This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Call to those familiar with wordpress and webhosting

In the attempt to start a podcast, I purchased hosting on dreamhost.com with not much forethought. I had set up Wordpress with their one click installation, but have come to find that I can't post files over 10 mb because of limitations set by a file called php.ini. I have no idea where to find this file. I probably should have read up on some things before running to get my website going.

Comments

• Have you tried looking on Google, emailing Dreamhost customer support and looking in the Dreamhost forums? It'll probably get the job done faster.
  • Can you not just upload the file via FTP onto your host and then remote link it using a podcast plugin on wordpress.org? You don't HAVE to upload it through the web interface, you can just as easily do it using your FTP client. Also dreamhost is lame, go with elief.com or something, they might be slightly more expensive, but my god is the service they provide good for shared-hosting.
  • Omnutia, DH doesn't provide support for 3rd party apps, so they will simply refer him to the WP site.

By the way, I highly recommend the Wordpress Codex if you are new to WP. It's very helpful in finding out how to do things.
    Can you not just upload the file via FTP onto your host and then remote link it using a podcast plugin on wordpress.org? You don't HAVE to upload it through the web interface, you can just as easily do it using your FTP client. Also dreamhost is lame, go with elief.com or something, they might be slightly more expensive, but my god is the service they provide good for shared-hosting.
    Yes, yes you can.

If you use the PodPress plugin, you choose a directory where your media files are located. I just made a folder in my root directory (domain.com/podcasts) and put all my podcast files in there with an FTP client. I never use the file upload function in the Wordpress interface, even for images. FTP is teh easiest way to do it, and there are plenty of free clients like Filezilla available.

I am curious why you say that Dreamhost is lame. I've been there since 2002 and they provide pretty decent service. Dreamhost is actually great for Wordpress users because they offer a 1-click install.
  • edited May 2009
    Well, it's mostly my personal opinion attached to a bad experience (slow, lots of down time and long delays between sending a support ticket and getting a reply). I'm sure they're fine, I just get a knee-jerk "Useless!" reaction when I hear their name.

Edit: A a side-note, this was YEARS ago.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • I've had one bad experience that had long down time and delayed ticket response. It was a widespread issue related to an emergency move of accounts from one server to another. It was incredibly nerve-wracking, but they did work nonstop to fix the issues. I suspect the lack of response was because they got so many tickets that their time was better spent fixing the problem. Once it was fixed, they got around to addressing each submitted ticket. For the most part, I've had great support and fast response times.

They've also gotten a lot better about down-time. It used to be fairly frequent ( back in '02-'04) that a website would go down for an hour or two, but now it rarely happens to me.

That said, I would only recommend them for small to medium traffic websites. If you've got heavy traffic, I'd go with a service like Linode. DH has a limit on the number of concurrent connections, so even if you're far below your bandwidth, your traffic would be limited if you have a bunch of people hitting the site simultaneously.