This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Spooky Games

2»

Comments

• What did they call those stupid white zombie things that would start raping Link if he got too close? Those scared me off OoT for a week the first time I ran into them.
    Re-Deads.
  • Re-Deads, thank you. Pure evil.

I just thought Eversion was kind of funny the first time I played it.
    You've got stronger nerves than I, good sir. The screaming hand thing made me jump out of my chair. ^_^;
  • edited April 2009
    Creepy things in Zelda:
    OoT: The Shadow Temple, The Forest Temple, Bottom of the Well, Garudo fortress (kinda), Re-Dead (& the Mummy variant Gibbos), Like-Likes, Wallmasters, Invisible Floormaster, Dead Hand (guy with all the hands sticking out of the ground, found in The Well and Shadow Temple).

I think some of the temples also preyed well on the feeling that you are very much alone* in a dangerous place.

*With the exception of a very annoying and useless fairy.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited April 2009
    What did they call those stupid white zombie things that would start raping Link if he got too close? Those scared me off OoT for a week the first time I ran into them.
    Re-Deads.
    Redeads aren't white. Those are the Dead Hands and in the Bottom of the Well.

The ReDeads creeped me out as a kid, especially the ones from WW.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • edited April 2009
    I think he was talking about Re-Deads, theres that part you fall into in the bottom of the well (with the silver rupees) as well as some in the Kakoriki grave yard graves that have the bandages on them (Gibdos).
  • The Shadow temple is the worst. We had to turn the music off, because it alone scared the crap out of me and my brother. But that level is so disturbing. Miyamoto was just trying to make us all pee our pants.
  • One game that spooked me out was mainly based on the shock aspect plus I was playing late at night with only the monitor on, get ready to laugh at me -
    F.E.A.R. when it first came out.

The story component helped this a lot, as did volumetric lighting. At the same time so did certain events like having the guy you're chasing double back and wait till you turnaround and back track only to knock you out with a plank of wood. Weird stuff like that and the visual anomalies.

However this game lost a lot of the meta fear as I whooped the game due to the crazy number of health packs, even on the hardest setting. The expansions and sequel did nothing for me as I pretty much knew what was coming even though there were some cool set pieces.
  • I hear the System Shock games were pretty scary in their day.
  • I hear the System Shock games were pretty scary in their day.
    I had to stop playing System Shock 2 because it was making me too tense. It's really creepy. But I can't play survival horror games either. All that waiting-for-something-to-crash-through-the-wall makes me nuts.
  • Re-Deads turned white when you played the sunshine-y song on the ocarina, didn't they? It's been so long since I played OoT last, forgive me. ^_^;;
    One game that spooked me out was mainly based on the shock aspect plus I was playing late at night with only the monitor on, get ready to laugh at me -
    F.E.A.R. when it first came out.
    Don't worry. Once I was hanging out with some guys---adults, mind---at about two in the morning playing F.E.A.R. on an Xbox. I think they were slightly drunk, but any time anything happened they'd jump and yell and freak out and shoot everything on sight. Being sober I found this hilarious. =D

Another friend swears that "Haunting Grounds" is the most terrifying game in existence, but I've never played it.
  • edited April 2009
    I looked it up. It turns out they were re-dead in the bottom swampy bit. The gibdos appear in the room with the coffins.
  • edited April 2009
    The re-deads and Forest Temple were creepy to me as well, but I never found the Shadow Temple all that scary. I think it kinda seemed to be trying too hard with the excessive use of skulls and all.

Edit: Now Shadow Man (N64), difficulty aside, was a game that always creeped me out. Something about the combination of the sounds, music, and the way things were animated just got to me.
    Post edited by AtheriShadow on
  • edited April 2009
    It only just occurred to me that the Milkman Conspiracy from Psychonauts is one of the most unnerving levels in a game I've played. It's brightly lit and utterly bizarre. I think The Meat Circus was more just weird than creepy.
  • I just remembered this. There was a NES game called Monster Party. In the first level, it starts off with a standard, happy 8-bit video game look. Platforms made of smiley face blocks; you know the sort of thing I'm talking about. But halfway through the level, lightning strikes and everything turns evil. The smiley face blocks turn into bloody skulls, etc. Once, I decided to wander around the whole level for a while, looking at all the evil stuff, and eventually, I swear, I almost threw up. I was maybe 9.
  • I just remembered this. There was a NES game calledMonster Party. In the first level, it starts off with a standard, happy 8-bit video game look. Platforms made of smiley face blocks; you know the sort of thing I'm talking about. But halfway through the level, lightning strikes and everything turns evil. The smiley face blocks turn into bloody skulls, etc. Once, I decided to wander around the whole level for a while, looking at all the evil stuff, and eventually, I swear, I almost threw up. I was maybe 9.
    Monster party is actually a really awesome game. I'm pretty sure it was one of the few games released in the US, but not Japan. It's hard, but not AVGN stupid hard. Definitely a forgotten great.
  • Monster party is actually a really awesome game. I'm pretty sure it was one of the few games released in the US, but not Japan.
    I didn't know that. Yeah, it was a really fun game.
  • It only just occurred to me that the Milkman Conspiracy from Psychonauts is one of the most unnerving levels in a game I've played. It's brightly lit and utterly bizarre. I think The Meat Circus was more just weird than creepy.
    Oh my God. That level scared me. The level has a changing center of gravity, and everything twists and turns. It was scary.
    What scared me more was the Upper Asylum. I never beat that because I couldn't get past it. Shegor keeps popping out of nowhere, and there's all this darkness and creepy stuff. Uggh...
  • A friend of mine claimed to have nightmares about the ending of Monster Party, which I found believable at the time since it did a pretty good job of portraying [your transformation into a monster] in NES graphics.