This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tokyo Travel Tips

edited August 2009 in Everything Else
I'm looking to travel to Tokyo Japan next month and some of the travel information available (in books and on the internet) isn't as complete as I'd like so I figured I'd ask this group if anyone has traveled or lived there and has some advice on getting around, day trips, public transportation, food or suggested areas to stay while I'm there.

We're really interested in just seeing the city though we debated going to Kyoto to see more historical stuff. We don't speak Japanese very well (in spite of hours and hours of anime). One of my main concerns is getting lost as while I can read a map I'm afraid I wouldn't recognize the proper Kanji if my life depended on it.

Thanks for your tips! It's just me and my wife and our main fare while traveling is museums, historical landmarks, shopping, and total cultural immersion so we aren't afraid to try something new as long as we're prepared.

Comments

• I'll make you a list of places I think the tourist in Tokyo should go.
    Kyoto is very tourist friendly. You can buy plenty of English maps of both Tokyo and Kyoto. I've only spent a little time in Kyoto, but I'd definitely say it's worth it.
    Thank you so much!
  • The public transport in Tokyo is pretty good. The train system is signed in Japanese and English so it's not hard finding your stop. Buses are a bit less foreigner friendly, but you don't need them to get around.

As for things to see, Asakusa shrine, Meiji-jingu and Yasukuni shrine are quite interesting. The latter has an interesting military history museum as well. A good view of the city is from the Metropolitan Government Buildings, much better than Tokyo Tower, and cheaper. Akihabara should be on the list of places to go, as there are tons of technology and anime/manga shops there.
    Kyoto is very tourist friendly. You can buy plenty of English maps of both Tokyo and Kyoto. I've only spent a little time in Kyoto, but I'd definitely say it's worth it.
    I'm also going to Tokyo next month so if you could send me that list as well that would be awesome.
  • Kyoto is excellent and I highly recommend it. If you don't speak Japanese, you can get around the city very easily. Maps/signs are frequently in English, and the bus system -- which travels EVERYWHERE -- has announcements in both languages. I lived there for four months, and I still like it better than Tokyo, but both have their merits.