This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Do First Kisses Matter?

edited July 2009 in Everything Else
So I told a story in the Anime Expo 2009 forum about how I stumbled across a game of spin the bottle and ended up receiving 11 or so kisses within the span of an hour or so. The first kiss in that lot was my first "real" kiss. I honestly didn't think much of it really other than to note that she said "wow" afterwards. When I told my sister the same story (sans the "wow"), her reaction was "I can't believe you wasted your "first" kiss."

Wasted? It's as if the first kiss was some sort of valuable commodity and the rest were just "meh".
It seems to me that pop culture had put too much value on the "first kiss". Why? In all the situations in movies and TV shows and Anime, where the character gets their first kiss, isn't the lead up to that kiss full of emotion or drama? Isn't the feelings behind it that make that kiss special? In which case, does it matter if it's your first or your 200th? What is more important, the physical uniqueness or the emotional uniqueness? Or even a blend of the two?

Discuss.

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I thought they were only a plot device.
    I suppose, as a symbol of committing to your first serious relationship, they can be somewhat nice to look back on but, that's about it. Nothing to get too worried about.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited July 2009
    To be fair, if she said Wow, And you enjoyed it, I would hardly call it wasted - after all, this is real life, not a mills and boon novel, pregnant with purple prose and sordid scenes of nigh on unbearable romance.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Honestly, what the fuck does it matter? Your first is your first and it's rarely your best (that goes for a lot of things). You'll remember your first, you'll remember your best, and other than that it doesn't really matter. It's a spur of the moment thing, and if one expects all their first things to be spectacular, they'll be sorely disappointed. Besides, doing it wrong is half the fun of first times.
  • And so the first legend of Sonic "Hot Chick-Superkiss-Magnet" was born. His "first" "real" kiss wow'd a woman, his second made her faint, his third has not yet ended.
    Airquotes are stupid. Your mom gave you your first kiss.
  • When Nineless says something is stupid, does that just mean he has acknowledged it's existence?
  • Airquotes are stupid. Your mom gave you your first kiss.
    To be fair to the lad, it's assumed that he meant with someone other than his mother.
    When Nineless says something is stupid, does that just mean he has acknowledged it's existence?
    I swear to god, I'm going to beat you both to death with a double ended sex toy.
  • When Nineless says something is stupid, does that just mean he has acknowledged it's existence?
    I swear to god, I'm going to beat you both to death with a double ended sex toy.
    I'm just trying to point out how much of a dick he makes himself sound like before he messes up and really regrets it.
  • I swear to god, I'm going to beat you both to death with a double ended sex toy.
    Eeeeeeh... <_< ... >_> ...
    When Nineless says something is stupid, does that just mean he has acknowledged it's existence?
    Yes. You exist. *runs*
  • So anyhow, I would like to admit now, that my first kiss was in a spin the bottle game, and you know they were not thrilled to have to kiss me (before I did it :-p). However later in College when the real kissing started to happen I was asked by someone who had kissed a lot of people before me :-p How I had gotten so good at kissing. (even though other that had been my first time "actually" kissing someone for reals). So you know what, your first kiss seldom matters or says anything about your future endeavors and on top of that very few high school relationships survive college. (though you might end up going out with a high school person later) Your first Kiss, just like prom and losing your virginity is vastly overrated ;-p
  • edited July 2009
    I have yet to receive mine, so my feelings are kinda ehhhhhhhh.
    However, I do feel the idea of a kiss in general is important. I think it should be marked as a milestone. You may consider it as being wasted if it's not some super-romantic crap that would last a few weeks anyway, but I feel that a first kiss will simply be important as it marks a certain new level of maturity you reach that two people can make that decision. See, for a regular adult, a kiss isn't a big deal. But, to little kids, a kiss is some big deal, with cooties and all that nonsense. Therefore, reaching a time where you have your first kiss is sort of a stepping stone into being an adult.
    I dunno...
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Not only you got a great story out of it but the girl said 'Wow'. Wow means 'Damn you are hot kisser!' I don't think this first kiss is wasted. When you have a girlfriend you really care about and kiss her for the first time you might consider that the real kiss.

