This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Setting up Audio Equipment

edited August 2006 in Everything Else
So I have a microphone and an amp, and they're working, but I'm wanting to know how to hook it up to my pc. Of course, I connected the mic to the amp, and then proceeded to connect the headphone jack on the amp to the mic jack on my computer. The quality I got was crap, so I'm wondering if I have to buy some kind of usb connection instead.

Comments

• This is a good question, that I've been meaning to ask. What exactly is geeknights recorded with? I'm in the planning stages for my own podcast, and I'm wondering how to make it sound good. It's important to me that the audio quality, while not necessarially studio quality (In fact, for my idea it would work better with some grainyness), be decent and listenable. Can you give us a shopping list? Perhaps some guidelines? Thanks!
  • Please Rym and Scott, give us your audio recording guidance.
  • I don't know a whole lot about audio and computers but if you're connecting the amp to a mic input like you said then you should definitely get a USB interface to get a line level input. On the other hand if you're still planning on selling your current laptop and buying a MacBook then you don't have to worry about that: the MacBooks have a combined optical/analog line level input built in already. Nice if you're using a digital mixer to get a perfect signal into your computer to work with.
  • Come on, guys, it's right on the home page! About GeekNights.
  • Oh, snap! I just got pwned. I swear I've read twice and NOT seen the bit about the actual equipment. My bad for skimming text, I guess.