This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

On Rym's NTP obsession...

Comments

• I'm working with that protocol, actually. It just isn't useful to most people, and there's a lot of marketing BS around it. The referenced article, however, is pretty thin.
  • So I never have to document this shit for anyone ever again.

NTP 101
  • There is a 0.00001% chance I will ever need to use this, but I'm still reading this because I am a huge fucking nerd and actually find it interesting.
  • Rym said:

So I never have to document this shit for anyone ever again.

NTP 101

But how do I get this to work on all my windows machines?
  • Rym said:

NTP 101

Right click on the clock. Then Adjust date/time -> Internet Time -> Change Settings -> Synchronize with an Internet time server.
  • So in somewhat related news one of the guys that I board game with just released a document on time programming/.
  • Coldguy said:

one of the guys that I board game with

Wait, that ESR?
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

NTP 101

Right click on the clock. Then Adjust date/time -> Internet Time -> Change Settings -> Synchronize with an Internet time server.
    That doesn't use NTP: it uses some Windows bullshit.

It's probably good enough. If you fuck with Windows' own time stuff, you can break your kerberos auth to AD.

• If you REALLY want to do this with Windows, only run NTP on your AD domain controllers. The client Windows PCs will all sync to them.

This is the only NTP implementation on Windows of which I'm aware or have ever used that worked:
    http://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm
  • Is the Windows own time stuff going to be so far off of NTP that it matters? By default Windows gets time from time.windows.com, but all the other choices in the pulldown are *.nist.gov" which I presume are NTP servers. I think you an also just type in any old server name you want in there.
  • Starfox said:

Wait, that ESR?

It is. To my surprise, he's local to me and Coldguy and he plays Power Grid.
  • pence said:

Starfox said:

Wait, that ESR?

It is. To my surprise, he's local to me and Coldguy and he plays Power Grid.
    Wow, that dude hasn't been important since Slashdot days.
  • Is there an advantage of NTP over "some Windows bullshit"?
    Coldguy said:

So in somewhat related news one of the guys that I board game with just released a document on time programming/.

Tell him to update the darn Jargon File. It's been 11 years! :P
  • Uh oh, Rym:

"A remote attacker can send a carefully crafted packet that can overflow a stack buffer and potentially allow malicious code to be executed with the privilege level of the ntpd process."
  • Yeap.

The Linux distros are way behind on NTP versions too.
  • NTP how to, this is coming from @pence and my gaming buddy who is currently repairing the protocol as we speak.
  • It appears new NTP is in beta now go and read about it.