This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Room... In 1998

RymRym
edited April 2009 in GeekNights
When I was a lad in high school, I happened at some point to take a picture of one corner of my bedroom for some reason. I can't recall exactly why I did this, but regardless, I stumbled upon the photograph recently. I thus present to you an annotated, if small, window into the Rym that was (in high school). I was awesome.

Link

A. Classy original Star Wars movie poster

B. Decidedly non-classy Star Wars poster

C. I have no comment about these Star Wars lithographs

D. This was a terrible graphic novel, which I only owned for the fact that it involved dragons.

E. I periodically stacked different manga/comic books here as the whim came or went. In this case, it was Tenchi. Note the hardcover of Cormyr.

F. My cable box, required to gain access to the premium channels.

G. I used to play darts fairly often, and this was for practice. I was never terribly good.

H. Forgotten Realms and other mostly fantasy books. Few of these were particularly good.

I. My hand-made wizard staff. My grandfather helped me grind down and then install the enormous quartz crystal in the top.

J. Fansubs. Mostly Sailor Moon from VKLL.

K. Commercial anime VHS tapes, including Dragon Half, Project A-Ko, etc...

L. My sword.

M. The 1979 RCA. This survived through Colony, and then into the GeekHaus in Beacon. We left it outside for over a week while we decided how to properly dispose of it. and we amazed that, despite multiple rainings, it still functioned after the ordeal.

N. I've used this alarm clock for most of my life, and continue to do so.

O. My mini-fridge. Used originally for band camp, and then later for RIT, this was filled with Dr. Pepper and Canada Dry primarly, plus some cheese and cold cuts.

P. Posted signed by the cast of Les Miserables. Peeking out from behind it is my second varity letter, which didn't fit on my jacket.

Q. VKLL's fansub of End of Evangelion. I saw this long before I even knew there was a show that preceeded it.

R. Atari 2600 and 7800 games.

S. I loved this hat. I wore it daily for much of my freshman year at RIT, and it was even stolen once. It eventually shrunk, and no longer fit my head. I don't know what actually ever happened to it. Note the Forgotten Realms box beneath it.

T. Sheet music, probably for marching band. Music was easily the most important aspect of high school for me.

U. An enormous tin of Altoids. I was semi-addicted to them since middle school.

V. Two very important texts to me (at the time): the collected works of Poe, and a wonderful collection of classic short stories.

W. My NES, Atari 7800, and Macrovision-free VCR. The SNES was in my brother's room.

X. My M.A.S.K. trash can, which I've had for almost my entire life.

Y. My D&D books, along with some forty issues of Dragon Magazine, not to mention a handful of Dungeon.

Comments

• I always wanted a mini-fridge in my room when I was in high-school. >_>
  • What is that Oh My Goddess thingy next to the on-display Tenchi books?

Neat picture, by the way.
  • Do you still have your sword? I haven't noticed it at your place.
  • Handmade staff! Awesome. Do you still have it?
  • I wish I had more older pictures. Digital cameras should have been invented earlier. Film is/was such a pain in the ass for me.
  • You know, having a mini dartboard right on top of your TV is dangerous!
  • You know, having a mini dartboard right on top of your TV is dangerous!
    The dartboard didn't use real darts, it used the plastic kind. Also, as was already mentioned, that TV was invincible.
  • The dartboard didn't use real darts, it used the plastic kind.
    Yeap. There was also a full-sized electric one down in the den, and the real dartboard was in the basement.
  • I wish my room was actually good. Now it's just becoming a shithole/storage place until I go off to college. There's almost no floor space and barely any shelf space left. Manga, books, dvds, and videogames are migrating into piles on the floor...<_<. Pretty much the only use of it right now is to store shit and sleep.
  • Pretty much the only use of it right now is to store shit and sleep.
    That's all you need in life, a little place for your stuff. That's all your house is: a place to keep your stuff. If you didn't have so much stuff, you wouldn't need a house. You could just walk around all the time.
  • edited May 2009
    Pretty much the only use of it right now is to store shit and sleep.
    What about the late nights of Civ/Warcraft/Anime

I mean that would be weird if other "normal humans" saw my geekish lifestyle
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • edited April 2009
    What about the late nights of Civ/Warcraft/Anime
    I don't play Civ or Warcraft...as for anime and gaming, the family laptop (which is essentially mine since everyone else in the house uses some shitty old computer we have) is downstairs. If I'm not watching anime on that I'll watch it on the TV. It's no biggie. As for gaming, I primarily play DS, which I can play anywhere. Otherwise I have ROMs on the laptop.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Do you still have your sword? I haven't noticed it at your place.