This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

id Software bought out by ZeniMax(Bethesda)

edited June 2009 in Video Games
Like the title says. This is actually really good news and hopefully it means id will start putting out more content down the line.
John Carmack from Kotaku interview"We're really getting kind of tired competing with our own publishers in terms of how our titles will be featured," Carmack said. "And we've really gotten more IPs than we've been able to take advantage of. And working with other companies hasn't been working out as spectacularly as it could. So the idea of actually becoming a publisher and merging Bethesda and ZeniMax on there [is ideal.] It would be hard to imagine a more complementary relationship. They are triple A, top-of-the-line in what they do in the RPGs. And they have no overlap with all the things we do in the FPSes."

Comments

• Seems like a survival choice by id, since no one licenses their engines anymore so they don't have the money coming in to work on a project as long as they used to.
  • Sigh, remember when Bethesda would produce one frustrating but creative game that was full of random content no one cared about (e.g., hundreds of books) every year? They release Oblivion and become an overnight success, and now they seem to be making nothing except generic FPS's (I'm not specifically talking about Fallout, more of this WET and Rogue Warrior trite). As naive as it is to say, I feel like they've blatantly sold out.
  • edited June 2009
    As naive as it is to say, I feel like they've blatantly sold out.
    You're right. It is naive.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • As naive as it is to say, I feel like they've blatantly sold out.
    You're right. It is naive.
    I didn't say that.

Anyway it makes sense for id though to go with someone like Bethesda and not a larger publisher/developer, since they are essentially being made a partner in this case. So they'll still have all the power over their own games, where if they had sold to someone else they would have had likely less say over their properties.