This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your Cosplay Experiences

2»

Comments

• Status as what?
    Trying to make sense of something random Konata says is a sign of madness.
    Who is Konata?
    imageOtaku girl of Lucky Star fame.
    What depresses me is how quickly this cosplay thread turned into a conversations about breasts...
    You all disgust me.
    Oh Axel...
  • edited May 2009
    What depresses me is how quickly this cosplay thread turned into a conversations about breasts...
    You all disgust me.
    It's not a discussion about boobs specifically. We're just discussing various breastal strategies that may be employed by cosplayers to best match the ridiculous proportions they're attempting to mimic.

We could have an-depth conversation about breasts, if you'd like. I can talk at length about my boob preferences. As long as the word "scrotal" doesn't appear anywhere in the conversation, it's all good.

EDIT: The one thing I have to say, as a cosplay watcher, is that you don't want to go overboard with it. Li Akahi's Link cosplay is pretty damn good, and it's reliably so. It's not overly elaborate, but it's elaborate enough that it works well. I remember one Otakon where a cosplayer had these ridiculous fully articulated angel wings as part of her costume. It took a lot of effort, clearly, but it definitely stank of "doing too much with it." Keep it good and simple; you'll be more likely to execute it well that way.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Wecouldhave an-depth conversation about breasts, if you'd like.
    Why don't you start a thread about that.
  • What depresses me is how quickly this cosplay thread turned into a conversations about breasts...
    You all disgust me.
    It's not a discussion about boobs specifically. We're just discussing various breastal strategies that may be employed by cosplayers to best match the ridiculous proportions they're attempting to mimic.

Wecouldhave an-depth conversation about breasts, if you'd like. I can talk at length about my boob preferences. As long as the word "scrotal" doesn't appear anywhere in the conversation, it's all good.

EDIT: The one thing I have to say, as a cosplay watcher, is that you don't want to go overboard with it. Li Akahi's Link cosplay is pretty damn good, and it's reliably so. It's not overly elaborate, but it's elaborate enough that it works well. I remember one Otakon where a cosplayer had these ridiculous fully articulated angel wings as part of her costume. It took a lot of effort, clearly, but it definitely stank of "doing too much with it." Keep it good and simple; you'll be more likely to execute it well that way.
    It's still breast-related.
    And that bothers me. Sorry.
  • I once entered a cosplay competition without any prep or prior notice - I was in line chatting to a cosplayer, and the bloke walks up to me and says "Are you here for the cosplay competition?", I reply that of course I am, he asks who I'm meant to be, and I sarcasticly reply "Davan, from something*positive" - because I was just wearing my street clothes, I had my glasses on because I'd run out of contacts, and I was wearing my blue "Spay your catgirl" short-sleeve button-down shirt, with a red and white Name-oval on the front that said "Churba" - people had been commenting all day about it.

Ten minutes later, I get called onto the stage, because while I thought he was talking about people coming to watch, he actually meant competing.

And I came third.
  • edited May 2009
    You all disgust me.

Wecouldhave an-depth conversation about breasts, if you'd like. I can talk at length about my boob preferences. As long as the word "scrotal" doesn't appear anywhere in the conversation, it's all good.

Wait - you weren't just being sarcastic? You really have an actual problem with that? Seriously and for reals?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • What depresses me is how quickly this cosplay thread turned into a conversations about breasts...
    You all disgust me.

Wait - you weren't just being sarcastic? You really have an actual problem with that? Seriously and for reals?
    Well, I learn to deal with it. But yeah, I wasn't being sarcastic. I have a problem with blatant perversion.
    *Gets flame shield.*
    edited May 2009
    But the little boobs are way hot!

To quote Konata: A flat chest is a status symbol.
    Insert Big Boobs cause Epidemics and something image later.
    Otaku girl of Lucky Star fame.
    Insert image of Sailor Moon and Konata age comparison.
    Post edited by ... on
  • TITS! BOOBIES! JUGS! NORKS! HOOTERS! CANS! BAZOOKAS! PUPPIES!

