This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A Clockwork Orange

GeoGeo
edited June 2009 in Movies
I just viddyed A Clockwork Orange, and let me skazat that it was a real horroshow. Anyone with half a mozg should viddy this sinny preferably with some droogs and some moloko (Plus, Plus Vellocet, drencromb, or syntehmesc). Seriously though, what do any of you forumites think of the book or novel? I can't really explain it myself as I have not yet cracked the puzzle that this film has presented to me.

Comments

• Haven't read the book, but the film is fucking brilliant. A bit over the top at times, but brilliant. I thought the "ultraviolence" would be some tame obviously-toned-down gang brawling, but it was actually vicious and rather disturbing.
  • The book is excellent and makes a very important social point.

The movie ruined the entire point of the book.

To whit: the novel has 21 chapters, but there was an edition released with the last chapter omitted. That's the version that the film uses. The 21st chapter makes the entire point of the book. Without it, the message is incomplete.
  • I can't say I've read the book (It's on my ever expanding reading list) But I LOVE the film indeed. Milk laced with amphetamines! This along with 1984 is showing a dystopian Britain that unfortunately is getting far too close to reality.
  • I agree with WhaleShark on this. That last chapter is really pivotal and has an important message that the movie totally forgoes. Not that the movie isn't really good, but all of you who have seen it are doing yourselves a disservice by not reading it too.
  • edited June 2009
    I also agree. The movie is very good, but it makes a different point than the book, because of that 21st chapter. I think I preferred the book, because it's written completely in nadsat, so you slowly realize what's going on as you read it.

Also, goddammit Firefox spellchecker, "movie" is so a word. Really? REALLY? You suck.

UPDATE: Hm. It seems my spellchecker was set to "Albionic."
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I haven't seen or read it, but I usually like when the movies make a different point from the book. It brings merit to both works as separate pieces of art.
  • The book is excellent and makes a very important social point.

To whit: the novel has 21 chapters, but there was an edition released with the last chapter omitted. That's the version that the film uses. The 21st chapter makes theentire pointof the book. Without it, the message is incomplete.
    Actually there is a reason behind that problem. Kubrick consulted the American version of the book without knowing the British version had the last chapter. Burgess himself said that he didn't blame Kubrick for this oversight, more on the American publishers of the book.
  • I saw the movie a few times before reading the book and think the movie is a lot better, however that's a few years ago.

I thought Kubrick omitted the last chapter as it didn't have much to say, besides that he doesn't change.
  • I had to read this in my final year English class, our teacher notified the few of us that were still uninformed that; yes there is a movie version and that we should watch it, however it was impossible for him to screen it for us. He was a fine English teacher and had us watch Memento as the film study.
    The book is excellent and makes a very important social point.

To whit: the novel has 21 chapters, but there was an edition released with the last chapter omitted. That's the version that the film uses. The 21st chapter makes theentire pointof the book. Without it, the message is incomplete.
    I must say the ending in the book does not feel as satisfactory as that of the film. It was as if Burgess made a complete back flip and suggest that someone would just grow out of the "I do what I do because I like to do" mentality and that with age brings awareness of the fine boundary between the personal freedoms of doing anything you want and the freedom from the effects of others actions. It felt tacked on and I can easily see as to why the final chapter was omitted from both the movie and (former) American release of the novel.