This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Whoa whoa whoa - Anti-DRM means Anti-Artistic Intent?

edited August 2006 in Everything Else
This is in regards to the latest show (7-31-2006)

You say that information can be lost and destroyed by the people who created it and give George Lucas's attitude towards Star Wars as an example of it. This doesn't come down to DRM, this comes down to artistic intent. If it's the will of the artist to destroy what he has created, that should be his right. Sure, I don't necessary agree with Lucas's choices, but I support his right to make those choices.

You guys make way too many judgment calls on the art community over how it should be governed and run without actively participating in that community. Yet, you're very stern on your position that no one should govern computing and geek culture except for those who are experts on the subject (I submit your opinion on Alaskan Senator Stevens and Net Neutrality for evidence).

I mostly agree with you on your thoughts of DRM, but once that begins to take away the rights of the artist, that's when I have to rise against you.

Comments

• Watch the episode of South Park titled Free Hat.
  • As for my stance on people like Lucas and Spielberg changing their movies. While we may dislike it, nobody should be prevented from creating or remixing art. If you made a movie, and you want to release a different cut, that's well and good. My problem is with people destroying art. Lucas not only modified episodes 4, 5 and 6, but he has made it nearly impossible for future generations to ever see the originals in their full glory. Since all art eventually enters the public domain, even if the current law makes it take too long, destroying art is stealing from the public. So making a walkie talkie remix of E.T. is ok, as long as the original gun mix is not destroyed.

DRM enters the equation because it is basically a remote controlled bomb when attached to works of art. It makes it not only legally, but technologically difficult to remix, edit, or even view works of digital art. Works of art that only exist in DRM'd formats do not have the necessary longevity to make it to the public domain. Nowadays we can watch very old movies and TV shows because people have been able to copy them to DVD. Imagine if 100 years from now people are unable to view the works of art created today without acquiring 100 year old computers and 100 year old software. It's really just a disaster waiting to happen.

So creation is good. Remixing is good. Destruction is bad. Not sharing is bad.
  • It comes down to DRM. If a full DRM system had been in place, then he could have destroyed an existing and known work of art. He has the right to destroy his own copies, or the master copies, but he has no right to destroy the copies of others.

Say I'd bought the original Star Wars on Laserdisc. Legitimately. Then, George has his hissy fit and wants to change it. With DRM, he can alter or destroy my own copy that I purchased legally whenever he wants. Effectively, he could change the movie that I'd already purchased and was sitting in my own home at any time without my consent. I'd have no recourse, and now I'd have spent money on something other than what I now own.

Are you saying that I shouldn't own the copy of a movie I purchase? If a chair manufacturer suddenly decides that his red chairs should actually be green, does he have the right to come into my house and paint them? How is my copy of a movie any different?
  • You guys make way too many judgment calls on the art community over how it should be governed and run without actively participating in that community. Yet, you're very stern on your position that no one should govern computing and geek culture except for those who are experts on the subject.
    Artists can and should govern and run their community. George Lucas can do whatever he wants with his art. If he wanted to make an all-cat version of Star Wars, that's fine. If he wants to be an asshat and destroy his masters, that's also perfectly fine.

But artists SHOULDN'T govern the technology they want to use to enforce their own community rules. Just because they want DRM doesn't mean the technologists should allow them to use this technology. The technology itself is a travesty.
  • I'm not saying that you shouldn't own the copies that you legitimately buy. But George Lucas isn't obligated to make the original versions available for those who are interested. Once a product is bought, then yes, it's yours. I know that's where DRM comes in conflict with, and I'm against it for that reason, but obviously, there's a balance.

For instance, D.W. Griffith changed his masterpiece, "Birth of a Nation," several times after its first release. The cut we have today isn't the original cut at all, and it was Griffith's artistic choice to essentially destroy and recreate his own art. As much as I would love to see the original cut, I must respect the will of the artist.

Vincent van Gogh burned away a lot of his paintings while he was alive for heat. He destroyed a large percentage of his work that, for fans of Gogh, cringe at the mere thought of. But he still had the right to do so.

