This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

District 9

124»

Comments

• Saw it last night; loved it. There was one thing that bothered me:
    MNU was a private company, right? So how does a private company have the right to imprison a man? It was all over the news when Wilkus "escaped" -- I guess that was probably just due to the story about his contagious alien STDs, which makes sense. But they're allowed to send a private mercenary team after him? And have a fucking war in the middle of District 9? Which is being covered on the news, but with no indication of police or military getting involved. Also, this isn't really a criticism about the movie, but Wilkus was really kind of an unsympathetic douche until his sudden change of heart when the mercs were going to kill Christopher. He didn't seem to care much for Christopher's safety before that. What's up with that?
  • edited August 2009
    Well, it was a last minute decision to go see the movie. We were going to a drive-in, and I could either see that, or G.I. Joe. I had no internet, as we were camping, and so had no time to check for information about either of them. I chose District 9 because it sounded better, and I believe that it was.
    Don't see G.I. Joe. It's one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.

@Funfetus: I think that has a lot to do with MNU having such strong ties to the government. Afterall, they were hired by the government to carry out this operation and it can be inferred, since MNU is a weapons manufacture, that they sell a lot of their merchandise to the government. So, when the government needs mercenaries, they hire MNU. Or, so I infer.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Well, it was a last minute decision to go see the movie. We were going to a drive-in, and I could either see that, or G.I. Joe. I had no internet, as we were camping, and so had no time to check for information about either of them. I chose District 9 because it sounded better, and I believe that it was.
    Don't see G.I. Joe. It's one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.
    One of my friends saw G.I. Joe instead, and he talked over and over about how it was incredible action, filled with great stunts. But, his opinion has failed me before. It has succeeded as well, but far fewer times than it has failed.
  • @Funfetus: I think that has a lot to do with MNU having such strong ties to the government. Afterall, they were hired by the government to carry out this operation and it can be inferred, since MNU is a weapons manufacture, that they sell a lot of their merchandise to the government. Or, so I infer.Actually, I forgot to mention that there was a kinda clue to that -- the guy who was awaiting trial for exposing MNU's illegal secrets. What?
  • Don't see G.I. Joe. It's one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.
    It has a Wayans. What did you expect?
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2009
    I just got back from seeing this movie, and goddamn...that was one of the better sci-fi films I've seen in quite some time. Very powerful and very intense, plus it also has a lot of commentary about human life and how capable we are of being sadistic, psychopathic monsters towards people or things that are different from us. One thing that interested me a bit was only somewhat touched upon in the film, but I feel it deserves a small mention as I feel it is an aspect that makes the "prawns" more human than they already are portrayed to be. The fact that they eat cat food is, in my mind at least, a reference to drug abuse. Think about it, you've got these extraterrestrial beings living in a polluted and filthy slum, and more often than not in settings like those there is some kind of level of drug abuse or drug addiction present. What else can I say that hasn't been said already in this one thread, needless to say it struck a chord with me not just as a moviegoer, but as a human being as well.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • To be completely honest I didn't see the cat food as a drug allusion. It was rated fucking R, they had everything else that was "bad" under the sun...why eschew real drugs (well, obviously they'd be fake for the movie, but you get what I mean) and have fucking cat food of all things represent drugs?

I thought it was just a type of food that they really enjoyed...
  • Don't see G.I. Joe. It's one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.
    It has a Wayans. What did you expect?
    Actually Wayans was the only good thing about that movie.
  • To be completely honest I didn't see the cat food as a drug allusion. It was rated fucking R, they had everything else that was "bad" under the sun...why eschew real drugs (well, obviously they'd be fake for the movie, but you get what I mean) and have fucking cat food of all things represent drugs?

