's basically a direct show filter. You just have to look for it in the dropdown menu where you can select web cams.