Just because the technology exists to duplicate something a million times, doesn't mean the artist's right to destroy his own work should be trampled on. Obviously, anything already sold should never be forced to be given back - but things that were once available shouldn't be forced to always be available
  • In the book of Scott, destroying art is second only to destroying life. Even if it's art you created, you should not have a right to completely destroy it. You are free to make whatever business decisions you like. You can make movies and not publish them, even though that's assholish. You can remix your music and only distribute the remixed version. Anything you want to do is ok, except complete destruction. I'm not talking about destroying any one copy. I'm talking about making the work no longer exist. I'm not talking about drawing a doodle and tossing it in the trash, either. I'm only talking about making a work of art that other people actually care about and then taking it away from them.

Less than 100 years from now all current art will theoretically belong to everybody. This is part of the reason why the Library of Congress exists. If you destroy a work of art in a way that prevents it from entering the public domain, then you are essentially stealing from the people of the future. Imagine a person in the future with a painting on the wall. Destroying that painting now I see as identical to breaking into their house in the future and disintegrating the painting. I say disintegrating because it is one hundread years in the future, where they have disintegrating ray guns.

DRM is a technology which makes destruction of digital art the default. That is a crime against humanity. Tragedy of the commons strikes again.
  • RymRym
    edited August 2006
    DRM gives artists the power to destroy art they have ALREADY SOLD to other people at any time.

And legally, once you create something, no matter if you publish it, burn it, or lock it up, it becomes the property of the public after a set time, and is protected by copyright. George Lucas isn't required to keep making the old versions of his films available. I, however, have the full legal right to publish any and all of his works the moment they enter the public domain. Every American citizen has the right to copy infinitely everything any artist has ever done the moment it hits the public domain. Not even legally does an artist have the power or the right to control how his works are used or viewed outside of a limited span of time.

Copyright law as it stands protects both artists and viewers. It ensures that an artist has a limited, timed monopoly on their art, but it also ensures that they will eventually lose all power over that art. If you agree with the protections you enjoy under copyright law, then you have to accept the fact that you will lose all of those protections some day.

An artist's right to be a selfish revisionist disappears at the end of a copyright's term. No matter how he feels, his art can be used in any way by anyone after this point. This is an integral part of copyright law.

An artist has the right to destroy his own copies of his work. Legally, he has no right to in any way interfere with how others will eventually view it, or to destroy existing copies owned by others. They can trade, show, view, and sell those existing copies at will, and once they enter the public domain, they can make copies of those copies forever.

The only way an artist can ever have this power is to never share his art with anyone, and to destroy it before his death. Even then, if someone sneaks into his house and copies it all, those copies become legal and free when the copyright expires.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • RymRym
    edited August 2006
    To sum up the above, artists in the United States NEVER had the right to destroy their own works. They had the right to try, but public domain protections ensured that they could not unless they physically tracked down and legally purchased back every single copy that existed before the work went into the public domain.

There is not and has never been a protection for "artistic intent" in US copyright law.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Haha, your metaphors are getting a little extreme. You're not stealing from the future if you prevent your work from entering the public domain just the same as abortions aren't seen as stealing future leaders of America. Obviously, if the painting never existed for the person to hang on their house, they would have a different painting there, just not a blank space. If the TV was never invented, would people just stare at a blank wall?

I recall a story that was told to me about a number of wax sculptures made by an artist. The intent was that over time, these sculptures would slowly melt until they were completely gone. As soon as the artist died, the sculptures were immediately cast in bronze to preserve them. In this way, public entitlement destroyed all intent of the artist. If the destruction is part of the art, why should that be disallowed? (I know the same kind of thing was done with Degas "Little Dancer of Fourteen Years" but I don't believe the intent was to have it slowly melt)

And while I'm thinking about it - what about art that isn't material? Performance art and plays are gone as soon as they're performed. Are you saying that it is the duty of the public to make sure that there is always a recorded copy of all live art to preserve it? I wasn't alive during Shakespeare's time, so by not having a copy of that performance, has he stolen from future audiences the ability to experience that art of the opening night of Hamlet or MacBeth?
  • edited August 2006
    To sum up the above, artists in the United States NEVER had the right to destroy their own works. They had the right to try, but public domain protections ensured that they could not unless they physically tracked down and legally purchased back every single copy that existed before the work went into the public domain.

