This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

When Companies Do Nice Things for You (even when they didn't have to)

edited June 2009 in Everything Else
I recently made a thread asking for tips on how to paint my HPI Trueno shell for my cosplay at Anime Expo this year. Today, that thread was rendered pretty much moot by a man named Chris Freeman who works at HPI.

I emailed the support address asking if they could send me a sticker sheet for my car because I had ruined the stickers when I took them off the car to paint it. In the email, I mentioned that I was already out of my warranty period. Mr. Freeman emailed me back and said that he would send me a new shell (not just the stickers, but a NEW SHELL) if I would just take some picture and/or video of me and the car at AX. I emailed him back, saying I would, and thanked him excitedly for his generosity.
I was excited already; I would be able to make my RC car look really nice for my cosplay! But then he emailed me again saying that not only would he send me a Trueno shell, but a Levin shell and a body kit (pop up lights, skirts, light buckets, etc) for the Trueno as well! That comes out to around $90 in merchandise!

Mr. Freeman didn't have to do any of this. He could have just emailed me telling that it wouldn't be possible and I would have had to figure out something on my own. This is great customer service, better than I've ever received from ANY other company EVER. It's customer service like this that gets people talking and helps reinforce customer loyalty.

Have any of you ever had a similar experience? I think Scott had a pair of etymodics that they replaced even though it was out of warranty.

Comments

• Anime Expo
    We're meeting up. End of story.
  • I can't remember anything from my own life, but my uncle told me about how he found a really nice, expensive coffemaker at a thrift store, but it was missing an integral part. He called the company to see if he could order a replacement, and they sent him one for free. It may have cost them $5 to send him that part, but they earned a customer for life.
  • Etymotic keeps giving me free replacements on my broken earbuds even though the warranty is over.
  • Etymotic keeps giving me free replacements on my broken earbuds even though the warranty is over.
    Ditto.
    Ditto.
    I really need to write them a letter telling them to make the earbuds more durable.
    Ditto.
    I really need to write them a letter telling them to make the earbuds more durable.
    Did you get the problem with the wiring coming loose?
    Ditto.
    Did you get the problem with the wiring coming loose?
    Yeah. Not that I love Sony, but etymotic really needs to take a hint from the Sony Sport line of products. Durable as all fuck. Actually, Nintendo products are the same way.
  • "We need to plug this hole in the nuclear bunker quickly! Someone, get the Gamecube!"
  • "We need to plug this hole in the nuclear bunker quickly! Someone, get the Gamecube!"
    "We're out of cannonballs for our Civil War Re-enactment! Quick, get some Gamecubes!"
  • We're out of cables to hold up this suspension bridge, get some GameCube controllers!
  • What?! No three little pigs version? You all suck.
  • What?! No three little pigs version? You all suck.
    This little house was made of GameCubes?
  • Quick! We have to stop Eva-00 from rampaging! Get the DSes!
  • I adore Lupine collars and leashes for dogs. They are guaranteed even if chewed. One of our dogs keeps chewing the other dog's collar and we have traded in chewed collars for new ones four times thus far and each time we get a brand new one with no hassle.

While they rarely carry shoes that I like, Clarks shoes have a lifetime guarantee. My Grandmother had a two year old pair of sandals that were starting to fall apart. She called the company and they instructed her to pick out a style that she would like to replace them (as they no longer made that particular style) and to send them the shoes. They sent her a brand new pair and compensated her shipping costs.
  • WAY WAY back in the day, when TSR still owned D&D. Spooky I know. I bought a box set and it was missing a map. I think it was the box for Myth Drannor. I wrote TSR a letter, SPOOKY!, and they sent me back the missing map plus Volo's Guide to the Dales and a Ravenloft adventure.
  • My story isn't as impressive. The extractor fan in one of the toilets in my parent's house stopped working after a few years (the house was new when they bought it in 2004). I took the fan apart to see if I could fix the problem and figured out that one of the components was broken. The builder's warranty had expired already so I contacted the manufacturers of the fan. They told me that the model was discontinued and we would not be able to get a replacement part. What they did instead was send us a brand new replacement one free of charge! Yay free toilet fan!
  • My story isn't as impressive. The extractor fan in one of the toilets in my parent's house stopped working after a few years (the house was new when they bought it in 2004). I took the fan apart to see if I could fix the problem and figured out that one of the components was broken. The builder's warranty had expired already so I contacted the manufacturers of the fan. They told me that the model was discontinued and we would not be able to get a replacement part. What they did instead was send us a brand new replacement one free of charge! Yay free toilet fan!
    I hope you are talking about the exhaust fan in the cieling of the bathroom. If your toilet has a fan in it, that is scary.
    I hope you are talking about the exhaust fan in the cieling of the bathroom. If your toilet has a fan in it, that is scary.
    The fan is there for the shit to hit of course.
  • Oh crap! I've said too much already!
    Hot shit. I managed to lose one of my Etymotic earbud tips, but I know they won't replace them because they sell five-packs for $14.
  • Hot shit. I managed to lose one of my Etymotic earbud tips, but I know they won't replace them because they sell five-packs for $14.
    The tips are supposed to be replaced by the user every so often. I'm talking about the bud itself.