This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Silly Putty?

edited September 2009 in Everything Else
I need a brick and mortar store that sells silly putty. I don't have time to buy it online or make it myself. Need it today for something.

Comments

• Go to your local grocery store, they will probably have it.
  • Thanks, hopefully that'll work for me.
  • Why don't we discuss the various uses of Silly Putty and what we have done with it at one time or another, cause there is no way people haven't played with Silly Putty at least once in your life.
  • I actually need it to take an imprint of the casting numbers on the engine block of my camaro. They're down under the cylinder heads and it's very difficult to see them while the engine is in the car. With that information I intend to discover my engine displacement and type of camshaft (roller or flat tappet).
  • Most toy stores have it.
  • Wal-Mart. I got some Silly Putty there at one point in the past year, just for kicks and giggles.
  • I haven't played with that in years. I loved it, but I was more of a play doh gal.
  • Cracker Barrel has it.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    The putty I used quite often was the therapeutic kind where it actually challenged you because when I was small I had a muscle deficiency that was not self-induced so I went to a clinic every 2 weeks of a month for about 5 years and use putty that was pretty hard to break. I remember the weakest was tan and it was literally weaker than wet noodles. Towards the end when I had grown stronger muscles I was tested to use black putty and it was amazingly hard to break. If I had to compare it to something it was almost as strong as a brick. I want to be more realistic but I cannot find anything else to compare to it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I haven't played with that in years. I loved it, but I was more of a play doh gal.
    Oh my, Viga. I think we may have problems.
  • The putty I used quite often was the therapeutic kind where it actually challenged you because when I was small I had a muscle deficiency that was not self-induced so I went to a clinic every 2 weeks of a month for about 5 years and use putty that was pretty hard to break. I remember the weakest wastanand it was literally weaker than wet noodles. Towards the end when I had grown stronger muscles I was tested to useblackputty and it was amazingly hard to break. If I had to compare it to something it was almost as strong as a brick. I want to be more realistic but I cannot find anything else to compare to it.
    Try professional wax clay for sculptors, you have to heat it up to be able to work with it.
    Oh my, Viga. I think we may have problems.
    I played with neither Playdoh nor Silly putty. Actually, only a few months ago was the first time I played with legos... <.< Perhaps that's why I'm so entranced by them...
  • edited September 2009
    What did you do as a child then, Sonic? Did you have a Jacob's Ladder or a set of Hangman's Bones? Did you have a hoop and a stick with which to roll it downhill? How about Punch and Judy dolls? A Pieman's Reel? Shock-Headed Peter? The Bremen Town Musicians? Spring-Heeled Jack? Brownies?

When I was a child, I had a counterfeit Owl, who, through a system of cunning and divers artifice, could turn his head as though he were quickened. I was only allowed to play with him in secret as most of the elders thought such artifice was heresy or that the owl itself was a graven image.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited September 2009
    I have no idea what those things are, except the hoop and stick and Punch and Judy.
    When I was a child, I had a countefeit Owl, who, through a system of cunning and divers artifice, could turn his head as though he were quickened. I wasn't allowed to play with him much as most of the elders thought such artifice was heresy or that the owl itself was a graven image.
    Oh mans, "divers". Very nice. However, "countefeit" isn't right, is it?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited September 2009
    @HungryJoe: We keep telling you. Not everyone here was born in the eighteen-hundreds. One day, you might find someone who you can relate to about your childhood.

@Sonic: If you could sue your parents for malpractice, you would probably have a pretty solid case.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    @Hungryjoe -- awesome.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited September 2009
    IHowever, "countefeit" isn't right, is it?
    Have you never seen a counterfeit presentment, or been told by a maid that your Whitsun Morris dance was a counterfeit of her beau's? When an artificer holds a mirror to nature, do we not say that he makes a counterfeit?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • My point was that "diverse" without an "e" on the end is awesome, whereas "counterfeit" without an "r" is just a misspelling.
    Have you never ... been told by a maid that your Whitsun Morris dance was a counterfeit of her beau's?
    Nay, I have never had the displeasure of such an experience.
  • My point was that "diverse" without an "e" on the end is awesome, whereas "counterfeit" without an "r" is just a misspelling.
    The combination of typing on a telephone keypad, using a telephone screen to read what you've written, and having sketchy eyesight to begin with sometimes produces embarrassing results. Sorry.
  • edited September 2009
    I would've let it slide, but because of the style of the post, I thought it was possible the spelling of "countefeit" might be correct in some way. No worries.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • @ HJ, you have never been sexier to me.

I am with Viga. I preferred play doh. Not only was it a great toy and art supply, but if you got hungry it made a nice salty snack. ^_^
  • Actually, only a few months ago was the first time I played with Lego's... <.< Perhaps that's why I'm so entranced by them...</p>
    What?! Your childhood sounds like one partially wasted. But better late than never. *pulls out crates of Lego's*
  • @ HJ, you have never been sexier to me.

I am with Viga. I preferred play doh. Not only was it a great toy and art supply, but if you got hungry it made a nice salty snack. ^_^
    I like how it smells. It smells like childhood.
  • What did you do as a child then, Sonic? Did you have a Jacob's Ladder or a set of Hangman's Bones? Did you have a hoop and a stick with which to roll it downhill? How about Punch and Judy dolls? A Pieman's Reel? Shock-Headed Peter? The Bremen Town Musicians? Spring-Heeled Jack? Brownies?
    I usually played with computers, my sega genesis, k-k-k-knex (heh), RC cars, Rode my bike around a lot, read book, old electronics parts which I usually fashioned into some sort of weapon (CD gun, noteably), and, yes, I had a jacobs ladder at one point.
    Actually, only a few months ago was the first time I played with Lego's... <.< Perhaps that's why I'm so entranced by them...</p>
    What?! Your childhood sounds like one partially wasted. But better late than never. *pulls out crates of Lego's*
    I wouldn't say it was wasted. Having knex instead of legos gave me an early understanding of gear ratios, pulley and belt systems, and basic mechanics. I remember I once built a monster truck out of knex that after you crank it, it would keep going for a while because I had taped some small weights to the crank shaft.

But Legos are different, and they are good in their own way. My little brother can't really build anything out of knex, but he loves building things with legos.
  • knex instead of legos
    Did anyone else have Construx? They always seemed like the red-headed stepchild of the building-toy market.
  • knex instead of legos
    Did anyone else haveConstrux? They always seemed like the red-headed stepchild of the building-toy market.
    How about Ramagon?
  • knex instead of legos
    Did anyone else haveConstrux? They always seemed like the red-headed stepchild of the building-toy market.
    How about Ramagon?
    I know not of either of these.
  • How about Ramagon?
    Wow. Not even a Wikipedia article on those. You beat me on childhood-building-toy obscurity!
  • I still have Construx with the engines and pulleys.