There is not and has never been a protection for "artistic intent" in US copyright law.
    I don't care if there ever was. I'm not talking about what's in the law - I'm talking about what should be right. Maybe the law should be changed then. After all, we no longer own the sky above our land, right? ;)
    Post edited by ClassicBri on
  • What's in the law matters a great deal. DRM is essentially a technological enforcement of a law that doesn't exist. Companies that implement DRM are restricting your rights more than the law restricts them. Imagine if all microphones cut off when you said "fuck". You're allowed to say the word fuck in this country, but the people controlling the technology make a "law" restricting your rights further than the government. Who is in charge of making and enforcing laws? The elected government or the makers of technology? Creating new laws in human society through control over technology will eventually lead to a world much like that in the RPG Paranoia. You must be commie scum, die!

And if you want to talk about right and wrong as opposed to legal and illegal, there is no way you are in the right. Is it right to bring joy to millions of people only to take it away? That's like saying it's ok for a clown to punch you in the face. He made you laugh, so he's allowed to take away that joy. I don't think so. A comedian told you a joke, now he's allowed to erase it from your memory. Gimme a break.

All artwork that is created by default belongs to everone. Copyright law allows the creator of that work some rights pertaining to that work for a limited time in order to create incentive and to benefit the common good. It says that, in so many words, right in the constitution of the USA. If destroying a work beloved by all is for the greater good, then fuck all.
  • You talk about right and wrong as opposed to legal and illegal all the time. Which is why I'm confused for why you decided to fall back on the "law."

I'm not saying I support DRM, when did I say that? I'm just saying it's not a black and white, clear cut issue. I'm not going to outright oppose DRM if "artists don't have complete control over their work while they own it" is attached to it. I'm not talking about censorship at all, I'm not even sure how that relates to anything I'm talking about except for you wanting to spin my words into something I never said. Although I do believe in self-censorship and an artist's right to destroy his own work (that he didn't already sell) should be an obvious right of the artist.

I also noticed how I've provided you with examples and arguments and you have chosen to ignore all of them. What's the point in having a debate if you're just going to make up what you want to believe is my side of it?
  • RymRym
    edited August 2006
    So you're basically saying that the public domain should be abolished. Is that correct?

To me, anyone who would be so selfish as to create something wonderful and then deny it to the world arbitrarily is acting contrary to the good of mankind and, in general, is an asshat.

Now, I'm not saying they shouldn't have the ability or right to profit from their works. I'm not saying they shouldn't have the ability to control for a limited time the scope or use of their work. I'm not saying all art should be free to anyone always. I'm not saying that an artist must keep every revision of a script he's working on. I hope and expect that artists will be able to derive sustenance and sometimes profit from their works.

Works that no one cares about or enjoys will be lost and forgotten, as no one will bother to preserve them. Works that are not recorded, written down, filmed, etc... will be lost as the memories of those who experienced them fade. Works that are never published will be lost as no one knows of their existence or value.

But works that are created, distributed, and enjoyed belong to the human race. They transcend the artist and his short life. It is the ultimate hubris to decide that the works you have created shall be denied to all of the future for no other reason than your own pride and ego. Noble men have the duty to preserve these works in any way they can for the benefit of all that will live.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited August 2006
    I'm not saying that public domain should be abolished at all. I'm saying that during the time that an artist owns his work, he should actually be allowed to own it and part of that is his right to destroy it. I'm not saying destroy every single copy, nor am I saying that people who have obtained the work for themselves must forfeit it at feet of its creator.

