This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NaNoWriMo 2009

Comments

• edited October 2009
    I understand that. But I'm going to try anyways, because the idea is stuck in my head, and it won't leave until I probably crash and burn. I understand you're trying to help, but the truth is, people really do have to make mistakes on their own in order to understand things. Just knowing that something could be and probably will be a mistake doesn't stop the mind.
    Go for it. Yeah, it's a pretty cliche story. I thought so when I first read your post, but I didn't bother to say anything, because so what? You're very young, this is a short project and, as you said, you haven't ever finished writing anything. The point here is to get experience under your belt. Very few people are going to look when they're 30 or 40 or 50 at stuff they did when they were 17 and think it was great work. But they can be satisfied that it was something they had to go through to get where they are now.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I understand that. But I'm going to try anyways, because the idea is stuck in my head, and it won't leave until I probably crash and burn. I understand you're trying to help, but the truth is, people really do have to make mistakes on their own in order to understand things. Just knowing that something could be and probably will be a mistake doesn't stop the mind.
    Go for it. Yeah, it's a pretty cliche story. I thought so when I first read your post, but I didn't bother to say anything, because so what? You're very young, this is a short project and, as you said, you haven't ever finished writing anything. The point here is to get experience under your belt. Very few people are going to look when they're 30 or 40 or 50 at stuff they did when they were 17 and think it was great work But they can be satisfied that it was something they had to go through to get where they are now.
    Precisely. Couldn't have said it better myself, and I didn't. There you go.
  • I'm all for writing what you want to write, but don't you think it would be way more fun writing something completely new? Just, something really out there? I mean, really, write the mutant story if you want to, but aren't you afraid you'll get bored writing something so (seemingly) derivative?
  • I'm all for writing what you want to write, but don't you think it would be way more fun writing something completely new? Just, something really out there? I mean, really, write the mutant story if you want to, but aren't you afraid you'll get bored writing something so (seemingly) derivative?
    I dunno. I like the idea, and it entertains me. I like X-Men and stories like it, so I'm having fun thinking of this story.
    None of my new and original ideas are ever as fleshed out as this one. They're always lacking in something. This idea has a solid beginning, middle, and end in mind already, which is something very few of my ideas have ever had, at least without me changing it. I might change my mind by November, but I think I'll stick with this idea and flesh it out further.
  • This idea has a solid beginning, middle, and end in mind already, which is something very few of my ideas have ever had,
    I think this is an important point. You know where you're going, which means that you're more likely to get there. This can be your opportunity to struggle with all the things to do with actually hammering out a whole story. You can work on your developing-original-ideas skills another time. I believe very strongly that when you're learning, it's helpful to break it down into manageable chunks rather than trying to learn everything at once.
  • Hey, whatever gets you to 50K fastest. The idea of NaNoWriMo is not to produce new and original material that will light the world on fire. It's to crank out a whole bunch of words in a short span of time that have at least some semblance of a coherent narrative - just to prove to yourself that you can. It even says right in the FAQ for the event that you should expect to be churning out a lot of crap. Whether that's technical or narrative crap, it doesn't say, but I assume it means both.

Like Funfetus already said, it's okay to go with a derivative premise for your first longer form fiction project, especially since you're definitely not aiming to get published. That will make it easier for you to determine a natural path for the story to take and a sensical ending to arrive at. Think of it like using training wheels - the well-worn story tropes will hold you up and show you what it feels like to write a long story without fear of falling over. Once you know what that feels like, you can more confidently write something more original on your next attempt.
  • Pretty much, yes. Thank you for the support.
  • I am looking forward to reading everyone's literary efforts.
  • Except mine, because it's cliché.
  • edited October 2009
    Except mine, because it's cliché.
    Not necessarily. Some works can have an entertainment value that has nothing to do with quality. ^_~
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Except mine, because it's cliché.
    Not necessarily. Some works can have an entertainment value that has nothing to do with quality. ^_~
    I was just joking because of all of the comments on what I had posted earlier, but thanks. I hope my story is at least entertaining, or well-written.
  • @Axel: I was joking, too!
    I totally missed the joke in that post, wow.
    Hopefully my story won't be so bad that it's entertaining.
    Oh, I thought the winky face would convey it. I am sorry!
    Oh, I thought the winky face would convey it. I am sorry!
    No, no, it's not your fault. I totally didn't read into that. Rereading your post it was pretty obvious.
  • Has anybody here heard of the Dell Award for science fiction and fantasy writing? One of my professors sent a link to me today, and I thought the people in this thread might be interested. I would enter for the moneyz, but I'm not much of a writer.
  • NaNoWriMo is just three days away! I'm pretty much set now, and have loads and loads of notes on what I want to write. In fact, I have about 12,000 words of notes. This time I've tried to get everything I need for every stage of the story decided beforehand. For anyone who hasn't got all the steps of their novel worked out just yet, there's still time. If it's your first go, I recommend checking out the Snowflake Method. Even if you don't write any of the actual story for the first few days, it's well worth planning it out, and the actual writing will come far, far quicker and easier.

And, if you are thinking "but planning so much takes all the fun out of the actual writing"... it's not true! I had a go at an opening chapter last night (one I know will be cut from the final story anyway, and won't count against the NaNoWriMo rules) and it is just as fun as ever. You'll have a list of things for the chapter like: in this I need to set up X, need to convey X information, need to show this side of X's character, and the dramatic tension in this scene comes from X. Actually getting those things from the list onto the page is a challenge, but it is a bite-sized, 1,500 word challenge and the daunting 50,000 word challenge if all you know is "by the end of the NOVEL I want to get to X."

