This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What extensions do you use?

edited June 2009 in Forum Stuff
Hey, I'm setting up the forum for my company, and we're really leaning toward Vanilla (I guess someone convinced them). I was wondering what extensions you (FRC) use, and what general Vanilla-related tweaks you guys recommend. I guess this could also branch out into a general discussion of forum software, too.

Comments

• Just by the question you are asking you are already going about this the wrong way. You're like those people with iPhones who ask for cool apps to install. Don't do that.

Ask yourself what you need that you don't already have. If you can't think of anything, then don't get anything. You're set. If you think of something you need, go and look for it. If you find it, use it. If you don't find it, make it.

If you just ask for cool extensions, apps, etc. you end up installing a bunch of crap you don't actually need, and you'll only succeed in gumming up the works.
  • edited June 2009
    LOL! I thought this would be a conversation about hair extensions.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited June 2009
    Hmm, you make a good point, Scott.

Specifically, what extensions do you use for the sidebar? The "Who's Online", poll, and filters are really interesting, and I'm not sure exactly which extensions they are.

Also, whatever extension creates the "Whisper your comment to" field, and the formatting bar below that (when creating a new post).
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • LOL! I thought this would be a conversation about hair extensions.
    I thought it was gonna be about Firefox extensions.
  • Mrr. "Category: Forum Stuff" mrr.
  • Mrr. "Category: Forum Stuff" mrr.
    I rarely look at the category.
  • Hmm, you make a good point, Scott.

Specifically, what extensions do you use for the sidebar? The "Who's Online", poll, and filters are really interesting, and I'm not sure exactly which extensions they are.

Also, whatever extension creates the "Whisper your comment to" field, and the formatting bar below that (when creating a new post).
    I don't know which ones they are either. I think they're just called by their obvious names, like "who's online" "polls", etc. The Vanilla website has an excellent add-on search.

Also, not to repeat myself, but don't install what you don't need. Do you need users to see who's online? Why? If you don't have a good answer, you don't need the extension. I highly suggest you just start using it without any extensions whatsoever. Then while you use it, you will become frustrated with something. When that happens, seek out a solution, which might be an extension.