This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Play my Lovely Games

edited August 2009 in Video Games
I've started on a project in which I plan to create some sort of game/tech demo every two weeks using the Love2d game engine. These experiments will be known as My Lovely Games. The goal is not to create extremely polished material, but to just get stuff done as quick as possible (as I find this is the best way to get anything done).

Lovely Squares
This first one is my first venture into using love and lua. It was made in about two days and taught me a lot on the basics of love and using the physics engine. Navigate your blue cursor to like colored boxes to score points. Stay away from the pink boxes as they reset your score and position.
Download
Instructions
Unzip the file and run LovelySquares.exe

Comments

• Nice. My old-man-nearly-30 reflexes meant that for the 2 minutes I played it the best score I could get was around 500, but there is something compelling about the game. It's quite frustratingly difficult, yet the frustration is mitigated by the instant restart. Well done, young man! Moar plz.
  • Pretty cool stuff. I'm excited to see what else you come up with.
  • Very fun and addicting. Got to about 1100 or so. Good times.
    Hope the rest of your games are as simple and fun as this one.
  • Very cool. What is the music that plays along with it?
  • Very cool. What is the music that plays along with it?
    Loney Star (Light Mix) by 2Inventions
  • edited August 2009
    Very fun and addicting. Got to about 1100 or so. Good times.
    Only 1,100? After a couple minutes I managed to get over to 5,000, and then lost when I was distracted by something. It's easy if you just hang out in the lower right corner.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I'll give it a try when I'm back in windows but, is it anything like this game?
  • I'll give it a try when I'm back in windows but, is it anything likethis game?
    Yeah, I think that's the point.
  • So this is the sort of thing where you do little experiments and projects to learn about how this thing works, and eventually move on to bigger projects, right?
  • I'll give it a try when I'm back in windows but, is it anything likethis game?
    Technically you should be able to play the exe in Linux if you download love. From a terminal type love LovelySquares.exe
    So this is the sort of thing where you do little experiments and projects to learn about how this thing works, and eventually move on to bigger projects, right?
    That's the plan at least.
  • edited August 2009
    Nice tech demo. What Adrew said works fine.
    I've lost most of my GameFactory games from back in the day but I doubt I'd post them if I found the CD I burned them too.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Though it is just a tech demo, the lack of a high score system brings it down a bit. Also, why does the game give you an extra 1 point when you reach 100 points? Does it happen elsewhere?

I got somewhat over 7000 points, though I'll give it a couple more tries because I've set a specific goal.
  • edited August 2009
    Though it is just a tech demo, the lack of a high score system brings it down a bit.
    Eh, maybe I'll add it in the future along with some other improvements.
    Also, why does the game give you an extra 1 point when you reach 100 points?
    That's just a math artifact from debugging. Again, not too worried about how polished it is, just that I got it done.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I've lost most of my GameFactory games from back in the day but I doubt I'd post them if I found the CD I burned them too.
    I have those too. I should dig some up.
  • There, 9381 points before I intentionally killed myself.
  • DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE.

First off, fun game. Downside, no mouse sensitivity setting + touchpad = lol fail. Also, the square keeps resetting to the middle of the stage upon touching a pink box, add to that the background being flippy, switching between black and white constantly (using Ubuntu and "love LovelySquares.exe"), makes this game disastrously hard and disorienting. /woeisNine.

But yeah, been a while since I had such a drug trip. It would also be nice to keep track of seconds survived since the last hit.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE, fun game.