This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What PC games should I get?

edited June 2009 in Everything Else
I am getting a new gaming computer for my birthday. So I'm getting back into full PC gaming instead of PC/XBox360 gaming. I wonder if you guys have any suggestions for good PC games (Multilayer and Single player oriented).

Comments

• I am getting a new gaming computer for my birthday. So I'm getting back into full PC gaming instead of PC/XBox360 gaming. I wonder if you guys have any suggestions for good PC games (Multilayer and Single player oriented).
    It depends, what kind of games do you enjoy to play?
  • Damn, I should have mentioned that. I am mostly interested in RTS and FPS. I don't really like RPG's because they take too much time.
  • Left 4 Dead, Natural Selection 2 pre-order, Orange Box.
  • Buy Valve games. It's tough to go wrong there. If you already have them for Xbox, keep in mind that PC controls are superior and that PC allows for much more customization, like map design and skins and such.
  • What games do you have? Obviously you need the entire Valve FPS lineup including, HL1, HL2 and its episodes, Counter-Strike, L4D, and Portal. You can skip TF2. QuakeLive is free.

Nowadays the thing that really sets PC gaming apart from the console are all the quirky indy games that are often free. Though they have their problems, you should spend time investigating things like Dwarf Fortress, Wesnoth, Gravity Bone, etc.
  • Orange Box, Warcraft 3 and expansion, Company of Heroes, Dawn of War, Civ4, Audiosurf, and Plants vs Zombies.
  • I have the orange box, but I barely play it because my computer sucks pretty bad. I mean its bad. Thats why I do usually play games like Wesnoth or older games like Starcraft.

I have only played a little l4d and it looks fun. I am a big zombie scenaria fan in both movies and games. This is the first game focused on zombie survival. So my main question would be. Does it have replay value? Or does it get boring really fast.
  • I have only played a little l4d and it looks fun. I am a big zombie scenaria fan in both movies and games. This is the first game focused on zombie survival. So my main question would be. Does it have replay value? Or does it get boring really fast.
    When I first bought it, I found it fairly simple co-op wise and I got bored fairly quickly. However, recently the FRC forums have been able to get some amazing versus mode games going that have given the game a bit of fresh air for me. As long as you have a group to play with (this forum), it's enjoyable and has significant replay. Furthermore, the SDK has been recently released and expect a bunch of new maps and campaigns to be released in the next few months.
  • Left 4 Dead was designed to have replay value. The game is different every time. It's most fun if you're playing with your friends. The best times I've had playing that game were when all 4 of us were in the same room. Keep in mind that, like Team Fortress 2, Valve is still updating it with new content, including modes and maps.
  • Damn you Rym and Scott! I didn't buy Left 4 Dead after you two predicted there wouldn't be a lot of replay value!
  • Damn you Rym and Scott! I didn't buy Left 4 Dead after you two predicted there wouldn't be a lot of replay value!
    You can still buy it. The price dropped to $40 when the Survival Pack came out. It's definitely worth it.
  • DOTA! ( mod for Warcraft 3 )
    The only problem with that map is that for the first few days as you learn the different characters, items, strategy etc., people will just sit there and cuss at you. All. Game. Long. It gets to the point where it's almost not worth playing.
    The only problem with that map is that for the first few days as you learn the different characters, items, strategy etc., people will just sit there and cuss at you. All. Game. Long. It gets to the point where it's almost not worth playing.
    That's why you need to play with friends!
  • Left 4 Dead is not as good as the internet would have you believe.
    I don't care much for DOTA, but when more than 2/3 of all custom games are DOTA, it infuriates me. Where's my X-hero siege and Cube tower defense and footy wars? Give them back, WCIII community, I loved them so much! :(
  • I don't care much for DOTA, but when more than 2/3 of all custom games are DOTA, it infuriates me. Where's my X-hero siege and Cube tower defense and footy wars? Give them back, WCIII community, I loved them so much! :(
    I know. That game (while it has it's good side, I'm sure) completely destroyed custom game diversity. Besides, it doesn't hold a candle to "Escape from shroom world." xD
  • I don't really like RPG's because they take too much time.
    If you have ANY interest in RPGs at all I would say Fallout 3. I loved the hell out of this game on the 360. If not I must agree with the orange box. TF2 on the computer with all the new maps sounds much better than the no love the 360 version has been getting.

Welcome back to gaming!
  • I'm also getting a new computer soon, except it's most likely going to be a laptop. I'm guessing that there's going to be a huge game quality/speed difference compared to using a regular computer, right? Also, is there any way to close this gap in performance (or at least narrow it) without spending huge amounts of money? :P
  • I'm also getting a new computer soon, except it's most likely going to be a laptop. I'm guessing that there's going to be a huge game quality/speed difference compared to using a regular computer, right? Also, is there any way to close this gap in performance (or at least narrow it) without spending huge amounts of money? :P
    The main problem with gaming on a laptop is that they do not have powerful GPUs. You can play something like WoW or HL1. If you play HL2 or the Orange Box, expect possible slowness. If you want a laptop that has a good GPU, that's something you can pay for. Just be aware that it will cost more money, your laptop will be gigantic and heavy, and battery life will be low.
  • Left 4 Dead is not as good as the internet would have you believe.
    Liar. It's the game I've gotten the most play out of in the past six months. It meets Dave's Gigawing test.
  • Holy shit, if you don't have HL2, Civ 4, and Fallout 3 by the end of this, you're doing it wrong. Beyond that, Red Orchestra, Bioshock, STALKER, Rome: Total War, and Company of Heroes are all some of my favorite games you'd do well to pick up.
  • Am I the only one that greatly prefers Half-Life to Half-Life 2? Get HL: Source if you must, but pretty graphics or not, it's probably the best FPS ever made.
  • Hmm. Though I haven't played either recently, I personally hold HL1 and HL2 at around the same level. I think HL2 comes out on top for me because of the decent, though extremely limited, physics.
  • My favorite Half-Life was actually the demo for HL1. It was all stuff that wasn't in the full game, and it had some really awesome moments. Maybe it was colored by it being my first HL experience, though.
    They have AI maps that you can practice on.