I thought it was just a type of food that they really enjoyed...
    Combined with your earlier comments, this shows you didn't really understand the movie, or weren't paying attention. Of course cat food was a drug to them. It couldn't have been made any more clear. The aliens become addicted to it, they bliss out after eating it, and they'll do almost anything to get more. It's a drug for them. Did you know aspirin is toxic to cats? Foods that are mundane to one species can be psychotropic or even lethal to another.
  • Actually Wayans was the only good thing about that movie.
    lol whut? I honestly didn't like Duke or Ripcord in the movie at all. Their characters were boring.

Did you not like Snake Eyes in the movie?
  • Actually Wayans was the only good thing about that movie.
    lol whut? I honestly didn't like Duke or Ripcord in the movie at all. Their characters were boring.

Did you not like Snake Eyes in the movie?
    Okay I did, but Wayans wasn't all that bad, he wasn't dressed up as a fat white woman and did make me giggle a little. He gets a lot of flack for less reason than others. I thought the whole Scarlett and Ripcord side story was fun.

Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow had the "cool" factor, especially the umpteenth flashback when you had them as kids fighting.
  • I thought the whole Scarlett and Ripcord side story was fun.
    I absolutely loathed that part in the film. It was unnecessary and campy. I think they put way too much romance in the movie. If they kept out any of the romance in the movie, I would have enjoyed it a lot more.
  • I thought the whole Scarlett and Ripcord side story was fun.
    I absolutely loathed that part in the film. It was unnecessary and campy. I think they put way too much romance in the movie. If they kept out any of the romance in the movie, I would have enjoyed it a lot more.
    I'm just going to give up and say by my subjective opinion GI Joe was crap and not worth discussing, to me it was a live action version of Team America: World Police, however that movie actually knew it was supposed to be a comedy.
  • So, guys...District 9? ;)
  • So, guys...District 9? ;)
    It was awesome and I want a sequel but the movie does not need it.
  • edited August 2009
    So, guys...District 9? ;)
    It was awesome and I want a sequel but the movie does not need it.
    I think a sequel would counter the point of the film. The fact that atrocities continue without resolution is a major aspect of the films message and not knowing how the Aliens will retaliate/save their brethren keeps them in a position of weakness that makes them seem like victims instead of retroactively justifying the human violence with a war.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Making a District 9 sequel would be like making a Watchmen sequel. I want it for the action and I want it because I love the first work, so more would be better, right? But in reality, I know that a sequel would suck and destroy the point of the original.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2009
    @Dkong: I suggest you stop talking about the movie, go see it again, but this time pay extremely close attention to what is going on in the movie and try and discover what the movie is trying to say, then you can go back and say whatever you want with (hopefully) a new, more intelligent and unshallow view of the movie.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited August 2009
    @Dkong: I suggest you stop talking about the movie, go see it again, but this time pay extremely close attention to what is going on in the movie and try and discover what the movie is trying to say, then you can go back and say whatever you want with (hopefully) a new, more intelligent and unshallow view of the movie.
    I think Dkong's concerns are valid. There are some major plot holes and if he can't get past those issues, then he can't. To call his points invalid is to deny that the film ignored those issues to focus on the situation at hand rather than how that situation came to be. If a person can't accept the premise as plausible, suspend that amount of disbelief, or needs to know the hows and whys of a plot, then this isn't the movie for them and that taste choice is equally as valid as those that can accept the situation without knowing the how or why. To call his analysis shallow is to assume that he did not understand what the film was attempting to be. There is little in his text that indicates that he didn't understand the film's aim. Instead, he seems to indicate that these holes distracted from his ability to focus on the aim of the film. While I did not feel the need to see the hows and whys of the situation and accepted a lot as given/taken for granted because it was an alternate/fantastic situation, he could not or did not.
    Dkong, if I am putting words or sentiments into your mouth that you do not agree with, please correct me. My inferences are based on my understanding of your review and may be completely off base.
  • The most impressive piece of technology in that movie to me was that stolen cell phone battery.
  • edited August 2009
    Dkong, if I am putting words or sentiments into your mouth that you do not agree with, please correct me. My inferences are based on my understanding of your review and may be completely off base.
    Nope, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I appreciate your post.

