This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Firewall & Security Tools

edited August 2006 in Technology
Recently i have been getting a little paranoid about computer security, mostly due to the fact 3 people have been fined by IRMA (Irish Recorded Music Association) in my town in the last few weeks. I never download from bit*cough* ;), i use "PeerGuardian 2" to help with the protection. I'm using a very dated version of Sygate Personal firewall, and i need to find a decent one to replace it. Unfortunately Sygate was acquired by Symantec, who i consider evil and won't use any of their products. Basically I'm looking for advice on a free firewall and any other cool security tools i should have on my windows computer. Also is Limewire less safe then Bittorrent? Just curious. Cheers

Comments

• As far as firewalls are concerned, as long has you have Service Pack 2 and use the Windows Firewall, you're fine and don't really need anything else. But if you insist, you could try Zone Alarm. For spyware, I reccommend using Ad-Aware Personal for scanning and Spybot S&D for active protection. For viruses, use AntiVir Personal.

Or you could use Linux. Or Mac OS X.