This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090604 - Levels of Discourse

edited June 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss the perils of pop philosophy and different levels of discourse. Also we are going to the MoCCA Arts Festival is this weekend. In the news, Newsweek calls out Oprah's bullshit.

Scott's Thing - Wayfarer Alpha
Rym's Thing - Hat Trick

Comments

• I'm really glad that many public forums are vocally opposing Oprah's support of this quacky bullshit. It's completely ludicrous that people can go on shows like this and say, "well, they all say it's bad for me, but look how well it works!" Heroine is bad for you too, but it makes you feel really good up front.
  • I like it when the show goes a little highbrow.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm really glad that many public forums are vocally opposing Oprah's support of this quacky bullshit. It's completely ludicrous that people can go on shows like this and say, "well, they all say it's bad for me, but look how well it works!" Heroine is bad for you too, but it makes you feel really good up front.
    I am with you. Oprah has positioned herself as guru, healer, political pundit, arbiter of taste, peddler of (schmaltzy) literature, and the voice of women. It bothers me that she has become such a charlatan. When did her show go from entertainment to life coach ("life coach" being an idea introduced to the masses by Oprah)?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Yeah, this was probably my favorite Geek Nights episode in a while.
  • Whoa, Suzanne Somers is doing low level necromancy.
  • The baffling rise in the number of autism cases has loosely not coincided with an increase in the number of childhood immunizations.
    Ah, always so close...
  • Hey guys, after not listening for a while, I've been going back, picking and choosing podcasts to listen to, based on the names mostly, and picked this one, even though I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

I just want to add my thoughts to the conversation. I take exception to that famous phrase 'the medium is the message'. Since the invention of the printing press, at least once it was used for something besides Bibles, I have no doubt that the medium has affected the presentation and reception of the content they convey, but technology, be it a press, a broadcast, or a blog, is simply a force multiplier. Some tools are better for some jobs than others, and so some messages are better served by certain mediums. However facts are what they are, but can be misrepresented and misinterpreted in any medium.