This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So Rym got a Palm Pre?

edited June 2009 in Everything Else
I'm guessing he did because he is posting on his Twitter now using the Tweed client. My cousin has a Palm Pre it's pretty sweet.

Comments

• Huh. Interesting. Thoughts on the Palm Pre, Rym? Digging the linux-y-ness?
  • Huh. Interesting. Thoughts on the Palm Pre, Rym? Digging the linux-y-ness?
    Is webos on a Linux kernel? I Hadnt heard that. Android has a linux kernel, though.
  • Is webos on a Linux kernel? I Hadnt heard that. Android has a linux kernel, though.
    Apparently:
    Palm webOS is a smartphone platform, powered by Linux, and developed by Palm
    It makes sense, though; why reinvent the wheel for something like that?
  • Is webos on a Linux kernel? I Hadnt heard that. Android has a linux kernel, though.
    Apparently:
    Palm webOS is a smartphone platform, powered by Linux, and developed by Palm
    It makes sense, though; why reinvent the wheel for something like that?
    Sweet.
  • Digging the linux-y-ness?
    Are any of the linux-y parts exposed? I've been dying to get my hands on one to try it out; now we have a man in the trenches. >:)
  • Are any of the linux-y parts exposed? I've been dying to get my hands on one to try it out; now we have a man in the trenches. >:)
    From what I saw, it didn't look like any linuxy parts were exposed. There's no way to say, open a shell. However, if you read posts on Engadget, there has been a lot of hacking going down. Apparently there was some way to get it to boot off the USB and such. I think I remember reading that a recent firmware blocked some of the hackings, though.
  • I got to play with the Pre last evening when Rym was over for supper.
    ...It's hot. I want.
    I really like the interface. The keyboard is tiny, though.
  • I think the thing about these smart phones is that even though there are tons of apps, most people just want this one list of features. It seems like all of the winning phones cover that list. Also, it seems that even though phones have lots of apps, the apps from third parties are used far less often, and are not nearly as slick as the native apps.

From what I've seen of the Pre already, I think I would get it if I were buying a phone today. The reason is that it has all the features I'm looking for built-in as native apps. For example, on my IPhone I'm still waiting for Meebo to make an app so I can have proper instant messaging. Meanwhile. The Pre has great IM built in that even integrates with SMS. Why is there no iChat for iPhone? Major oversight by Apple, but I'm willing to bet it's in the works.

Also, the Pre's calendar, e-mail, contacts, etc. appears to have perfect integration with Google's apps, even our Google's Apps for your Domain(GAFYD). The iPhone does not integrate with these services very well at all. The thing is, let's say I didn't use GAFYD. Let's say that I was a Mobile Me user instead of a Google person. In that case, the phones are pretty much equal in terms of features.

Really, I don't think this will be much of a problem. The phones are going to keep adding features, and I don't foresee any one getting way ahead of any other. What I do foresee is perpetual frustration amongst early adopters. Phone contracts are two years, but new phones are coming out on a much faster schedule. This makes it impossibly difficult and expensive for people to keep up with the latest and greatest.

Normally that's not a big deal in other areas. Desktop computers can last someone 5+ years without needing upgrades, so why do phones need to be upgraded more than once a year? It's because the technology is advancing so rapidly that there are huge differences from generation to generation. A desktop from a year ago is just a little bit slower than a desktop of today, but has about the same feature set. A phone from a year ago is a joke compared to a phone of today.
  • I am very happy that the Pre exists and seems to be doing well. Android so far has been a disappointment; but I think that will change with HTC doing some work with the software. The biggest problem with the iPhone is that Apple left untapped potential. I think that it did so intentionally so that in future revisions (as we have seen) they can keep up with/ahead of the pack with software upgrades. With a some real competition I think that we will see the smart phone market accelerate in features until every phone has all of the features that we are looking for (good instant messaging, google/cloud integration, open development).
  • A phone from a year ago is a joke compared to a phone of today.
    Depends on where you live and what type of technology is accessible to the consumer. From personal experience I'm still using a phone which is 18months old, it can do everything that my housemate's iPhone can do plus some.
    The HTC phones kick ass as far as features go. I think the equivalent of my phone in the US Is the Tilt? I bought it when I was in the UK, it's known as the HTC TyTn II everywhere else around the world.

Unfortunately the User Interface is Windows Mobile which definitely is very annoying to use without 3rd party apps applied to the interace.