This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Getting My Hair Bleached

edited September 2009 in Everything Else
I've been knocking this idea around in my head for a while now, but I'd like to get some feedback and opinions before I actually go ahead and do it.

There is a genetic predisposition on my mothers side for the men in my family to have our hair go white at an early age. My grand fathers hair was completely white by his 45th birthday. My uncle is 45 now, and his hair is also completely white. I am 19 years old, and there is already a noticeable amount of white hairs amongst my near jet black hair. Many people, including some FRC forumites, have expressed a level of interest in a silver haired Sonic.

Is bleaching my hair a good idea? My hair usually grows back fairly quickly, so there seems to be little risk in doing it. Are there any ill effects cause by bleaching?

Pictures of my hair's current state soon to come.

Comments

• Doesn't bleaching your hair (too much) cause thinning/balding? Anyways, sounds like you're trying to live up to your name.
  • Anyways, sounds like you're trying to live up to your name.
    That would be the case if I was going to bleach it then dye it blue. I just want to try my hair being white.
  • Bleaching incorrectly can cause some damage to your hair. Also a case of dryness. If you're going to do it go to a hairdresser. I seen some horrible home jobs in my days working in hair care.
  • If you're going to do it go to a hairdresser.
    Yeah, of course. This is the first time I've ever done something like this, so I'm certainly not going to do it myself.
  • That would be the case if I was going to bleach it then dye it blue.
    I did that for years.

As far as I know, you're only risking the actual hair that's already out of your head. Bleaching definitely damages it -- repeated bleachings will make it brittle as straw. But what the hell, hair grows back. Go for it.

Just don't ever try to use a chemical straightener on hair you've already bleached. I did that once, and my hair literally melted.
  • edited September 2009
    Embrace the grey. Be the grey.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Embrace the grey. Be the grey.
    Or just don't grey, or bald.
  • I've got a fair number of gray hairs myself, and to be honest, I like 'em. And y'know what? So do the ladies.

Go gray and be proud.
  • I've got a fair number of gray hairs myself, and to be honest, I like 'em. And y'know what? So do the ladies.

Go gray and be proud.
    NO! Don't resign to your fate, FIGHT! You have the power in you, defy your genes, go bald instead!
  • I am 19 years old, and there is already a noticeable amount of white hairs amongst my near jet black hair. Many people, including some FRC forumites, have expressed a level of interest in a silver haired Sonic.

Is bleaching my hair a good idea? My hair usually grows back fairly quickly, so there seems to be little risk in doing it. Are there any ill effects cause by bleaching?
    If you want silver, bleaching may not be the best way. If you don't mind or prefer being white haired, then go for it.

Go gray and be proud.
    NO! Don't resign to your fate, FIGHT! You have the power in you, defy your genes, go bald instead!
    Do you have gray hairs? I'm getting the impression that what you are protesting happened to you, is this true?
  • Do you have gray hairs? I'm getting the impression that what you are protesting happened to you, is this true?
    I have zero grey hairs. My dad barely has any grey hair, or lost any. And he's past 48. Basically I have a high chance of having fuckwin genes concerning my hair. I'm just of the mind that Sonic should kick reason to the curb and just be so awesome that even his genes obey his will.
  • Do you have gray hairs? I'm getting the impression that what you are protesting happened to you, is this true?
    I have zero grey hairs. My dad barely has any grey hair, or lost any. And he's past 48. Basically I have a high chance of having fuckwin genes concerning my hair. I'm just of the mind that Sonic should kick reason to the curb and just be so awesome that even his genes obey his will.
    Kicking reason aside and achieving the impossible! That's the Team Dai-Gurren way!
  • edited September 2009
    I think this is just an elaborate plan to change your handle -

imageimageimageimage
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • edited September 2009
    My dad barely has any grey hair, or lost any.
    Maternal grandfather determines hair genes, Nine.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Kicking reason aside and achieving the impossible! That's the Team Dai-Gurren way!
    That's actually part of my creed for this year. It's part of my plan to be EPIC.

Anyways...
    If you want silver, bleaching may not be the best way. If you don't mind or prefer being white haired, then go for it.
    What would I do if I wanted it to be silver?
  • What would I do if I wanted it to be silver?
    I forgot to ask if you had light or dark hair. If you have dark hair, disregard my advice. If you don't, all you'll need is a dye.
  • Maternal grandfather determines hair genes, Nine.
    Is that actually true? I've heard that here and there all my life, but it doesn't seem to reconcile with my (admittedly meager) understanding of genetics.
    Is that actually true? I've heard that here and there all my life, but it doesn't seem to reconcile with my (admittedly meager) understanding of genetics.
    It's possible if the gene for hair and things like that is on the maternal X Chromosome.
  • edited September 2009
    It's possible if the gene for hair and things like that is on the maternal X Chromosome.
    Hmm. This article says that no, this is apparently not true. I didn't realize that there were certain traits that were on either maternal or paternal chromosomes. I thought you just throw all the chromosomes together, and you get what you get, depending on dominance and recessiveness.

EDIT: I guess that article's just talking about hair loss, so graying may or may not be the same...
    Post edited by Funfetus on
    Makes little difference. :)
  • You will look like a fucking Emo kid, but gay.