This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Drink and Draw like a Lady

edited June 2009 in Everything Else
So all you of the female persuasion in the city who are comic artists, or comic artist wanna-bes, there is a get together on Friday at 7-10 at Madame X's bar on Houston hosted by Hope Larson. It's a meet up for artists to sketch, talk, and network. I'm definitely going. Anybody else want to?
Linkie-Link

Comments

• That's awesome. I wish I lived in New York. And was a lady.
  • I'll just call in on the cursed springs and be right over.
  • I don't think I've ever had the chance to draw with other female artists. I always wanted to go to a sketch event >.<. thank you Gomi.
  • That's awesome. I wish I lived in New York. And was a lady.
    and had Funfetus's mad art skillz. Or the minimalistic skill to even draw a stick person =/
  • Oh, man. The Drink and Draw Social Club in L.A. is attended by Dave Johnson, LeSean Thomas, and Josh Middleton. I can't go to THAT.

Anyway, it's really cool that there's a women's draw club going on, though I guess it's probably just for MoCCA. The number of female artists in comics and games and whatnot these days is really encouraging.
  • LeSean Thomsas! You should really go to that.
    I guess I've never been the type to encourage my feminism in what I'm doing. That goes for gaming and art. I always see myself as a person before a girl. I used to go to this comic art forum where there was a 'Girls in Comics' category. I never posted in there and really didn't like the idea of separating the girls from the boys. This sketch group thing is different though. I'd go to any sketch group but the fact that it's an all girl event is more of a plus. It seems like it would be more comforting. Could just be me.
  • edited June 2009
    LeSean Thomsas! You should really go to that.
    Yeah, I should. LeSean is one of my favorite artists (I got his artbook at SDCC last year, and he drew an awesome full-page sketch in it!), but MAN -- that's so intimidating. There are a lot of really, really great artists who attend these things. What the hell, you need something to reach for -- I'll go when I get the chance.
    I always see myself as a person before a girl. I used to go to this comic art forum where there was a 'Girls in Comics' category. I never posted in there and really didn't like the idea of separating the girls from the boys. This sketch group thing is different though. I'd go to any sketch group but the fact that it's an all girl event is more of a plus. It seems like it would be more comforting. Could just be me.
    Maybe the "separating the girls from the boys" thing isn't the sort of thing that you need, but I think there are women who do need that. I don't think of it as separating so much as creating a space (virtually or physically) where they can feel encouraged and comfortable. Comics and games have historically been male-dominated, and I think there are still a lot of guys who aren't comfortable having women around, and I'm sure women can feel that. I'm always in favor of doing whatever you can to help people who might feel unwelcome to feel welcome.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Maybe the "separating the girls from the boys" thing isn't the sort of thing that you need, but I think there are women who do need that. I don't think of it as separating so much as creating a space (virtually or physically) where they can feel encouraged and comfortable. Comics and games have historically been male-dominated, and I think there are still a lot of guys who aren't comfortable having women around, and I'm sure women can feel that. I'm always in favor of doing whatever you can to help people who might feel unwelcome to feel welcome.
    I hear that. I also like helping people get on their feet but I also like equality. However, maybe the kiddy pool(that's what that forum felt like) for girls is a necessary step to equality. Some girls would never leave that area and mingle with the rest of the forum. That forum did end up deleting that section. I wonder if they saw a decline in women signing up because that would be unfortunate.
  • However, maybe the kiddy pool(that's what that forum felt like) for girls is a necessary step to equality. Some girls would never leave that area and mingle with the rest of the forum. That forum did end up deleting that section
    Yeah, a "kiddy pool" isn't really the intention, and I think it's probably not in anyone's best interest to keep themselves segregated all the time. But I do think it's nice to have a place where you can go to kinda breathe freely. I think that's a lot more important with a physical space, though. Like, this drink and draw -- I'm sure a lot of women aren't that comfortable going to a bar to hang out with a bunch of dudes they don't know.

On a more cynical note, more women hanging out getting stoked on comics = more comics for girls and women = more girls and women reading comics = bigger audience for comics = more work for me. :)
  • Yeah, a "kiddy pool" isn't really the intention, and I think it's probably not in anyone's best interest to keep themselves segregated all the time. But I do think it's nice to have a place where you can go to kinda breathe freely. I think that's a lot more important with a physical space, though. Like, this drink and draw -- I'm sure a lot of women aren't that comfortable going to a bar to hang out with a bunch of dudes they don't know.
    Exactly! That old forum for girls is the digital version of this meet up. I was just biased I guess.