This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How did they bust Shawn Hogan?

edited July 2006 in Technology
Wired magazine has a great article on Shawn Hogan who is fighting the MPAA in a lawsuit that alleges that he downloaded the movie "Meet the Fockers" using BitTorrent. I think R & S may have discussed this, but I couldn't find the link. Here's the Wired mag link.

My question to you is: how could they have busted him using BitTorrent? I know he probably didn't do it and that's the point, but how could anyone get busted using BitTorrent? If you can, then the Pirate Bay is not secure.

On his blog, Hogan talks about the BitTorrent site having a lot of pirated movies.

Maybe it's a honeypot? That would definitely be a way to get busted. You log in to an MPAA front site, you give them your personal information, you download a movie which they record evidence of and then they sue you. That could be it. I'd be interested to know of other ways and how secure you rate places like TPB?

Honestly, it's far easier to use Netflix and services like lala.com than to bother with downloading.

Comments

• My question to you is: how could they have busted him using BitTorrent? I know he probably didn't do it and that's the point, but how could anyone get busted using BitTorrent? If you can, then the Pirate Bay is not secure.
    From my understanding, the MPAA guys download a torrent and look at the IPs of other people downloading that torrent. Then they go to the ISP and ask who this person is with this IP address. The Pirate's Bay has nothing to do with how the MPAA busts people. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
    Honestly, it's far easier to use Netflix and services like lala.com than to bother with downloading.
    Honestly, it's far cheaper to use BitTorrent and websites like The Pirate Bay than to bother with purchasing.
  • >Honestly, it's far cheaper to use BitTorrent and websites like The Pirate Bay than to bother with purchasing.
    Well, yes, unless you get caught. My point is that if this is true then TBP is not secure and you can get busted using it, apparently quite easily.
  • The Pirates Bay has nothing to do with you getting caught using Bit Torrent. All they do is link to torrent files. You should research how BitTorrent works if you think differently. Also, many people are now using BitTorrent in combination with tor to make sure they can't get caught.
  • The Tor people don't want people to use BitTorrent with Tor, and I expect you'd get fairly slow speeds with it as well. For that purpose I suggest you use the SafePeer Azureus plugin or PeerGuardian.
  • The Tor people don't want people to use BitTorrent with Tor, and I expect you'd get fairly slow speeds with it as well. For that purpose I suggest you use theSafePeerAzureus plugin orPeerGuardian.
    Thanks for the links!
  • Also thanks, but I have a question on safepeer. Once the plugin is installed, it just does its' thing? You don't have to do anything else?
  • Yup, once SafePeer is installed it protects you from the anti-pirates ninjas (RIAA/MPAA)
  • Hey if the MPAA are downloading pirate movies shouldn't they arrest themselves?
  • ....Well they ARE assholes.
  • Unfortunatley being an asshole isn't a crime although it should be.
    Speaking as a representative of assholes everywhere, I disagree.
    Thank God! Otherwise, I'd be in jail!
  • edited July 2006
    Well being an idiot should earn you a tag that does not let work with people.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Well being an idiot should earn you a tag that does not let work with people.
    Sticks and stones. Actually your poor grammar hurts worse.
  • Well being an idiot should earn you a tag that does not let you work with people.
    Sticks and stones. Actually your poor grammar hurts worse.
    Well sorry I forgot to add "you" while editing.
  • I almost think monitoring what you do with you bandwidth is similar to someone opening your mail (which is a federal offense). Whatever you are downloading, you are the intended viewer, and thus should have your privacy of information protected. At least while you're in the U.S.

Maybe I'm the only one who sees this connection, but I think they are very similar subjects. Too bad the kind of legislature that could protect bandwidth / electronic information has no chance of being written in the next 40 years. At that time we'll get that "fresh" wave of senators and reprentatives that actually know what the internet is and then educated legislature can be written. I'm sure plenty of private solutions would be available by then anyways though.

I know there's some sort of act Bill Cinton put into effect, in regards to privacy of information alreayd on your computer. But I'm not familiar with it. I think it had something to with the files on your computer being personaly property, and it would be trespassing to look through your computer without a warrant, and thus if the government found something they can't use it, unless they had a warrant.

But from what I know, RIT has been searching student computers for specific files to accuse them of thievery (this summer a number of people were "attacked" (for lack of better word) in search of Battlefield 2 piracy, by RIT simply searching computer files. I think it's part of RIT policy that they can search your computer if you're using their network, but I think it's possible that policy is unlawful in the first place, hmmmm.)
  • A catch-22 here. Federal mail is quite regulated, hence laws against opening your mail. For those that espouse a free and open internet, it's inconsistent to ask for laws regulating who can see what.