This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What use is creationism?

Comments

• One is based on science and the other is based on faith.
    That's a rather ironic statement.
  • I found this horriblearticlewhere someone attempts to defend creationism vs. evolution. Don't these people understand that you can not compare the two? One is based on science and the other is based on faith.
    The main problem I have with that article is he's confusing open mindedness and questioning with quality control. ID is just shitty science, and any intelligent person who isn't blinded by dogma knows that.
  • I found this horriblearticlewhere someone attempts to defend creationism vs. evolution. Don't these people understand that you can not compare the two? One is based on science and the other is based on faith.
    The main problem I have with that article is he's confusing open mindedness and questioning with quality control. ID is just shitty science, and any intelligent person who isn't blinded by dogma knows that.
    That's because it's not science! It does not matter what sort of evidence you put before someone who believes in ID. Even if you have direct proof of evolution in a petri dish the ID believer will just say that you are seeing 'God's hand' in action!

Because God exists as an omnipotent being who has always existed an ID believer can rationalize evolution quite easily by simply saying that God created evolution when he designed life. The believer can say that evolution is part of ID.

Using that same rational the ID believer can look at those who believe in evolution and laugh at them. Not because evolution is wrong but because to them evolution happened after God created the universe. The crux of the evolution vs. creationism debate is not the process by which life mutates but where life originates from. Evolution in action can not be used to discredit creationism. The only way to (possibly) discredit ID is by creating life out of inert matter. Even then I imagine some creationists would simply say, "well, how do you think God did it?"
  • ID is just shitty science,
    No, having insufficient numbers of controls is shitty science. ID is explicitly not science.

Evolution does not explain the origins of life; it simply describes mechanisms by which life changes. We have other theories in other branches of science describing the (potential) origins of life. Any of those theories are more valid and useful than creationism or ID.
  • The Discovery Institue is at it again:

Casey Luskin of the pseudo-science young earth creationist organization The Discovery Institute recently went on Fox News to tout how bad science Textbooks are since they don't feature their specific creationist propaganda.

Of course Fox News did not provide him an opponent in the discussion and he got off the program scot-free, but that of course doesn't stop the internet. A YouTube user named DonExodus2 who I subscribe to made a very good video debunking Luskins propaganda:

As a reaction, the Discovery Institute has broken a few laws by filing a false DMCA claim in an attempt to get the response video taken down and ultimately censor DonExodus. Of course The Discovery Institute doesn't even own the material and DonExodus' video is most certainly protected as being commentary and educational material for which he does not take any money.
  • I don't even know if I can get enraged anymore. I'm just numb at this point.
  • Using that same rational the ID believer can look at those who believe in evolution and laugh at them. Not because evolution is wrong but because to them evolution happenedafterGod created the universe. The crux of the evolution vs. creationism debate is not the process by which life mutates but where life originates from. Evolution in action can not be used to discredit creationism. The only way to (possibly) discredit ID is by creating life out of inert matter. Even then I imagine some creationists would simply say, "well, how do you think God did it?"
    I would like to point out that most Christians (the ones I am around anyway, here in the deep south) do not really know what evolution is and do not care or want to hear. It is satanic or whatnot, and you are going to hell if you believe it. Simple as that. If they ever hear the word "evolution," is is like someone said a curse word. To them evolution means people=monkeys. They don't want to be equated to monkeys, so of course they don't like it. I try to explain to them (my entire family, unfortunately) that evolution is not necessarily what they think it means, but they don't seem to understand what I'm saying.