Good luck everyone!
  • Yes! I am so stoked to start. Really hoping that I can keep focused and not waste a bunch of time surfing the net.

I do also agree that planning ahead of time actually makes writing easier and more fun since you don't spend as much time thinking about what should come next. I don't have a lot in the way of notes, since I'm using a story idea that I've been building up in my head for five years or so now. Just a few pages for an outline, plus names and terms so that way I can stay consistent on them.

First flake - "Guy's ex-lover gets revenge by killing his current lover, leading him on a path of destruction."
  • I might try this year... maybe I'll do a silly but epic Kalevala style thing.
  • edited October 2009
    So, uhh, I didn't even get close to finishing last year. (Damn you, World of Warcraft expansion!) But this year, I am stoked! Still working on some planning, but I definitely have more to start with than my previous attempt. Gonna do it... gonna make it... I'm counting on all you forumites to bully me - and each other - onwards. If you want to friend me, here is my profile.

Story concept: In a fictionalized 16th century Italy, giant merchant houses, mercenary companies, and the nobility vie for power with the monarchy. A young heir to one of these merchant houses embarks upon his father's task to prove himself worthy of his inheritance. Along with his bodyguard, he will be embroiled in a circle of intrigue, espionage, and murder that will shake the capital to its core...

Edit: For Theknoxinator -
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • Yeah, I've still hardly got anything. Over the next two days I'll probably jam out a single paragraph describing the underlying concepts I want to write about and maybe a character outline. After that I'll take it mainly by the seat of my pants, working out the full extent of the story over the first week and having the time of my life like every other year. Wish me luck!
  • I've decided to do a different idea that I've fleshed out, which has nothing to do with Luke telling me I should come up with a new idea. I don't want to explain it at the moment, but I've got the majority of the plot worked out. I think I'm gonna get a larger than expected chunk done on Sunday, probably spend a good many hours on it. I know that there will be many days during the week and such when things get out of hand, so I'm gonna give myself large buffer zones on the weekends.
  • I think I want to do this. I have a idea.

The story is about a boy who was raised in this cult. They've been feeding him this story since birth that he's the messiah of the world. Eventually due to illegal stuff the cult has been doing they finally get shut down. The child is then taken into child services and the story follows him into adulthood. He still thinks he's a powerful Jesus figure while everyone wants him to see the reality that he's not. He tends to do crazy things and is very self absorbed. He has one friend that tries to help him. He's for the most part a bum.
  • In my time zone NaNoWriMo starts in 4 hours, so after my show tonight, and after midnight, I plan to get some writing in! And I have a sea day tomorrow, so plenty of time on my hands. I think I could get well ahead on this one. Later in the month I've got 7 sea days in a row (crossing the Atlantic is such a drag) so I'm going to hit the target easily.
  • For NaNoWriMo, I am going to be writing the story of the comic I am trying to get off the ground. The story deals with the growth of a group of friends through many varying levels of catastrophes and changes leading to an event that will change the course of their lives and their reality.
  • I just realized about an hour ago that this had started, so I guess I'm going to jump in a day behind and do this. I've always wanted to write something, might as well try it now.

The only problem I'm having right now is that I can't come up with a good topic to save my life. Here are two that I've gone through so far, maybe writing them down will help with new ones.
    • The government (or someone) develops a way to grow living brains and use them as supercomputers. This story could be fun because of the moral issues.
    • World where when you die, you are reborn in a copy of the world instead of in heaven. The stupid/bad people are the ones who die young, and it happens over and over until they no longer desire to live, or they are phased out. This all came about as a form of evolution as a species. We created infinite parallel universes that the dead move to, therefore, as the stupid/ignorant phase out, we are bettered as a species.
  • You guys have great ideas for situations and worlds and concepts and themes to explore. However, I see very few stories! It's very easy to make an interesting story: have a character, set up their situation, give them trouble, have them try to get out of trouble, give them a bit more trouble, then have them work something out and be able to get out of trouble. Just that simple structure will focus rambling ideas into a basic plot, something to aim towards by the end of your novel.
  • My story is of a mid-level officer in a space navy who is assigned to lead a diplomatic mission to an enigmatic alien race. When he arrives at the meeting place, the aliens turn out to be far less alien than imagined, and they bear a warning about a common threat. The officer must then race back to his people in time to effectively warn them. Will he make it back in time? What is the nature of the threat? Do they have enough time to make a difference?

I know it's not original, but I thought I'd just plow through and finish one novel, and worry about making something great next time.

Approx. 650 words done so far.
  • Story concept: In a fictionalized 16th century Italy, giant merchant houses, mercenary companies, and the nobility vie for power with the monarchy. A young heir to one of these merchant houses embarks upon his father's task to prove himself worthy of his inheritance. Along with his bodyguard, he will be embroiled in a circle of intrigue, espionage, and murder that will shake the capital to its core...
    Hey, UglyFred, if I start that scanlation group for Lega 13, will you help with the editing? I think that manga is so up your alley!
  • You guys have great ideas for situations and worlds and concepts and themes to explore. However, I see very few stories! It's very easy to make an interesting story: have a character, set up their situation, give them trouble, have them try to get out of trouble, give them a bit more trouble, then have them work something out and be able to get out of trouble. Just that simple structure will focus rambling ideas into a basic plot, something to aim towards by the end of your novel.
    I think that's because, at least in my creative process, I have to come up with ideas and themes and decide on one before I come up with a character/situation.