That reminds me, I once photoshopped an appropriate image:

Can't we have a serious debate about body shape? Breast are just a part of the body, you know. If you really want we can have a discussion about the geography of labia... but it doesn't have a lot to do with many cosplay outfits you'd wear to Otakon, etc.
  • Well, I learn to deal with it. But yeah, I wasn't being sarcastic. I have a problem with blatant perversion.
    It isn't an act of sexual deviancy to talk about boobs, dude.
  • Well, I learn to deal with it. But yeah, I wasn't being sarcastic. I have a problem with blatant perversion.
    *Gets flame shield
    Breasts are not perverted! I am trying to get people to not associate breasts with perversion, and to let me mow the lawn without a shirt.

You can still find them a turn on, or aesthetically pleasing, like how I think collarbones are an attractive part of the body. Seriously, though, breasts are to our generation what ankles were to the Victorians. Get over it.
    *Gets flame shield
    Breasts are not perverted! I am trying to get people to not associate breasts with perversion, and to let me mow the lawn without a shirt.

You can still find them a turn on, or aesthetically pleasing, like how I think collarbones are an attractive part of the body. Seriously, though, breasts are to our generation what ankles were to the Victorians. Get over it.
    Well, they're being talked about in a perverted way. I'm not saying mentioning breasts makes you a pervert, nor that this topic has become the height of all perversion. Just that it was turned into a relatively perverted topic.
  • edited May 2009
    How is the way we talked about them perverted? Name one example.

edit: Well, besides me saying the words "way hot." However, if I had said the same thing about her hair, or something, is that still perverted?
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited March 2010
    Poe's Law indeed...

May I ask you this: is it possible to have any conversation about human mammary glands that isn't perverse? Does the subject have to be completely functional, so we can only talk about breast feeding?

Because, if so, female breasts have another function, evolved through hundreds of thousands of years of evolution: making me horny! Guess what's perverse about that? NOTHING! It's 100% human nature. That's why cartoon characters have big eyes and breasts; to make up for the subtle things that make females attractive that are too subtle to draw and animate.

My thing of the day is discovering an old version of my website archived on my hard drive when searching for the puppies image. One day at work I made this:

Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Li Akahi's Link cosplay is pretty damn good
    Thank you very much. I have never actually had anyone say that my costume was good before. This is a very good feeling.
  • To get back on topic a bit, a friend of mine is "suggesting" (in the way, say, Simon "suggested" that the Anti-Spirals fuck off) that I go to Another Anime Con as Shinji Ikari, while she goes as Asuka.
  • To me, they don't have to be exactly the same body type but they have to be really close. Like the 2nd and 3rd Zero Suit Samus pictures.
  • eyes that are three times as large as human eyes
    I know it's old, but I can't help it:Anime contact lenses.
    I bumped into this in a random web search and I felt like I should creep everyone out with it.
  • edited May 2009
    @Lyddi: what is more important than anything else is that you have a character that you are excited to represent. The Major is an awesome choice. She is distinct, recognizable, but not overdone. If you make a good costume, people will love you for it. Have you considered doing her tan uniform? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/57/Motoko_Outfits.JPG

EDIT: For the major, the most important part to get right is the hair. That's what makes her particularly distinct and is often the part with which beginners have the most trouble.

Playing to one's body type is a basic part of all fashion. Though, granted, there are many things in anime that aren't fashionable. I side with the padded bra camp when it comes to cosplay. There are very few women that have the cup size equal to whatever character they are playing.
    Little boobs are fine, but if you're going for accuracy in your costume...
    Ah, but if you are crossplaying they are perfect!

I personally like crossplay. :P
    Here here!
    Post edited by ladyobsolete on
  • @Lyddi: what is more important than anything else is that you have a character that you are excited to represent. The Major is an awesome choice. She is distinct, recognizable, but not overdone. If you make a good costume, people will love you for it. Have you considered doing her tan uniform?http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/57/Motoko_Outfits.JPG
    I did consider that outfit because it's not usually done, and I'm re-watching the whole show now to see if I see any other outfits I like. I think I really want to do the combat outfit though.
    EDIT: For the major, the most important part to get right is the hair. That's what makes her particularly distinct and is often the part with which beginners have the most trouble.
    Her hair is actually what I'm pondering most about. I am considering cutting my hair to match her style as close as I can. The only difficult part is the dying. I have very dark hair, and I refuse to bleach it just so I can get it the right purple. If I can't find a good temporary dye that works on dark hair, then I guess I'm stuck with a wig.
  • There was a girl who crossplayed as a TF2 BLU Spy at ConnectiCon last year. Actually, the TF2 cosplay was surprisingly abundant. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Left 4 Dead Survivors/Infected this year.