I would be extremely surprised to hear a Christian say "Sure evolution makes sense and is true, but God started everything with the point of his finger and evolution came afterward." That kind of thinking is almost too profound for them. I would be happy if I could get my family thinking on that level. Of course, now I know there are probably Christians that do think this way, I just never met any.
  • I would be extremely surprised to hear a Christian say "Sure evolution makes sense and is true, but God started everything with the point of his finger and evolution came afterward." That kind of thinking is almost too profound for them. I would be happy if I could get my family thinking on that level. Of course, now I know there are probably Christians that do think this way, I just never met any.
    That's what my parents believe.
  • I would be extremely surprised to hear a Christian say "Sure evolution makes sense and is true, but God started everything with the point of his finger and evolution came afterward." That kind of thinking is almost too profound for them. I would be happy if I could get my family thinking on that level. Of course, now I know there are probably Christians that do think this way, I just never met any.
    Do they also believe god created light before stars? Or that the sky is made out of metal?
  • the sky is made out of metal?
    Huh?
    I never heard this one.
  • Do they also believe god created light before stars? Or that the sky is made out of metal?
    Please, Jason. The night sky is a big blanket that the Great Spirit covers the earth with every day, duh.
  • edited June 2009
    the sky is made out of metal?
    Huh?
    I never heard this one.
    Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

The Hebrew word for firmament, raqia, actual means metal. In effect, the bible says, "Hey we're going to divide creation into water and metal above it."

More fun: According to Genesis chapter one, plants were made on the third day. The sun was made on the fourth day. Fuck photosynthesis. Or, you know, that whole "earth going around the sun" thing.
    Post edited by Jason on
    Do they also believe god created light before stars? Or that the sky is made out of metal?
    No. lol. I've never heard either of those sayings.
  • If any Christian honestly believes that the creation stories in Genesis are literally true, they probably need to take a few history lessons. My Catholic middle school straight up told us that the Genesis creation stories were about as factual as Greek myths.
  • The Hebrew word for firmament,raqia, actual means metal.
    What do you base it on?
    I found a description of it as an actual material, but it's described as some magical material.

Moreover, later on a declension of the word ("Lirqua") is used as a verb for separating.
  • If any Christian honestly believes that the creation stories in Genesis are literally true, they probably need to take a few history lessons. My Catholic middle school straight up told us that the Genesis creation stories were about as factual as Greek myths.
    That's actually extremely progressive for a Catholic school of any sort. Was it an old style nuns-teaching ruler-beating Catholic school or some wishy-washy John Paul II style school?
  • I guess a wishy-washy John Paul II school.
  • Firmament:
    “The Hebrew term raqia’ suggests a thin sheet of beaten metal (cf. Exod. 39.3; Num 17.3; Jer 10.9; also Job 37.18)… Job 26.13 depicts God’s breath as the force that calmed (or ‘spread’, ‘smoothed’) the heavens. Luminaries were set in the firmament on the fourth day of creation (Gen 1.14-19). Rains were believed to fall through sluices or windows in its surface (cf. Gen 7.11).” (338-339)

— Achtemeier, Paul J (Ed). The HarperCollins Bible Dictionary. (New York: HarperCollins, 1996)
    That's what my church the church I officially belong in believes.
    That's whatmy churchthe church I officially belong in believes.
    That's what the Pope believes former Pope John Paul II believed.

Yes, they're still out there.
  • I'd go, if I were a student. This is basically a free lunch with entertainment.
  • I would with that I could assume this is an elaborate joke, a sort of game among academics to "prove" increasingly laughable ideas in like company. However...
    Insofar as any thing is able to be legitimately confused by intelligent people with parody thereof, said thing is stupid.
    The fact that I cannot be sure that this is a joke, nor that others would not see it as a joke, is illuminating.
  • I'd go, if I were a student. This is basically a free lunch with entertainment.
    That's exactly what I thought when I read it.
    The fact that I cannot be sure that this is a joke, nor that others would not see it as a joke, is illuminating.
    And all the more scary.
  • This is basically a free lunch with entertainment.
    $50 per person with complimentary luncheon
    Students and clergy admitted free, with identification.
    Reading is still hard for the USA.
    Students and clergy admitted free, with identification.
    Reading is still hard for the USA.
    Oi.
  • If you can record the event on video. That 50 bucks might be worth it. Just upload it on YouTube with some choice voice over commentary and watch the flies swarm in.