Take me, for instance, I just recently made a short film. It was publicly aired and seen by quite a few people. Even though I like my short film, if I wanted to, I should be able to take the original negative, and burn it. I should be able to delete all of my render files and everything associated with it because I own all of it. I have no right to do that? I'm not saying I would ever do this, but it should be within my right to do so.
    Works that no one cares about or enjoys will be lost and forgotten, as no one will bother to preserve them. Works that are not recorded, written down, filmed, etc... will be lost as the memories of those who experienced them fade.
    So only the works that are popular deserve to enter the public domain and be preserved? That's like only saving the cute endangered species.
    Post edited by ClassicBri on
  • I also noticed how I've provided you with examples and arguments and you have chosen to ignore all of them. What's the point in having a debate if you're just going to make up what you want to believe is my side of it?
    Your examples all make the same point how we should care about the "intent" of the artist. The only things that exist in a work of art are the work created and the feelings of those who experience it. Your "intent" dies with you, and doesn't, in my opinion, warrant care or respect.
  • I'm not saying destroy every single copy
    If even one copy remains anywhere, then it can and should be preserved in order to enter the public domain.
    So only the works that are popular deserve to enter the public domain and be preserved? That's like only saving the cute endangered species.
    Many things are saved for archival purposes or contemporary perspectives. If truly no one cares about a work, and no one has any interest in preserving it, then there is no reason to waste our energy doing so. Humans create far too much information to preserve all of it. We strive to keep that which is beautiful, that which is informative, that which is insightful, that which is relevant.
  • Yes. Ideally every single thing would be preserved forever. The doodle I made to keep my hands busy this morning should be preserved. Every scrap of film on the cutting room floor should be preserved. However, this is obviously not feasible. Therefore, priority must be given to works that are cared for by more people, are more useful or are more significant.
  • Your examples all make the same point how we should care about the "intent" of the artist. The only things that exist in a work of art are the work created and the feelings of those who experience it. Your "intent" dies with you, and doesn't, in my opinion, warrant care or respect.
    What is art without the intent of the artist? If the intent is to let sculptures slowly melt away, then having perfect versions of them is not the art at all. It's a shadow of what the art is supposed to be. Whether you like it or not, intent is heavily ingrained in every piece of art. Otherwise, why would we ever care about the artist at all? Just label all of the plays of Marlowe under "Anonymous" because it doesn't matter what he thought about his own work.

If the intent of the artist is ignored and outright refused to have any value, then are artists doomed to cater exclusively to the "viewer?"
  • Take me, for instance, I just recently made a short film. It was publicly aired and seen by quite a few people. Even though I like my short film, if I wanted to, I should be able to take the original negative, and burn it. I should be able to delete all of my render files and everything associated with it because I own all of it. I have no right to do that? I'm not saying I would ever do this, but it should be within my right to do so.
    You have the right to do this. If you feel that your work is so irrelevant and miniscule that no one would care about its loss, then go ahead. If the author of a work doesn't feel that his work is worth preserving, then he is under no obligation to do so.

But if another person has a copy of the film, and they feel that it is worth saving, then they have the right and, I would argue, the duty to preserve it.
  • You have the right to do this. If you feel that your work is so irrelevant and miniscule that no one would care about its loss, then go ahead. If the author of a work doesn't feel that his work is worth preserving, then he is under no obligation to do so.

But if another person has a copy of the film, and they feel that it is worth saving, then they have the right and, I would argue, the duty to preserve it.
    This is exactly what I've been saying. Obviously, several people have copies of Star Wars before it was digitally altered through VHS and Laserdisc. But George Lucas is of the right to destroy the original negatives and altar his own work and distribute that very work. When you sell your work, you give up some rights to it - I agree with that. The copies that have been sold can be preserved by the people who own them. And on the same coin, those people should also have the right to not preserve them.
  • What is art without the intent of the artist?
    A novel is still the same regardless of whether or not you know why the author wrote it.
    If the intent is to let sculptures slowly melt away, then having perfect versions of them is not the art at all. It's a shadow of what the art is supposed to be.
    No, it's a shadow of what you think art should be. Art isn't supposed to be anything: it's something we create. There are no rules or measures.
    Whether you like it or not, intent is heavily ingrained in every piece of art. Otherwise, why would we ever care about the artist at all? Just label all of the plays of Marlowe under "Anonymous" because it doesn't matter what he thought about his own work.
    Just how is this intent ingrained? If it isn't apparent in the art, or in other contemporary art (writings by the author or critics, etc...), then how does it still exist?

The Marlowe example is silly. Knowing that Marlowe wrote something allows us to compare his works to others in the same time period, or to eachother. it gives us great perspective. If he wrote also about his own intent, then this itself joins the body of art.

Intent alone does not exist outside of the artist's head, and will disappear when he dies.
    If the intent of the artist is ignored and outright refused to have any value, then are artists doomed to cater exclusively to the "viewer?"
    The viewer is the only person who will ever interpret the piece. The viewer is the one who decides its worth. Long after the artist dies, the viewers are the only people in the world to whom the piece has meaning. We can't ask Homer why he wrote. We can't ask him what his intent was. We can only guess: it no longer exists.
  • But you're saying that intent isn't valued at all which is outright wrong.