The plot holes and lack of explanation aren't the only things that bothered me, however. I still thought that "the point" of the film was quite basic and simple. It really didn't make people think. It just shoved the point down the audience's throat, which is not something an adult oriented movie should be doing (it's acceptable for children's films, though). Then finally, as I said, the movie turned into a Michael Bay-esque explosions and shootout fest. If all 3 of those problems were solved, then I'd like D9 a lot more.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited August 2009
    The plot holes and lack of explanation aren't the only things that bothered me, however. I still thought that "the point" of the film was quite basic and simple. It really didn't make people think. It just shoved the point down the audience's throat, which is not something an adult oriented movie should be doing (it's acceptable for children's films, though). Then finally, as I said, the movie turned into a Michael Bay-esque explosions and shootout fest. If all 3 of those problems were solved, then I'd like D9 a lot more.
    I don't think this film "shoved" a single message down anyones throat. While the core themes and "messages" of the film are interrelated, I don't think there is only one message unless someone is intentionally (and possibly wrongly) reducing the issues addressed in the film (mob mentality, poverty, the drive for violence, varying types of control and the difference between control and power, redemption, freedom, personal responsibility, etc.) This film wasn't any more or less heavy handed than Schindler's List or any film that deals with the issues of holocaust and deep, obvious injustice at the hands of violent oppressors.
  • It just shoved the point down the audience's throat, which is not something an adult oriented movie should be doing (it's acceptable for children's films, though). Then finally, as I said, the movie turned into a Michael Bay-esque explosions and shootout fest. If all 3 of those problems were solved, then I'd like D9 a lot more.
    However Michael Bay makes movies which actually are childen's toy advertisment and you can't follow the action whatsoever because the camera seems to constantly be orbiting. Bay's films get caught up in being how cool they are and not concentrating on the story, plot and themes - very unlike District 9.

I agree with Mrs. MacRoss, that a single message was not shoved down anyone's throat. The core themes were very well networked through various scenes and character developments through the film. If all you end up seeing is alien shootouts and mechs doing cool things, then yes - the interpretation could be likened more to a Michael Bay film.
  • JayJay
    edited September 2009
    Far better than seeing her horrified at some of the shit that goes down in D9.
    But isn't it one of those movies that horrifies you in a deep and meaningful way? My mom and many of the people here said it disturbed them, but they really liked it. I don't like gore for gore's sake, but I tend to really like the aesthetic of Sci-Fi movies like this one.

Edit: However, if she is not a SciFi fan, or is squeamish, UP is a really good movie. Go see it!
    She is squeamish and easily depressed so I decided to leave things be with UP instead. UP, great movie. The cone of shame had me laughing for a bit.

I did see District 9, with friends instead of the GF, and it was well worth it. I think everythingimage that needs to be said about the deeper meanings of the movie has been posted. So I would like to relive some of the more light hearted moments that occurred with my group of friends during the movie. These arn't really spoilers but just in case:

Ohh shit, it's Alien MacGyver *scene where Christopher makes the improvised alien explosive*
    Ohh shit, MacGyvering is genetic *scene where Christopher's kid hacks into the mother ship and the alien robot armor*
    Did that man just fire a pig? Swine! My one and only weakness. *scene where Wikus fires a pig while using the mech suit*

Also, at the end, with Christopher re iterating his promise of 3 years, and then hugging his child as they got pulled into the mother ship. That made me tear up a little.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • A coworker of mine just saw this last night, and it broke her pretty hard. She's looking at pictures of puppies to try to cheer up, and it's not working.

I'm not sure how much longer it's going to be running, so I highly recommend that anyone who hasn't seen it yet should go out and see it soon.
  • A coworker of mine just saw this last night, and it broke her pretty hard. She's looking at pictures of puppies to try to cheer up, and it's not working.
    Tell her to do something nice for someone less fortunate than her.
    In the face of man's inhumanity to man the only solution is to become the solution yourself.