I remember having mine in a pool at 11 with a boy I barely knew who was younger than me. I retrospect not really amazing but then I was ecstatic.
  • I honestly didn't think much of it really other than to note that she said "wow" afterwards.
    Ask her out. Well, if you like her, that is.
  • Over your life, you'll have a bunch of first kisses. Approximately one per girlfriend/boyfriend, if I'm doing my math right.
  • No, it doesn't matter. Unless you want it to. Same with your "first time". All of these things only have the importance that you give them.
  • I can't remember my first kiss. I know it was in 6th grade with Patrick, but I don't remember the first time we kissed. He ended up being my best friend in high school and he also discovered he was gay. My first kiss doesn't matter to me now, but I know I thought it was neat at the time.
    To be fair to the lad, it's assumed that he meant with someone other than his mother.
    Who do you think you are, Alex DeLarge?
  • It's not a problem. If you vomit while kissing a person, any kiss you had with them before is automatically voided out. This is a proven fact. Now because you had 11 or so kisses, voiding that first one out makes the next kiss the first by default. This complicates the matter but the solution is still the same. Get to it, my boy.
  • Okay, so I'm not the only one that doesn't buy into that whole First Kiss thing. Yay!
  • but I feel that a first kiss will simply be important as it marks a certain new level of maturity you reach that two people can make that decision.
    I think you vastly overrate you're first kiss, it really isn't any proof of you being mature... I know of many examples that even prove the opposite.

The first kiss you ever had doesn't matter, but often times the first kiss you have in any given relationship does. That IS a mile stone. ;)
  • One word: mononucleosis.
  • but I feel that a first kiss will simply be important as it marks a certain new level of maturity you reach that two people can make that decision.
    I think you vastly overrate you're first kiss, it really isn't any proof of you being mature... I know of many examples that even prove the opposite.

The first kiss you ever had doesn't matter, but often times the first kiss you have in any given relationship does. That IS a mile stone. ;)
    That's kinda what I meant. Having a mature kiss that means something. Not just some crappy spin the bottle kiss. That can be ignored.
    No offense to anyone who has important spin the bottle kisses, I just think it's a dumb game, really.
    One word: mononucleosis.
    Good point.
  • I think my first kiss was in first or second grade. I was a straight up mac, right up until fourth grade. Then I had a kissing dry spell till high school.

In retrospect I think it is one of those childhood/adolescent things that seems like a big deal at the time, but looking back at it now, it isn't really a big deal. Kinda like losing my first tooth, or finding out that Santa isn't real.
  • edited July 2009
    And so the first legend of Sonic "Hot Chick-Superkiss-Magnet" was born. His "first" "real" kiss wow'd a woman, his second made her faint, his third has not yet ended.

Jump to 2m 20s

I started watching this series about, oooh, 6 years ago? I only got up to episode 3 and I doubt I'll ever see past it. It's not a very popular show.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • And so the first legend of Sonic "Hot Chick-Superkiss-Magnet" was born. His "first" "real" kiss wow'd a woman, his second made her faint, his third has not yet ended.

Jump to 2m 20s

I started watching this series about, oooh, 6 years ago? I only got up to episode 3 and I doubt I'll ever see past it. It's not a very popular show.
    That was my first harem show, so it holds a special place in my heart. Much like how Scott loves all of initial d even though it is utter drivel after the first few episodes.
  • That was my first harem show, so it holds a special place in my heart. Much like how Scott loves all of initial d even though it is utter drivel after the first few episodes.
    But DNA2 is not your typical harem show and existed long before they became a extremely stale genre. The main character is not so good for nothing "I want to be smacked around by girls" He's the MEGA PLAYBOY :-p You definitely want to watch the whole orginal series because it's pretty funny. Just skip the later OVAs (where they go all super power fighting for some reason)
    Who do you think you are, Alex DeLarge?
    I'll Peel you like a goddamned apple for seconds, boyo.
  • I'll Peel you like a goddamned apple for seconds, boyo.
    WHAT?! One does not peel apples. One peels oranges.
    I peel apples, what of it?
    I peel apples, what of it?
    If I ate apples, I would peel them. That skin's kinda gross.
    edited July 2009
    If I ate apples, I would peel them. That skin's kinda gross.
    I think I know why you don't eat apples. If you would, you wouldn't peel them. You throw away the core when you've eaten the rest also, don't you? Wuss! Wuss I say!
    Post edited by ... on