This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Scribblenauts

13»

Comments

• Tank solves many maps in their entirety.
    As do stealth bombers.
  • What would you guys say this game is a case of? Style over substance or vice-versa? Personally I think it's the former.
  • It's a case of marketing a concept that you know will sell, and then developing said concept the bare minimum possible to facilitate such sales.
  • I'm kind of glad I waited to buy this. I was fairly convinced that it was something I'd have to get, but then I played it for a bit at PAX, and wasn't too impressed with the controls. Then the reviews started coming out with significant doubts on how fun the game actually is. I think I'm going to give it a pass, and hope that my friend at Nintendo will pick it up so I can borrow it.
  • Pros -
    Interesting concept, decent implementation
    Each item is distinct in appearance
    Fun, interesting puzzles with open ended solutions.
    Good level editor
    Often amusing when you take a sideways solution and make it work
    A unique and cool style

Cons-
    Many items are similar in performance, Though this is understandable in some cases.
    Puzzles that require exact items are often not clear, requiring a frustrating game of Hunt-the-right-word
    Some puzzles are ridiculously obtuse, For example, the tornado puzzle.
    Many items are there for the sake of it, rather than being useful
    Some items are unavoidably over-powered, and you tend to rely on them often
    Controls are ludicrously bad, with precision control practically impossible
    Item control - moving things about is often clunky and hard to do precisely
  • I don't know why they don't just let you control Maxwell with the arrows and use the A button to jump and B button to use a tool (if you are holding a tool). That simple modification, if the movement were calibrated properly, would make the game 1000 times better.
  • I don't know why they don't just let you control Maxwell with the arrows and use the A button to jump and B button to use a tool (if you are holding a tool). That simple modification, if the movement were calibrated properly, would make the game 1000 times better.
    I second this. There is no excuse for poor design.
    I second this. There is no excuse for poor design.
    But it's a DS game! We have to use the stylus! There's no fun if you do it the boring way!
  • edited September 2009
    Apparently there is an even better item combo.
    Post edited by Jain7th on
  • I'm glad I heard the bit about Scibblenauts on the Dominion podcast. I completely latched onto the marketing concept and was ready to pick this game up at full price, something I generally try to avoid doing with video game.

Now that I know the game is not nearly as flexible as advertised, I'm going to hold off on picking it up. I might eventually get the game for the novelty factor, but that will probably be in a few months when I can get it used on the cheap.