This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime Expo 2009

edited June 2009 in Everything Else
It's coming...

I'm going to be driving back and forth from home and back, but I'm just kinda bummed that I'll have to miss most of the after hours stuff due to my one bummed headlight.
Who else is going? Sail, I know you're going to be there.

Comments

• Yup, yup.
  • Will be flying in from Boston.
  • Hot. Shit. :) The three of us ought to meet someplace. We could bust out an be all awesome.

I've decided to, instead of driving, take the metro express to downtown. Its ALOT cheaper than driving and I'll get there and leave on pretty good times.
    My AE86 car is almost finished! The body is done (Perfectionists take note: I will not do the little lines around the doors and hatch), all I have left is to give the tires a quick spray over with the black and to just polish up everything. Not bad for my first try if I do say so my self. ^_^
  • That's looking pretty sweet. You did a really nice job on that.
  • 'Ey! Sonic dude, them doors won't open.
    (Perfectionists take note: I will not do the little lines around the doors and hatch)
    Pffffffffft, lazy butt. Looks awesome already.
  • Actually, its less about me being lazy and more about me worrying about screwing them up. Also, the doors on this will never open. The shell is made from 2mm thick lexan.
  • Also, the doors on this will never open.
    LIES! You're just not trying hard enough.
    The shell is made from 2mm thick lexan.
    So? Try using a pair of scissors! >:3
  • I will not give up the look and strength of the shell to make barely functional doors. Besides, what would the doors open to? A battery pack or the servo arm for the steering. No way Jose'.
  • So tomorrow is the first day. Do you guys wanna meet someplace? I have to be at the LACC 502 for the AX Idol Auditions, but anytime after or before that I'm good to meet you guys anywhere.
  • I won't be there tomorrow, but I will for the other three days.
  • That's cool. I'm gonna be hanging out with a couple other folks during the con so on fri+sat+sun feel free to gimmie a call and join us!
  • "9 kisses so far... Ohhhh yeeaahhhh."

-Sonic's text message to me a few minutes ago, sans-context.
  • Haha. Well, here's the context. After Sail and his Posse left for the dance at the hotel, I ended up meandering my way towards an active ethernet drop I had found earlier. On my way there, I saw a whole bunch of people sitting on the floor in a big circle, with one person dashing out towards the middle. I decided to get a drink of water and the I headed over there. I found a hole in the edge of the ring and took a seat.

When I sat down, the girl next to me turned to me and said, "If your going to sit here you gotta play."
    "Play what?"
    "Spin the bottle."
    "Wait, you mean like 'Spin the bottle' spin the bottle?"
    "yep"
    I paused to think about it for a minute.

Okay it only took a fraction of a second to decide.
    "Yeah, I'm game."

So for the next hour I was playing spin the bottle with about 15 hot cosplaying chicks and some other dudes. There were a few rules though.
    The most uncomfortable party decides whether to kiss or not.
    No Photos or videos.
    "Wooooo"-ing is encouraged.

There was also the silently acknowledged rule among men that, unless otherwise agreed, there will be the man hug (light embrace, double pat on the back, depart).

By the end of the evening, I was kissed and kissed 11 times.

However, that was only the icing on the cake. Sail and his friends are generally awesome. We watched a bit of Claymore in a video room, and were subsequently threatened to be kicked out because of how vocal we were on how HORRIBLE and HILARIOUS it was, despite it trying to be serious. A few keywords were "Muppet", "Friendship Bracelets", and "Lets Tell Each Other Our Names". We were not alone in these sentiments.

Also, I am apparently a role model for one of Sail's friends. Wtf?

Aaaaanyways, I'll be spending tomorrow with my family. Traffic is going to be hell and the bus schedule is gonna be weird so I cant really get into the city without significant effort. Gonna be going back Sunday, so WATCH OUT!

• Also, I am apparently a role model for one of Sail's friends. Wtf?
    Dude, you played spin the bottle with 15 hot cosplaying chicks. You're MY goddamn role model at this point.
  • Who plays spin the bottle these days?
  • Who plays spin the bottle these days?
    Punk kids at an anime convention where the sexual tension is so thick, you can row a boat on it.
  • That was definitely one of the most fun days at AX I've ever had. Looking forward to hopefully hanging with you again on Sunday, Sonic. Have a fun Fourth in San-whatever!
  • edited July 2009
    Who plays spin the bottle these days?
    Punk kids at an anime convention where the sexual tension is so thick, you can row a boat on it.
    You know, despite there being oodles of scantily clad cosplayers, I didn't feel any sexual tension during the con (even during the spin the bottle). Although it's possible the internet has desensitized me to that sort of thing.

