This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Norman Bourlag, 1914 - 2009.

edited September 2009 in Everything Else
Norman Borlaug, one of the greatest men of the past century, died of cancer on September 12th. Every time a a famous person dies there's always plenty of talk on this forum as to whether or not one should care. In the case of Borlaug there is plenty of reason to mourn, and though his passing will have no direct effect on my own life I do find it truly saddening that he is gone. Simply reading of his accomplishments brings forth a surge of humility and awe akin to few others, and for that I honor him.

Rest in peace, Mister Borlaug.

Comments

• It's weird that no one has commented on this yet, it is a terrible loss indeed.
  • That is terrible news. I was looking at the thread and thinking. "Where do I know that name..."

And then it hit me like a ton of bricks. That is horrible.
  • There's not much to say beyond QFT, it's horrible, etc. People here tend to only post if there's an actual discussion to be had as opposed to posting for the sake of posting. Believe me, we all knew about and had the utmost respect for Norman Bourlag, but I think we can do a little bit more in his memory than spend our time making pointless forum postings.
  • I don't really think it's "horrible," just sad. I mean, the guy was 95. He lived a long, full life and accomplished a great many things. He impacted the lives of hundreds of thousands of people for the better. How many people can say that? Even if he didn't die from cancer, he was most likely going to die within the next few years, statistically speaking. I think all in all, it would be much better to celebrate his life and what he accomplished, to speak his name and make it known for what he did, and to continue to work for the same goals he espoused if you find him inspirational.
  • I didn't comment because I don't think it is a terrible loss. He did a huge amount of good in the world, lived to a very old age, then died. Unless he was working on a massive project as he died which only he could possibly finish, then it would be a great loss. But I doubt that is the case.

Similar story with Michael Jackson. I've been missing hearing new music from him for a decade. When he died it wasn't as if he had an uncompleted masterwork of an album he was slaving away at... so why should his death matter to me personally? Maybe he would have done more work in the future, but, as far as I could tell, that seemed quite unlikely.
  • Nuri, I couldn't agree more. When people live long, accomplished lives and had the benefits of lasting, loving relationships - what is there to mourn? Celebrate their life and memory by continuing their cause or at the very least appreciating their contribution.
    Hold up his memory to those that ignorantly fight against his work and thank the stars that he, and others like him, lived at all.
  • I don't know, the was active even in his 90's, he might go on my list of people that "immortality didn't come quick enough for". So I figure we can be sad for that.
  • Active in his 90's is one thing, but I doubt he was still making the kind of breakthoughs he did 50 years ago. THAT was when he made a big difference.
  • edited September 2009
    When people live long, accomplished lives and had the benefits of lasting, loving relationships - what is there to mourn? Celebrate their life and memory by continuing their cause or at the very least appreciating their contribution.
    This is why I will have clowns, balloon animals, whiskey, video games, and Weezer at my wake. I plan on putting the fun back in funeral. I am not kidding. There will be no body (as I will be cremated), and if you loved me you will be expected to partake in the pizza a (real) buffalo wings.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I always have planned on making a mix CD of funny songs about being dead to be played at my funeral.
  • This is why I will have clowns, balloon animals, whiskey, video games, and Weezer at my wake. I plan on putting the fun back in funeral. I am not kidding. There will be no body (as I will be cremated), and if you loved me you will be expected to partake in the pizza a (real) buffalo wings.
    Why do you have the same ideas as me?! There'll be a ban on gloom and dark clothing in my case.
  • My mom wants a New Orleans funeral if she dies old, with Jazz and a hearse with black horses.

One of my favorite short films is "The Town of the Water Wheels" by Akira Kurosawa. A man comes into a small town and there is a bright parade by the river. People are singing and playing music, dressed in bright colors. The man asks what festival it is and the people tell him it's a funeral. He is so surprised that everyone is celebrating, but the man explains that the person who died was a 90 year old lady who lived a full and happy life - What's not to celebrate? That little movie struck a chord in me, and I think it encapsulates my feelings toward the death of the old. I'd rather celebrate their long, happy life than mourn the fact that I can't see them anymore.
  • Another great movie with a New Orleans funeral is "Live and Let Die" the James Bond film starring Roger Moore. Near the beginning there is a funeral procession going down the road, and it's very sad. A guy asks whos funeral it is. The answer? YOURS. He gets stabbed and the funeral procession turns all New Orleans happy style.
  • Since I will be dead, I don't really care what anyone does about my death. Whatever helps the people that I loved and that loved me is perfectly acceptable in my book. I am not really into body worship, funerals, graveyards (seriously, build some housing, parks, municipal buildings, wildlife refuge, etc. on that wasted space) and so forth. However, if my next of kin wants it, so be it. They are the ones that matter since they are still alive.
  • I've always said that when I die, I want a party. Fuck funerals. If you need to mourn, do so privately, or in a small group, or however you need to, but if you're doing anything in a large group to honor me, it needs to involve food, booze, and dancing. And possibly a fire.
  • I've always said that when I die, I want a party. Fuck funerals. If you need to mourn, do so privately, or in a small group, or however you need to, but if you're doing anything in a large group to honor me, it needs to involve food, booze, and dancing. And possibly a fire.
    Funeral Pyre? Your body on a longboat burning into the sea?
  • I'm not going to die.
  • I'm not going to die.
    That sounds like you are baiting death.
    edited September 2009
    I'm not going to die.
    That sounds like you are baiting death.
    That he does, but do not worry, Cheese is Russian but/and raised in the ways of Australia. He'll just outwit Death.
    Post edited by ... on
  • That he does, but do not worry, Cheese is Russian but/and raised in the ways of Australia. He'll just outwit Death.
    I'm pretty sure I took that as an elective in High school.