This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hi, we're ADV and we're leaving the Stonecutters to form the No Shojitz Club.

edited September 2009 in Everything Else
AD Vision, the parent company of ADV Films, confirms that all of ADV's licenses and other property is being sold off.

Now, here's something that confuses me: ADV's dead, but all their stuff is sold off to another company that's made up of ADV employees that were fired when ADV shut down, so is this really a shutdown, or just a debt dodge?

Comments

• edited September 2009
    More importantly, will Chris Orr still be able to provide Fast Karate with such classics as Venus Versus Virus?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • More importantly, will Chris Orr still be able to provide Fast Karate with such classics as Venus Versus Virus?
  • Go anime industry, way to fail!
  • More importantly, will Chris Orr still be able to provide Fast Karate with such classics as Venus Versus Virus?
    Dave Riley was actually online when I posted that, and he got off before providing an answer.

In case he happens to read this thread, I'd just like to share some info: Back-episodes of Fast Karate got me through a nine hour plane ride home from Spain, and I was in high spirits on my arrival at O'Hare despite numerous fuck-ups along the way, and being seated literally in the middle of a group of mothers with screaming children. The riff about Entemann's Donut Water and the Shit Just Got Real button had me almost pissing my pants and laughing aloud, disrupting huge groups who were trying to enjoy the in-flight movie ("X-Men Origins: Wolverine"). I didn't even mind having to call a locksmith when the plane touched down because our keys got left in a faraway land.

Fast Karate, and by extension, Chris Orr, made this happiness possible.
  • Fucking shit, the industry is falling apart.
  • Fucking shit, the industry is falling apart.
    This is nothing new, but this is the first I've heard of something actually happening because of their shitty, moronic, and dumbass business sense.
  • I just heard about this while buying animecastle's last Yotsuba&! copy. Lucky me.
  • I just heard about this while buying animecastle's last Yotsuba&! copy. Lucky me.
    Indeed...you lucky bastard.
    Yen Press has Yotsuba&! now, and the first six volumes should theoretically be available from them this month with volumes 7+ to come in the future.
    Yen Press has Yotsuba&! now, and the first six volumes should theoretically be available from them this month with volumes 7+ to come in the future.
    I'm aware of that. I just know that up till now, getting Yotsuba&! has been an enormous bitch, and I haven't seen any releases from Yen Press. I don't care who's releasing it, as long as I don't have to trek to Shangri la and back to get it from now on.

@Yupa: For future reference, I'm a girl. In case you were making the wrong assumption.
  • Chris McDonald clears some things up. No matter what though ADV as a brand is done.
  • Chris McDonald clears some things up.No matter what though ADV as a brand is done.
    Yeah, I just saw this. I had an inkling it was something like that.
  • Now, here's something that confuses me: ADV's dead, but all their stuff is sold off to another company that's made up of ADV employees that were fired when ADV shut down, so is this really a shutdown, or just a debt dodge?
    That is how most companies do it when they shut down. They close the existing entity and open a smaller, leaner entity aimed at selling off existing assets to maximize profits made from those sell-offs (via a reduction in taxes, not needing to pay the previous entity's debtors, etc.)
  • edited September 2009
    Fucking shit, the industry is falling apart.
    And nothing of value was lost.

Seriously, until companies start realizing that $30 DVDs and $10-13 manga is highway robbery, I will continue to pirate and not support the industry (although I'm saying this with a shelf full of manga and DVDs...but those were all bought on sale only. Probably only 10% were bought at MSRP).

A few years ago we had a Japanese exchange teacher come to our school for a month. When he saw the prices on the back of the manga books some kids brought in, he was shocked. He said manga is dirt cheap in Japan. And as it should be, they're 180-200pg paperbooks for fucks sake.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Also, since so much manga and anime is delayed to begin with, why aren't they releasing the books/DVDs with any regularity or selling the entire series or groups of books/DVDs with any kind of discounted price?
    I am willing to pay a bit more for a particularly nice printing of an amazing manga, but the trashy manga cheaply printed should sell for half of what it goes for now.
    Also, why aren't they marketing manga books and magazines to elementary schools through a Scholastic-like program? It seems like an obvious market that is simply missed.
  • Also, why aren't they marketing manga books and magazines to elementary schools through a Scholastic-like program? It seems like an obvious market that is simply missed.
    When I was a kid, you could usually get a Shonen Jump subscription through Scholastic book orders.
  • Also, why aren't they marketing manga books and magazines to elementary schools through a Scholastic-like program? It seems like an obvious market that is simply missed.
    When I was a kid, you could usually get a Shonen Jump subscription through Scholastic book orders.
    Yes, you can still do that. And more and more Manga is being offered in Scholastic Book Clubs. But it's basically always Naruto, Dragonball Z, or Yu-Gi-Oh. Or whatever other shonen/shonenesque show they can find.
    Yes, you can still do that. And more and more Manga is being offered in Scholastic Book Clubs. But it's basically always Naruto, Dragonball Z, or Yu-Gi-Oh. Or whatever other shonen/shonenesque show they can find.
    Those youngens can at least handle Golgo 13. MAYBE MPD Psycho.
  • Yes, but even selling manga that we look down on, it is still opening up the market for greater consumer interest in manga in general.
  • Also, since so much manga and anime is delayed to begin with, why aren't they releasing the books/DVDs with any regularity or selling the entire series or groups of books/DVDs with any kind of discounted price?
    Uh, due to translation time?
  • edited September 2009
    Also, since so much manga and anime is delayed to begin with, why aren't they releasing the books/DVDs with any regularity or selling the entire series or groups of books/DVDs with any kind of discounted price?
    Uh, due to translation time?
    I am saying, since they are already delayed DUE TO TRANSLATION and waiting to be picked up, you would think that companies could hold onto the volumes a bit longer and even out the flow/distribution rather than spottily letting things out.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on