Dude, you played spin the bottle with 15 hot cosplaying chicks. You're MY goddamn role model at this point.
    You know, I think that was the weirdest part of my con experience so far. I don't have a steady job, No girlfriend, I wrecked my car, I don't have good grades, and I live with my parents. Now here's this kid, fresh out of high school, who can do awesome magic tricks and performs said tricks, does competitive martial arts, and he wants me as a role model? I really ain't much of a role model to be had.

Also, It's soooooo weird to be 20 and hear the phrase "I want to be like you when I'm older."
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Nabbed this sick Canti statue today:

I actually haven't known Jeff for very long, but I'd definitely take it as a big compliment. You focus on details of yourself like living with your parents and such, but I think it's more of a nod to how great your personality and attitude are. There's a lot more to being successful than your outward achievements. We were discussing late how much more important it is for the both of us that we love what we're doing in life rather than making money, he as a magician who wants to audition at Magic Castle next year and me as a musician who wants to start an independent record label and transfer to UCSD for audio engineering. We have dreams, as I'm sure you do too, and we recognize that, if all else fails, one can still live a great and happy life.
  • edited July 2009
    So, for whatever reason, Kel Mitchell was at AX today. I participated in an acoustic "We're All Dudes" sing-along and watched Kel drink a can of orange soda.

Suck it, Good Burger haters.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Sorry for not trying to meet up, everyone. Lack of internet + speaking on 4 panels = too busy.

But Anime Expo rocked! It was my first AX, and I definitely recommend it to Rym/Scott. It'll give you guys a new perspective on the "fix anime conventions" rabble.
  • edited July 2009
    Looking at your blog, I almost went to both the Problem with Otaku and Without Watching the Anime panels but didn't. Bummer.

But this was definitely my favorite AX of the four years I've been going. Highlights included a seven-foot tall walking rock, dropping coins from the balcony, laughing at the Claymore dub, hanging out at my friend's artist alley table, singing an a-capella version of the Pokemon theme, Kel Mitchell, running up the "down" escalator, Zelda Mythbusters, and playing "Ninja" in the hall. Sonic has some stories to tell regarding playing music in the hallways and fending off rabid Narutards, but I'll leave that to him. It was definitely a totally bomb con.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Sail, you and I should just get on skype one time and tell all these stories.
  • Sail, you and I should just get on skype one time and tell all these stories.
    Sounds good. By the way, where can I see all the pictures you took?
  • They should be arriving on my flickr album for ax any minute now.
  • I swear on my life that that nickel curved on it's way down. I don't know if there was an air vent or what, but the coin did not fall straight.
  • edited July 2009
    So I've been trying to find pictures of me at AX on the net. I tried looking for an Initial D cosplayer. Nope. I tried looking for the Ninja game. Nope. Then I tried something a little more...Expected. I did a bit of DJing at the con...

You can see me at 0:40 against the pillar holding my laptop.

And you can see Sail in his orange shirt and blue backpack in this next video right at the beginning. I become visible in, literally, the last frame. There are certain songs what Anime con-goers just cant help but dance/sing to. I'm going to make a cd of Otaku mind control music.

More of the dansen I caused. This was after we moved and, unfortunately, I'm hidden behind the crowd of dansen-ers.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited July 2009
    Pokemon singalong
    The crowd that formed in the hallway during that was broken up by security guards because it was a fire hazard. Really, one of my AX 2009 highlights.

One more video:

I'm disappointed I can't find one of the Caramel Dansen Rickroll. It's a miracle that Sonic didn't get beat up.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Man, I completely forgot about that one. You can actually get a much better look at me there as well.
    I'm disappointed I can't find one of the Caramel Dansen Rickroll. It's a miracle that Sonic didn't get beat up.
    I remember how apprehensive I was when your friend put on that song. I thought it would be a cool cross mix between the two, but when it started out as a regular dansen, I knew how it would turn out. I thought I was going to get messed up pretty badly because that crazy Naruto chick was there. They took it surprisingly well and just started singing it.