Both intent and the art is valued highly by other artists. Especially because it gives great insight for why we make our own work. Learning about why certain art is created and the purpose that it served for the artist is great to reflect on why I make my own work. Intent is highly inspiring for those already inspired by the work.
  • Obviously, several people have copies of Star Wars before it was digitally altered through VHS and Laserdisc. But George Lucas is of the right to destroy the original negatives and altar his own work and distribute that very work. When you sell your work, you give up some rights to it - I agree with that. The copies that have been sold can be preserved by the people who own them.
    More than preserved, they can be copied and re-distributed after entering the public domain. At this point, the versions the viewers care about will flourish, and the artist's intended version will likely die.
    And on the same coin, those people should also have the right to not preserve them.
    They do have that right. But if even one person preserves it, then it will enter the public domain some day, and can then be redistributed.

Also, people have the right to be an asshole. You can yell at people, discriminate against homosexuals and obese people, shout obscenities in public parks, burn crosses and flags, tell embarrassing stories, and all sorts of other mean things. People have the right to destroy art just the same. It's sad, it should be fought, it should be subverted, but it's something people do. I feel that enlightened people strive against such things all the while respecting the rights of other people to do sad, scary, destructive, or dangerous things.
  • Both intent and the art is valued highly by other artists. Especially because it gives great insight for why we make our own work. Learning about why certain art is created and the purpose that it served for the artist is great to reflect on why I make my own work. Intent is highly inspiring for those already inspired by the work.
    And how do you know these intents? If the artist wrote or stated his intent, then you're referring to that work for perspective. If others wrote on his intent, then they're just guessing. If you surmise it based on the work itself, then you're just guessing.

The intent only exists if it is documented, in which case it is art. You cannot know the intent from a work in and of itself.
  • Also, people have the right to be an asshole. You can yell at people, discriminate against homosexuals and obese people, shout obscenities in public parks, burn crosses and flags, tell embarrassing stories, and all sorts of other mean things. People have the right to destroy art just the same. It's sad, it should be fought, it should be subverted, but it's something people do. I feel that enlightened people strive against such things all the while respecting the rights of other people to do sad, scary, destructive, or dangerous things.
    Should we just make it illegal for people to do all those things? Or is freedom about having the choice to do it and letting common sense lead you the rest of the way.

I'm not saying artists should destroy their work and the vast majority do not - but I'm saying they should have the right to.
  • And how do you know these intents? If the artist wrote or stated his intent, then you're referring to that work for perspective. If others wrote on his intent, then they're just guessing. If you surmise it based on the work itself, then you're just guessing.

The intent only exists if it is documented, in which case it is art. You cannot know the intent from a work in and of itself.
    Others writing on the intent and trying to surmise it based on the work itself is proof enough that it is valued. If it wasn't, no one would bother.
  • I'm basically saying that artists who attempt to destroy their works that have already been published are selfish and egotistical, and that the rest of us have the right to preserve these works in any way we can.

Surmised intent is just that: surmised. People can care about intent all they want, but it is not a quantity to be measured. It exists only as other works, or as explanatory portions of the same work. It is not an inherent property of the work itself.
  • Say I make a movie, and I intend that only white people ever see it. Should black people thus be barred from screenings forevermore, for the sake of my intent?
  • Let's say you design a chair. You intend for the chair to be used in the kitchen. Someone buys the chair and uses it as an ottoman. You see how the intent of the artist does not mean anything outside of the artist themselves? In fact, the repurposing of art to do things that the creator did not intend is an art form in and of itself.

Think of making art like building a public bridge. You design the bridge and put in the effort to create the physical bridge. You intend for people to drive across the bridge in cars. But people decide your bridge is better for bungie jumping. Is it ok for you to destroy the bridge? No, no it is not.
  • If you design a bridge or a chair, you have sold it and then can be used for any purpose as they see fit. If you sell a copy of a movie or a print of a painting, same thing. You can't destroy it once you have sold it away - I've said that from the beginning.