This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Picture the Impossible and other Alternate Reality Game

GeoGeo
edited September 2009 in Technology
I'm pretty sure a lot of you know about this, but if you don't I guess I'll tell you. Picture the Impossible is an Alternate reality game that was developed in-house by RIT. It looks to have a lot of promise so I signed up for it. I hope more discussion will be had about it in this thread in the future.

Picture the Impossible

The game begins on Saturday and I can't wait.

Comments

• I signed up. It looks interesting. I'll see how much of it I'm able to do online. I probably won't do any real life activities because of my lack of transportation and such. As well as a lack of free time.
  • It's great to see how excited people are about the game. I've actually been working on the game. During the spring quarter I was apart of the design team, and then helped with some of the content development over the summer, and I'll be doing some more design and development stuff while the game is going on (for instance I'll be at the clothesline festival Sunday handing out special codes for the game's players.)

I'd love to talk about it more, but I can't really say much. I'll be able to talk about it more once its done.
  • Kiey, is it at all possible to play without being anywhere near Rochester? Or does lack of location diminish the enjoyment?
  • It is entirely possible to play it and not be in Rochester, there are web games that you can play. There are also a number of narrative related things that will be taking place online.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    It is entirely possible to play it and not be in Rochester, there are web games that you can play. There are also a number of narrative related things that will be taking place online.
    I think the thing that convinced me how professional it was, was when I had to enter my phone number to get the activation number. No sooner did I click save, did the phone immediately ring with activation number in tow. I was like "Goddamn that was fast!!" Also Nine is completely unfamiliar with and has no idea how ARGs work.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Also Nine is completely unfamiliar with and has no idea how ARGs work.
    I have an idea how ARGs work, that's why I asked the question. True, I never participated in one, but I can still read, and the site clearly states: "The game engages members of the community in exploration of the City of Rochester", thus I was wondering if one had to be on location to get clues for later on-line stuff, or whether you can just be anywhere in the world, thus missing out on the entire exploration of Rochester part of the game, and only do the on-line stuff without hitting a wall because you're in Africa or wherehaveyou.
  • It's great to see how excited people are about the game. I've actually been working on the game. During the spring quarter I was apart of the design team, and then helped with some of the content development over the summer, and I'll be doing some more design and development stuff while the game is going on (for instance I'll be at the clothesline festival Sunday handing out special codes for the game's players.)

I'd love to talk about it more, but I can't really say much. I'll be able to talk about it more once its done.
    I've seen you post about it before, I recall. You also got a Write-up on ARGN.net(don't know how that happened ~_^), and I suspect that you might have more than a few unfiction forum members in the running.
  • Also Nine is completely unfamiliar with and has no idea how ARGs work.
    I have an idea how ARGs work, that's why I asked the question. True, I never participated in one, but I can still read, and the site clearly states: "The game engages members of the community in exploration of the City of Rochester", thus I was wondering if one had to be on location to get clues for later on-line stuff, or whether you can just be anywhere in the world, thus missing out on the entire exploration of Rochester part of the game, and only do the on-line stuff without hitting a wall because you're in Africa or wherehaveyou.
    The game is designed to be really friendly towards the online only player. Basically it was constructed under the idea that 90% of the players are going to play it casually, meaning that they are only going to play the online game, or do the newspaper puzzles. 9% are going to be using the forums, and going out into the city to do the puzzles or do the real world stuff. And that last 1% are the people who are really into it and will be digging deep into the narrative stuff, and be really pushing that side of it while doing the other stuff.

So because of that we are making sure that even if you just play the game online its going to be fun for you, since most people who play the game will never go farther then that. It's just that the more you get engaged with the game the more you'll be rewarded with in-game points, achievements, and fun stuff.
  • edited September 2009
    Registered, but slightly disappointed - All was well until I signed in and Validated my facebook account, at which point the site broke - can't view my profile page, nor my settings page - and every page is telling me that I've not Validated my Facebook account, even though it's told me that I have on the one time I was able to do so on my settings page.

Edit - aaaaand then the entire site went down for me. Anyone else having trouble?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Registered, but slightly disappointed - All was well until I signed in and Validated my facebook account, at which point the site broke - can't view my profile page, nor my settings page - and every page is telling me that I've not Validated my Facebook account, even though it's told me that I have on the one time I was able to do so on my settings page.

Edit - aaaaand then the entire site went down for me. Anyone else having trouble?
    I don't remember the support email address off the top of my head, but if you message the facebook PTI fan page someone should be able to help you out in no time.
  • @Kiey, good to hear. I still probably won't bother since I'm not that interested and am bound to forget about it.
  • edited September 2009
    I don't remember the support email address off the top of my head, but if you message the facebook PTI fan page someone should be able to help you out in no time.
    Edit - Fixed it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    @Kiey, good to hear. I still probably won't bother since I'm not that interested and am bound to forget about it.
    That's what delicious is for and how can you not find the concept of an ARG uninteresting?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • That's what delicious is for and how can you not find the concept of an ARG uninteresting?
    Maybe it's the game itself, rather than ARGs in general. For example, I don't really care about Institute for Human Continuity, however, I really liked Perplex City and something in the sea.
  • Any of you guys get out and get any of the codes this weekend? I was handing out codes for a few hours today, it was cool to see the game in action, with people really getting into it.
  • Any of you guys get out and get any of the codes this weekend? I was handing out codes for a few hours today, it was cool to see the game in action, with people really getting into it.
    Well, I can't really participate so far, but as soon as the online games come out, I'll be up that like a rat up a rafter. Also, I've noticed that the watch are getting into it quite well, nothing but praise from us, though one of our number are getting paranoid, because another team - not sure which faction - pulled the same horse-photos/model that they did, within a very short period of time.